Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

big problems

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by smilts, Oct 5, 2006.

1. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

big problems

I just completed A1 normal at lvl 18 with a twinked vanilla paladin. When I went to the guy to go to A2 it beeped and switched to the closed door and that was it. This is the first character I'v played since I switched computers a few days ago. If anyone knows anything on this or if it can be fixed I would be grateful for any advice

2. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Does you computer play d2 sounds correctly?

Most problems related to act transitions are due to sound issues. Either using the -nosound switch or a problem with the sound card/drivers.

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I have seen some people claiming that the ingame movies cause the game to crash. Try run the game in a window (put -w in a target behind the "...diabloii.exe" in the properties of your Diablo icon), the movies will be skipped.

4. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Ok I just got back from a soccer game for my son. I tried the windows thing and now I know that the beep is an aler saying unhandled exception DII. So I really dont know whatss going on

Edit: I had forgot finishing act 1 with my nec I just trried taking him to A2 and got the same response with him.

Edit: note it also says access violation (c0000005)
    thinking of maybe just backing up my characters and reloading DII

5. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

I used to have this same problem a long time ago.

My CPU was running at an overclocked speed at the time, and changing it back to normal solved the problem. I read this solution somewhere, that games can crash when your system is overclocking the CPU. It can be changed in your bios settings at startup. If you don't know anything about this then I recommend finding someone who does that can check your CPU and its speed (See your CPU manual for its intended speed, and check the System icon in the Control panel to see what your processor is actually running at).

Another crash fix I came upon was the sound (I'm saying this because someone else mentioned sound problems). This occurred only in Worldstone Keep for me, but basically I think my sound file was corrupted, so I simply turned the sound all the way down in the options menu. No more troubles.

Hopefully one of these (I'm guessing more likely the first option) will help you. Good luck.

6. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

m niether option there are no sounds I cant even get into the sounds menu.
    Was slighlty overclocked I reset all the values to default np there, still same problem I'm remaking two chars tonight and seeing if I can get them into a2 if not I dont know

7. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

There are no sounds? If you're not getting any sound in d2 then that is the problem. The game crashes unless it has an active sounds device when transitioning from act to act. My sound card died in an older computer and I had to copy chars to a different computer in order to move to the next act.

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

What OS are you using and how much memory. If it is pre-xp and has >512mb or a gig then that is likely your problem.
    Check this thread

9. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

nah im running a 2 gig procc with 512ram on a home edit. xp. Oh and I think my card is dead anyone know how to change them over I have 3 pc's sitting here.

EDIT: nvm thnx for all the help I installed a new sound card real quick everything is fine now!