Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Big Gems Changes

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Big Gems Changes

Did everyone actually compare the new emerald stats to D2 emeralds? I hadn't looked closely until last night, when I was updating the Gems page, and actually went and looked at D2 emerald stats. The d3 one is totally different!

D2X normal quality (L3) emerald:
    • Weapons: 17 poison damage over 1 second
    • Armor & Helms: +6 dexterity.
    • Shields: +22% Poison Resistance

D3 (L3) emerald:
    • Weapon: +4% Casting Speed.
    • Helms: Attackers take 7 damage.
    • Other: +7 dexterity

So emeralds in body armor won't be all that different, but in everything else, there's a complete change. Obviously, +cast speed vs. +poison damage totally changes the classes that will want an emerald in their weapon.

Even the classification/grouping of items for socketed effects are different, with helms / armor granting different bonuses.

Look at the broader applications. If Emeralds don't add poison damage to weapons, or poison resistance to shields, then it seems likely that none of the gems will. So what will the topaz, ruby, or sapphire do in a weapon or shield, then? There's no logical connection between Emeralds and +spell casting rate, or Attackers take X damage, so it seems like the field's wide open.

Incidentally, skull gems seem to be gone. I don't recall seeing any yet in D3, and even if the do return, what would they do? Emeralds get Attackers Take Damage, though in helms rather than shields, as skulls granted it. There's going to be no or very little leech in D3, so skull weapons are out. And hps regen is very rare (if it exists at all), and there may not be mana regen at all, due to changes to the resource systems. That's all the skull properties gone, right there?

2. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

Re: Big Gems Changes

I think another question this brings up is with the poison resistance gone, does this mean none of the other gems give resistances? And does that also mean that resisting and resistances play less of a role in Diablo 3 than they did in Diablo 2?

As for the other stats, yea my guess is we'll see new stats play their part in Diablo 3. With the Wizard being my first choice character, I'm excited for the +casting speed.

3. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

D3 (L3) emerald:

• Weapon: +4% Casting Speed.
    • Helms: Attackers take 7 damage.
    • Other: +7 dexterity

I bolded what I believe to be the key part. The "Other: +7 dexterity" strongly suggests that gems will be the main way of customizing attributes, seeing as it covers so many item slots. Perhaps more importantly, "other" most likely also applies to the Talisman as well, which has long been assumed to be a stat customization feature anyway.

About the other gems, I expect they'll borrow some of the more useful D2X rune stats, like +% Attack Speed and such, though in far more modest amounts than runes did.

4. Doppel

Doppel Banned

So, does anyone think the helm mod "attacker takes 7 damage" will be of any use?
    They surely weren't of any use in D2, maybe now there's more to it, but what?

I obviously don't know anything about the balance of the game yet, but the particular gem seems to be weirdly balanced none the less. If casting speed will be anywhere as important as it was in D2 then the weapon mod seems super over-powered. I'm going to assume that stats will become much more important such that +7 dexterity actually is very significant (i hope). And lastly the helm mod just seems super underpowered in contrast, even if there's more to it (unless it scales with enhanced damage? o_O).

5. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

These are stats for a level 3 Gem, out of 14 levels. As such I'm assuming the stats will scale accordingly so that an easily attainable level 10 Gem has maybe ATD of 50+ while the highly sought after level 14 Gem has maybe ATD of 150+

I would also assume that the stat of FCR for weapons will be a much lower, but still comparable, value, maybe 20% FCR at level 14 Gem as opposed to the 4 it is now. So a multiplier of 5 compared to the multiplier of 21 for the ATD mod. This then assumes that the FCR mod will scale well with spell damage so that both mods are roughly balanced by end game.

Apologies if this doesn't make sense, I have been up for the past 30 hours writing my Thesis report on how external factors can affect employee motivation in the workplace, and as such my writing style is a little, well cack, at the moment, as is my judgement.

6. Doppel

Doppel Banned

It could also be that the weapon mod just adds 1 each levels while the ATD mod multiplies after certain gem upgrades.
    Also, is it a fact that this is a level 3 gem? Or are we assuming this? (dunno)
    Anyways, at level 14 it could be +15% casting speed. (which i assume is still very significant)

7. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Maybe some gem stats are class related? Barbie & Monkey get FAS and WeeDee and Wizzy get FCT. That would give even more an unique feel when playing with a toon!

8. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

@OP: yeah, I wanted to take a look at the differences but didn't have time.

Maybe the skull gem comes back with the exp? ;DDDD

But... in a more serious note, what the hell is a SKULL GEM?:whistling:

So, D3 is like an external factor in your other activity or it's the other way around? =P

9. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

Yeah, pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, but failed at.

I'm pretty sure we have confirmation it's a level 3 Gem, but don't know where that comes from. Maybe I'm just assuming that since Flux has stated it's a level 3 Gem it MUST be a level 3 Gem!

Well in this instance, D3 was the external factor, creeping in and affecting my motivation negatively...wait...why am I typing this? I've handed my work in now! :crazyeyes:

10. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

The gem stats are from the artisan video it's a "normal emerald" it worth 7 coins if you sell it as for tier 3 dunno but its clearly a low tier one could even be a tier 2 (doubt its a tier 4 though)

11. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

In FLUX we trust, trust...

My major concern is that there's a lot of items and almost all of the gem effects are +stats. It's like the talisman isn't even necessary.

See? That's what I thought, it is your work that is affecting your D3 motivatio negatively, you even failed while trying to say something THIS IMPORTANT! :whistling:

12. themo

themo IncGamers Member

I think, almost everything that fun seems to be gone. There are only 5-6 gems (no jewels, just gems) with different quality levels, that's all we have. (how can we expect good customization with those?)

On the other hand, let's look at, for example, Titan Quest. It has at least 100 wholly different gem-like things each has different quality levels and when you combine them to the last level, bonuses change each time. There are no socketed items also, except uniques, you can insert into every weapons, shields even rings and amulets. That's what I call "customization".

If you compare those with D3, it's so small game, Diablo 3 is like a small Titan Quest rip off.

13. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Titan Quest's Relics could not be applied to the two highest quality items, each Relic was restricted to 1, 2, or 5 item types, and due to the very varied nature of their bonuses most of them actually completely useless for most builds.

Come to think of it, there wasn't much customization. There wasn't any real focus to them, just add a small bonus to your crappy items in case you didn't found good epic or legendary item. The lesson here is that for customization options to be meaningful, they shouldn't be as marginal and all over the place like TQ's Relics were.

14. Larik

Larik IncGamers Member

jay mentioned in one of his recent interviews that the highest level gems will be more for min/maxers but won't be needed to enjoy the game. i don't think we will see something as significant as a 3x difference between a level 10 and 14 gem. obviously this is all speculation based off of what he said until we get some actual numbers.

15. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

I agree, I think D3 definitely needs more customization. Perhaps some kind of rune-like item that lets you change the way skills work? That would be pretty cool.

Also, I think it's a shame Blizzard has already revealed all the customization options, since that rules out the possibility of some currently unannounced customization making it into the final game.

16. themo

themo IncGamers Member

Variations are useless?!??!?!?

So, for example, how is that useful in Diablo 3:

"Helms: Attackers take 7 damage"

Attackers take only 7 damage for LEVEL 3 emerald! and you think that's useful? how about chipped (level 1) emerald? Attackers take 1-2 damage or something? Just How on earth is that useful?

17. delosombres

delosombres IncGamers Member

I agree with you here, Doppel. "Attacker takes damage" is completely useless affix in D2. You want to kill enemies as fast and safe as you can. You do not want to wait to death until they kill themselves by hitting you, which of course never happens in D2 because of the ridiculously small numbers of ATD and because of your... defense. You do not want to keep it at low values right? Well, okay, to be fair, maybe it works on the Fallen Ones with naked character during normal difficulty. :thumbup: The only way i could imagine this thing working is in PvP only and with significantly increased numbers. Or, maybe... if they would change it from "attacker that hits you takes damage" to just "attacker takes damage".

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  18. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

These stats can be made to scale with other modifiers... Or balanced in other ways. You are taking conceptual, out of the blue numbers and pointing to them as immediately useless. Sure.

They did? Linky.

19. diablosminion

diablosminion IncGamers Member

@Themo

I think its very unfair for you to judge those elements of the game when they are not even finished yet. Those could be just place holders for the yet to come stats for the gems. I also think its unfair how you just pick one point and fail to get the whole picture.

@Moonfrost
    OMG! those sound so cool! You need to go tell blizz that they need to add something like that and while you are there make sure you tell them how displeasing it is to know all their customization systems already thanks :thumbup:

20. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty pumped that they are bringing back the faster cast speed stat. However, do you think it will be like diablo 2 with breakpoints?

I certainly hope not. As fun as it was to itemize gear perfectly to hit that next break point, it's lame that there's no difference for say sorceresses with 60% and 80% faster cast rate in D2 (example, don't quote me for actual numbers, if you know what breakpoints are for fcr, fhr, ias in D2 you'll get the gist of my statement).

I certainly hope that 10 years later they will have advanced technology enough that there is a linear progression of things like faster hit recovery, faster cast rate, and increased attack speed. Or at least I can hope =)