Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Big Brother is watching

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onionfarm, Jun 24, 2005.

1. onionfarm

onionfarm IncGamers Member

2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

OMG! Now they've gotten to Snopes!

Seriously, the keyboard logger chip idea is pretty silly, but it isn't like someone "official" couldn't trojan a copy of Windoze with little or no effort.

I think the only hardware of this nature I've heard of has been some of the stuff installed only at user request (and I believe a nifty price tag too) to help lock or wipe information in case of theft. I suppose some corporate couriers use that kind of thing, but why bother if you can do it with software?

"This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds."

3. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

If you have sensitive information on your computer and authorities come knocking, place a magnet on your hardrive. I got the 2"x1" neodymium magnet and that is freaking strong! If I wasn't careful, it would crush my finger no problem. One swipe of that and you get all 0's on your HD.

4. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You'd be surprised... if you want to be sure, you have to open the HDD case and have it directly contact the platters.

5. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Really?? Even with a super-powerful magnet? A neodymium magnet of the same size as an iron magnet has 10x the strength.

6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Yeah, we've got one that meets the MILSPEC - has to be kept in a special shielded box & everything, so that it doesn't leap across the room & attack people. :) Damn thing gave me a blood blister by pinching a corner of one finger.

They get weaker with use, and even when new, they found through spot checks that data wasn't being destroyed. The SOP was to make 7 strokes across the HDD face, then 7 strokes at a right angle to that.

They were still able to retrieve useable data... so I try to go with another group I work with now, who use a big wood chipper device instead (fun!).