Biblical Inconsistencies

Underseer

Diabloii.Net Member
Lithium said:
"The OT was meant to be a collection of stories for providing moral guidance".

Oh, thank you for your spiritual insight, great one.
Then refute the above inconsistencies, because if the OT is 100% literally true and fact-checked by God, then the above inconsistencies shouldn't exist.

Or do you still believe the sun orbits the Earth?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Underseer said:
Then refute the above inconsistencies, because if the OT is 100% literally true and fact-checked by God, then the above inconsistencies shouldn't exist.

Or do you still believe the sun orbits the Earth?
LOL. If you think the Bible is true, you must also think the sun orbits the earth. Man, I've never seen anything go more logically from A to B.

Anyhow, there are several passages in the Bible that can actually have decent debate surrounding their veracity. Most of these, however, seem to be "discovered" by someone who had an extremely large bias against the Bible to begin with.

Anakha1

Banned
AeroJonesy said:
Most of these, however, seem to be "discovered" by someone who had an extremely large bias against the Bible to begin with.
Or who have a more objective viewpoint and not that bias in favour of the bible or the willfull blindness to its fallacies that the believers do.

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
-Isaac Asimov

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha, the person who wrote this certainly did not have an objective viewpoint. At least, that's the way it seems to me given some of the "inconsistencies" cited.

Anakha1

Banned
AeroJonesy said:
Anakha, the person who wrote this certainly did not have an objective viewpoint. At least, that's the way it seems to me given some of the "inconsistencies" cited.
Granted, but I was just making a general statement, not one directed at anyone in particular. Not all critics of the bible come from an immediately biased standpoint.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, ok, I thought you were saying the author of this particular piece came from an objective viewpoint.

Underseer

Diabloii.Net Member
AeroJonesy said:
LOL. If you think the Bible is true, you must also think the sun orbits the earth. Man, I've never seen anything go more logically from A to B.

Anyhow, there are several passages in the Bible that can actually have decent debate surrounding their veracity. Most of these, however, seem to be "discovered" by someone who had an extremely large bias against the Bible to begin with.
I'm not arguing against the Bible, I'm arguing against taking the entire OT literally. If you want to be 100% literal, then the sky is a physical barrier that stops the rain from falling to the ground.

The inconsistencies themselves exist, and refute the idea that the OT should be taken 100% literally, as pretty much every Bible scholar will tell you that the way to resolve the consistencies is to take them in context, which generally works out to taking one side or the other of an inconsistency to be something other than literal.

Oh, and most people who have a bias against the Bible are disinclined to read the whole thing that closely. Generally they will use the works of Bible scholars as a sort of "filter" into whatever they're looking for, so it's not correct to say the discovery is made by people with a bias against the Bible. I know Bible scholars and they're anything but against the Bible.

cougar

Diabloii.Net Member
nah.. i think it was one of those "chuck a grenade and run like hell" threads. Too bad he forgot to pull the pin on the grenade first before throwing it.

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
I didnt read them all, stopped when I got to the "he could not defeat" part because it was so ravaged from context.

felstorm

Diabloii.Net Member
cougar said:
nah.. i think it was one of those "chuck a grenade and run like hell" threads. Too bad he forgot to pull the pin on the grenade first before throwing it.
Correction.

Threw the pin and held the grenade.

Hellfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's a funny inconsistency from the Koran: The Koran claims it is unholy to drink wine, yet it also claims that when you die you get to swim in rivers of wine :lol: :scratch: :teeth: :xmad:

Pierrot le Fou

Diabloii.Net Member
Hellfire said:
Here's a funny inconsistency from the Koran: The Koran claims it is unholy to drink wine, yet it also claims that when you die you get to swim in rivers of wine :lol: :scratch: :teeth: :xmad:
I fail to see the contradiction. If you understood the conception of the word 'holy' as it generally entails, then that wouldn't be a contradiction in the slightest.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I will gladly respond to inconsistencies given two ground rules:

1. You post one or two at a time, then I respond, then you post one or two more, etc.
I'm not going to have someone cut and paste 500 of them, and then expect me to spend 20 hours looking them all up when this thread will prolly slip to the second page and die anyway. Also, this increases the chances you've chosen decent ones, which brings us to #2:

2. Try to get a non-biased source
This pretty much excludes the list posted above. Once it starts listing inconsistencies like "Omg, the Bible says I can't steal, but it never says I can't defraud!" then you know you have a biased list. "But some of them might be good ones!" you say. Sure they might, but the list is tainted. For instance, when I looked up the Goliath "inconsistency" above, I found that they were two different Goliaths from two different time periods. What looked like a real inconsistency on the outside was actually a colossal waste of my time to look up. So try to find someone who's done his research, at least.

This could be fun. Heck, I need to read my Bible more anyway. :flip:

Pierrot le Fou

Diabloii.Net Member
Hence the earlier comment by me stating that this poster needs a study bible which usually points such things out.

Generally they're issues with multiple translations and whatnot.

Who knew modern scholars would have so much trouble translating ancient languages?

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
I dont see what makes it not 100% accurate. It isnt a history book by any means, just stories.