Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bhammer VS Naga

Discussion in 'Classic' started by waaaghboss, Apr 28, 2005.

1. waaaghboss

waaaghboss IncGamers Member

Bhammer VS Naga

Going to build a bvb, and was planning on going my normal route (naga). I sat down and took a seroius look at bhammers, and from the looks of it they blow nagas out of the water. 10 higher average damage, higher minimum damage, same range/speed doesnt matter, only drawback is they require more str. Which I can easily make up for. Hell, I could even end up with a nice -req bhammer. Normally I went the axe route because theres so many bsnap barbs out there that Id rather go with style (ancient axe = sexxay), but im wondering why the naga even holds a candle to the bhammer. Oh, and I hate exec swords.

/wall of text

2. miceman

miceman IncGamers Member

speed and range still matters for bvb cause it determins how long and how many times you hit

3. waaaghboss

Speed doesnt affect ww,,,,,and I think bhammer and naga have same range (at least according to this site they do).

4. waaaghboss

>_<

I came this close > < to getting a 187ed naga. Guy almost went for skins, 8 pskulls, and 2 of his choice of rings (dual stats, soso).

>_< If i can get my hands on a 187naga id definatly go naga, best bhammer I have is 100ed.

5. Jezza

Jezza IncGamers Member

you got it all wrong.

Battle hammers have the lower str (100) and naga requires more (121).

In classic, weapon speed isnt a factor in ww hits. You always hit max regardless.

Battle hammer stats: 35-58 base dmg; 46.5 average dmg; speed (not that it matters) 20; range 1.

Naga stats: 16-45 base dmg; 30.5 average dmg; speed (not important) 0; range 3.

So a naga has more range, less dmg and more str req. Naga is very nice because it has a better chance of hitting 6 (or 7? not sure max amount of hits per target) times because you hit before the battlehammer is even in range, and after the battlehammer is out of range. If they get 4 hits per ww, and you land 6, that more then makes up for the lesser dmg of the naga.

Cold dmg is more helpful to battlehammers, (especially if you both get affected by cold) because it gives them more time to make their hits, so a better chance of landing more hits. Thus if your going naga, I suggest no cold damage to make the most of your range.

A lot of damage in bvb is due to open wounds, so if you are wise, you will try and drag the fight out, letting open wounds do its work.

Another nice thing about axes is that you can be bva with the stats of a normal bvb naga barb because ancient axes only require 125 str.

I recommend having 61 str on a naga bvb barb. The rest should go into vit. Use a 3 socketed perf amethest helm (30 str), twitch (10 str) and a 20 str belt. That gives you 121 strength.

If you want to change to bva, get yourself an ancient axe, use the 20 str belt, 10+str on your rings, ~10 str on gloves and fill the rest out with str on an ammy. For bva you need good res, so try to get some of those str items with nice res (in particular, light res and cold res). As for all bva, keep a hawkmail in your invent for dueling cold sorcs, and I would recommend blinkbat for all others. 30 frw boots with nice lr and cr are best.

A barb is very gear dependant, and a bvb/bva hybrid more so then most. The beaty is you can do well vs all chars then. You truly are a bva (that includes the bvb which most bva's cant handle).

Setup for naga bvb as follows:
    Helm - 3 socket helm, socketed with perfect amethests.
    Ammy/Rings - Angelics
    Armour - Twitchthroe (that correct spelling?) (unique studded leather armour)
    Shield - Swordback hold (unique spiked shield)
    Boots - Goblin toe (unique light plated boots)
    Gloves - Bloodfist (unique heavy gloves)
    Belt - A nice rare belt w/ 20 str, life, fhr
    Weapon - A nice rare Naga w/ high ed (adds fire dmg good mod too)

Setup for ancient axe bva as follows:
    Helm - Nice rare helm w/ fhr, (two of lr, cr or fr) and life
    Ammy - Rare amulet with +skills, prizmatic, (str or life good too)
    Rings - Rare rings with high str and res
    Armour - Hawkmail vs cold sorcs, Blinkbat vs all others
    Boots - Rare bootws w/ 30 frw, good lr and cr res.
    Gloves - Rare gloves adding to str and res (mana leech a bonus, ias not used)
    Belt - A nice rare belt w/ 20 str, life, fhr and res (life and fhr not needed as much as res and str)
    **Optional**
    Shield - Stacked res shield (3 sock ptopaz for lr or psaph for cr) or priz 30/20

So thats what I would use for a barb with 61 str, rest in vit. If you were to go Bhammer for bvb, then you should use a belt that has nice str and cold dmg, and a high dmg bhammer. Also you could get away with 40 str instead of 61 for naga.

I recommend naga though.

6. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Just a friendly note folks, you can edit any of your posts within one hour of that post.

We ask that you do that rather than double post.

7. PreGenitor

PreGenitor Banned

A high ED Naga also costs alot more than a Bhammer with the same mods.

For instance, a 140 naga is godly in terms of ED% while a 140 BH is considered junk.

I would consider making a bhammer baba, they are easier to achieve in terms of finding the right bhammer and can also give you the added life bonuses (2 hits vs more hp cancels out eachother)

And if you can afford a 140 naga, you can afford most of the common dupes floating around.

160% ED+ Naga or 160% ED+ Bhammer
    Helm : Cruel Visage // Hailstone Casque for 1 soj
    Ammy : Hclasp for 1 soj
    Rings : Bturns // Scoils for 1/2 soj each
    Boots : Gtoes for pskulls
    Armor : Twitch for pskulls
    Shield : Sback for pskulls
    Gloves : Gfingers for 1 soj

The only set back is to have to wait until lvl 46 to wear most the items...

8. Jezza

Jezza IncGamers Member

I'm talking ladder. And while a same ed Naga might be more expensive then a same ed Bham, its much of a muchness.

Expect to pay around the same ammount for a godly Naga/Hammer in the 180+ed range. (ladder) As always, the weapons mods are a big factor in determining worth. Nat fire/poison (cold for bhams), high ar, str or life, adds min, max or x-y are all very good mods.

Especially adds x-y dmg. Everyone I've talked to tells me they owne people with better dmg weapons, because of the mod. I'm not sure whats the deal here, but thats what I've been told.

9. PreGenitor

PreGenitor Banned

Ohhh ladder ~~

It all depends on the skill the player has more than the weapon mostly. You can find actual bvb chars using gnasher axe because bvb is so much of a mess right now.

Unless your friends juv :)

10. Jezza

Jezza IncGamers Member

I've noticed in west no one really uses tactics lol. We just ww each other continuously until one dies or runs.

If you were using tactics, you would ww to the left (if you had naga) while someone with bham was wwing at you, so your range would be useful. I still maintain that naga > bham, especially in a skillful duelers hands.

using gnasher gives you 100% open wounds, I suppose you could get away with it in a duel, but not in a high lvl duel.

11. waaaghboss

Thanks for the replies.

I thought bhammer and naga had same range,,,,,due to info I got from this site -_-

As for being wrong on the str, I realize that now. A barb had shown me his naga,,,,and I think it probalby had a -30 req mod on it, because it was like 80 or 90 str req.

I was thinking of running
    Sigon helm
    Sigon shield
    Rcage
    Goblin toes
    Angelic rings and amulet
    Naga/bhammer
    Str/life/24fhr belt
    Bloodfists

That way I could get a good crushing blow, HIGH ar, and good block. I like the twitch/sb hold idea though.

Guess ill go axe though, I used to have a barb pre 1.10 who ran an ancient axe,,,and ancient axes are sooo sexxy ^^

12. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

It's not junk!

Hi Jezza, talked to u online a few hours ago. But I didn't tell u that last nite, I scrambled with CheesyFart, the paladin, over a 154 bh with +2 barb and cold dmg. Made my day... But I love naga's, when frenzy used to be fun...those were the days.

13. waaaghboss

I just traded for a 183%ed, AR, -20req naga,,,so that settles that...

Think I may have paid a bit much though,,,
    2 rare rings, dual stats w/ resists
    High dual res belt, 38 life, 13 str
    Goldskin
    +1 barb, 19% prism, 5mf, 19 str amulet

On ladder.

14. Jezza

Jezza IncGamers Member

Frenzy can still be viable....I think. Eh who cares, its crazy fun to run around at 200% frw.

I made one using 2 cleg swords and the gloves. Kinda sucked because frenzy now uses your weapon speed to determine how fast you hit. Is it me, or wasn't it like that in 1.09?

Doesnt sound like you paid too much for it. Thats a nice axe if you wanna strictly bvb.

15. ethos

ethos IncGamers Member

Good idea! This is a very viable setup. Me and my freind made one of these and it rocked at lvl 56. I would consider boosting strength a little so you can equip deaths sash vs cold dmg bhammer barbs. The cold really lags you. As long as you finish duels quickly, the open wounds shouldnt be that punishing. Also, you can swap out 1 angelic ring for a str/life/ar ring, because this way you will squeeze a little more life out of your character, and you will still have enough attack rating, because those sback/twich barbs rarely have over 2k defense.

16. waaaghboss

Yeah, I was thinking of going the death sash route myself. Most of the high level barbs I want to kill can afford to put a pshaphire in their weapon, and I already have enough str to equip my naga w/o str on the betl. Fists give me all the FHR I need, problem is actually finding a death sash, I never can get my hands on them >_<

17. magnet

magnet IncGamers Member

david, this is cody [antii]. do you have this hammer you're talking about? i'd be really interested in taking a look at it.

/w *antii-remix

18. Souther

Souther IncGamers Member

i currently have a lvl60 bvb using naga. Ive already maxed out axe mastery , whirldwind and battle orders. can anyone give me some advise or tactics when dueling with a naga.

items i use

sigon helm
    sigon glove
    anglic ring and ammy
    goblin toe
    Twitchthroe
    swordback
    naga (30-83)
    18 strength belt (no cold damage)

19. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Just read the thread and you will find advise and tactics about how to duel using a naga. I know it's a lot of text to read trough, but if you just read one post per day, you can have it finished in two and a half weeks. ;)
    And if you are hungry for more tips, Zodi left clues and hints scattered troughout the forum about naga use.

20. Zodijackyl

Zodijackyl IncGamers Member

Simply put, BvB, Battle Hammers are far superior to nagas.

30-83 damage is also extremely low on a naga, you'd be better off using the imbues on that barb on weps and making a new barb and then using its imbues in hopes for one (I wrote a guide on imbues a while back).

I really wouldn't go for a naga unless it was nicely modded above 135 or so, and very nice mods at that. Nagas have their uses, not on a BvB though.