Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bezerk and deadly strike/critical strike

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by goldenfrog, Feb 25, 2004.

1. goldenfrog

goldenfrog IncGamers Member

Bezerk and deadly strike/critical strike

I assume DS and CS work with Bezerk but when I use it I never get the DS/CS animation. Is this because the damage is Magic? or does it not work with bezerk?

2. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I assumed it did as well, but I've never looked closely into it. I'm interested in the answer from the experts as well. I loaded up on DS (81%.. death cleaver+gore riders) assuming it would double my zerking damage.

3. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

A few more questions..

Actually, I've been meaning to ask about how to increase my PvM damage output, and I suppose in this thread is as good as any other.

My barb is lvl 76, has maxed berzerk, shout and battle orders. He's got seven points free, and I think that the next skill I will max will be taunt, for the bonus to zerk damage (heh, I don't know why but I really love that skill{zerk}).

He's got a defiance merc from normal wearing eth gloom, eth crescent moon ogre axe, eth crown of thieves, putting him at 30K defense when I shout him (which I am REALLY happy about, that merc is doing GREAT at tanking).

He's wearing: Arreat, SS, Lionheart, 20 ias/ 5CB blood gloves, gore riders, tgods, +1 barb 6/6 dual amulet, blood ring, raven. Resists are fine, 4140 life, 75 blockabout 11k defense when not zerking. I'm really happy with his ability to tank, but his damage output is low (about 2.6K max zerk, maybe 3.4 with a might merc). He's got 80 ias, which is 10 (?) frame zerk I think. There was a breakpoint at 76%, so I went ahead and shaeled his axe to get from 60 to 80 ias.

His weapon is a death cleaver, and I am thinking this is the problem. I thought that the 66% deadly strike would make this weapon really shine, since with gores that's double damage practically every swing (80%, good enough for me). But I am finding that he kills very slowly, and I am only in a3 hell yet. I had no delusions that a barb was going to outkill a caster, but it seems he should do better.

I just added the crescent moon to his merc, and I am thinking this will make a great improvement when fighting mobs.

Any suggestions for increasing his damage output? BotD is out of my price range, and a might merc is unneeded because he's questing while partied with a paladin that has a nice one. I'm thinking that adding more crushing blow is the best way to speed him up. Any weapon suggestions? I like stormlash, I think I could probably get one of those for him. I didn't max a mastery yet, I didn't feel the 5% damage was worth it compared to 10% for taunt. Perhaps switching weapons and maxing a mastery instead of taunt is the way to go, to get back the critical strike that I lose when ditching the axe?

4. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

with warcry, a might merc and a two handed weapon, you will do LOADS more damage.

edit: oh i see you dont need the might merc. hehe right, you guys kinda swiched mercs since defiance is the pala merc (mellee pala's, but since hammer is a *** overpowered **** skill, i consider melee standard for a pala).

5. wind

wind IncGamers Member

I'm fairly sure that if you have some charms or gear that adds elemental damage to your attack, that will hide the DS/CS animation.

6. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

The synergies for Berserk are Shout and Howl - not taunt.

You are only lvl 76, you got a lot you can add to the dmg side via points in howl. I would also consider adding points to the mastery as your endgame, but since you have a lot of points in dexterity, those points are worth even less than they otherwise might have been. Unless you are swapping to a different skill for leech, you might think about trading the dual leech ammy for highlords wrath. It has +1 skills, deadly strike and 20% ias. That would allow you to trade the gore riders for a pair of War Travelers which have several nice mods for the berserker such as 25% r/w, +10 str, +10 vit, mf and the most important to the berserker - adds 15-25 to dmg. A few sharp charms in the inventory is also a nice addition.

7. goldenfrog

When I use concentration I get the DS/CS animation but I do not when I Zerk. This is with the same gear just left click zerk, right click con for leech. I have cold, fire, lightning and poison damage and still get the animation from DS/CS when I use con. rachil0 if you need help with your barb start a new thread insead of crapping on mine.

8. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

Oops, yeah I meant howl.
    I think the bonus from howl is 10%, so if I max it that's another 200% ed, roughly 500 more max. I think I will do that. I also think that highlords is a good idea, I hadn't considered that. With highlords, I can take the shael out of my axe, replace it with a 38% ed jewel, and I bet observe a a pretty significant increase in damage, because all that ~1000%ed will multiply a much larger base. I am using a different skill for leech, but the rest of my gear already has dual leech (14/3?) on it so I won't miss 6/6 too much. I think I'll stick with the gore riders, however.

If you get above 100% deadly strike, is there any bonus? I thought I read that you could get a chance for quad-damage when you went over 100%... there was some build based on a headstriker that leveraged that idea.

I don't think I understand this sentence. My dex pts are wasted, or my mastery points are wasted? To me, mastery seems like a pretty poor return since I've got so much DS. I'd sooner invest more into warcry than mastery. I guess you mean the dex isn't getting me damage, that's sort of a bummer.

:( Sorry, won't do it again. I thought our questions were somewhat related.

9. goldenfrog

Does anyone know why the DS/CS animation does not display when I use Bezerk?

10. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Golden:

Just to note, you're not technically getting the cs/ds animation with Conc either; conc doesn't have a custom graphic, and instead uses that animation as its default.

Rac:

As far as I know, DS caps at 95%; while it may display you having more than that, it's only effective up to 95%, just like virtually everything else in LoD. There is no way to get quad damage that I know of.

-Hal

11. goldenfrog

Ok now I'm even more confused. I get that animation about 75% of the time. What I'm doing is trying to test out my ds/cs %. I'm using Highlords now and I'm trying to decide if using Goreriders for the extra 15% is worth losing +2 combat skills(IK gloves, belt and boots) My main attack is Bezerk and the +2 adds a nice bit of AR and damage