Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

*%$#* bestbuy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dirkdig, Sep 9, 2006.

1. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

*%$#* bestbuy

so some of you probably have been keeping up with my computer threads, about how my laptop broke. So I took it to geeksquad.
    I asked some people here what's wrong, and I showed bestbuy the advice and they told me "they knew the laptop had a bad motherboard b/c they ran a test and it tested bad". They also told me it failed to boot from a harddrive and from a disc. They charged me 70$ for the diagnostic and told me that it would be impossible to fix the laptop and I'd have to buy a new one.

So I go and buy a new one. For kicks, my friend asked me for the laptop to see if he could fix it. He did in about 45 minutes, and he doesn't know anything about computers or have any special tools. He just looked online for advice about what certain error messages mean, and then randomly filled in some stuff in BIOS.

So now I've blown 800$ on a new laptop, and I feel scammed. Screw geeksquad, they're nothing but scam artists that best buy employs to increase their computer sales.

I asked him what he did to fix it, and he couldn't tell me because he didn't know. But he went back and showed me what he did, and I made a list. I'm going back to best buy and demanding they refund the 70$ at the VERY least.
    Here's what he did: as it booted, he pressed
    F10 for setup (BIOS SETTINGS)
    Advanced tab
    Primary master
    Enter
    Press minus to cycle to user
    Guessed on settings/stats
    Even incorrect settings allowed BIOS to recognize hard drive, thereby retrieving original windows and fixing computer

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

ok here's my spiel on bestbuy..

they are overpriced, period. Their stores are great in design i think but the service is pretty bad and the i never actually bought anything there.. only browsing. I tend to find much better deals at CompUSA or Circuit City.

also, never send your computer to "professional" tech guys in retail stores b/c they're just gonna rip you off by making to buy crap.

as for your problem.. most likely your BIOS was set to boot from something else instead of your harddrive (i.e. cd drive). This very basic stuff for computer people. I would actually go to best buy and demand a full refund and a return on your new laptop.

3. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

BestBuy is only good for hustling people at Call of Duty 2.

4. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

BestBuy always has been and always shall be, a joke.

5. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

my friends all tell me that I shouldn't even bother trying to get my money back b/c it won't work.
    I'm just so frustrated right now... 900$ is a month of work for me, and I'm supposed to just sit back and let them scam me for that much?

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Contact the BBB and file a complaint.

7. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

It was all a BIOS setting and they couldn't figure that out?

I am pretty lucky. I can figure most issues out, but when I get stumped, at least Steve will help me out.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Of course! The main boot device! It is odd that when it found nothing it didn't try some pre configured settings to get it to work.

As said before, Geek Squad and Best Buy are rip offs and should never be trusted with anything other than DVDs/CDs.

I once heard a sales guy at BB tell a guy that a new battery for his laptop would last 5 years without any problems. I went up to the guy while he was still giving his little sales pitch and asked if he knew what charge cycles were. . .he said no so I just told the customer that lithium batteries usually only last 300-400 full charges before they are down to 80% of capacity and then things drop quickly after that. The guy read the fine print on the box, said I was right, set the box down and walked out of the store. The look on the sales guy's face was awesome.

9. zodiac66

Before they had Geek Squad, one sales rep told me I could electrocute myself and die if I put a sound card in by myself.

10. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Dirk, you can't just return the laptop?

And zod, I'm sure it's possible to electrocute and kill yourself by putting a sound card in. Although I bet he forgot to mention the odds of that happening. o_O

11. zodiac66

Sure, if I had the power cord plugged in, the computer on and standing in a puddle of water :thumbsup: .

12. Module88

He was right, no? :thumbsup:

13. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Boo hoo hoo

Did you even TRY to address the problem yourself? It sounds like your buddy had the right idea...google the error messages and go from there.

Geez, can't anyone do anything for themselves anymore?

Tomorrow morning I'm going to be replacing the evaporator coil in my home A/C system myself. It's leaking pretty badly, bad enough that I have to "top off" the system every 2 days.

I've never done stationary A/C work before. I've been doing automotive A/C for ten years or more but never stationary. I had a local A/C company out a few weeks ago to look at my system, they charged me $225 to add 2 lbs of R22 and say, "Yup, you probably have a leak. It will be another $100-$300 to find the leak, and repair will depend on where the leak is. Of course, we could replace your system for $9950"

After they left I looked at the bill....they charged me $75/lb for R22, which retails for around $90 for a 30 lb bottle. That's when I said "**** them" and brought my A/C equipment home (and bought a jug of R22 for $85).

It took me about 30 minutes using my refrigerant detector to isolate the leak to the evaporator. I called for a quote on replacing just the evaporator...$1475. I called some A/C supply houses and priced the evap by itself...$150 carry out.

What did I do? I had all of the equipment I needed, and all of the skills I needed but one...soldering A/C tubing. All of our automotive stuff uses threaded fittings, not sweated fittings. So, I spent the last week learning how to solder copper tubing with Stay-Brite silver solder....I spent about $45 on a torch and some practice tubing and fittings, and another $40 for the solder and flux. I soldered 30 fittings and I've gotten pretty good at it, thank you very much.

Tomorrow I'm going to install the evap myself and save about $1200 over having it done for me.

Now I don't expect everyone to run out and start fixing their own A/C system...without my decade of A/C experience I wouldn't be trying it myself. But goddammit, if your non-computer buddy could fix your laptop in 45 minutes by using Google, don't come here *****ing about getting screwed over by service providers.

Learn how to stand on your own two feet just a little bit...things aren't as complex as they seem. Take a little ****ing initiative.

14. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You forgot the big *** capacitors in the power supply, those can kill you. It still isn't likely to shock you, but it is a lot higher than most people think.

EDIT: ScanMan, who peed in your cornflakes?

15. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

as long as the warranty wasnt voided and you still have all of the packaging, returning the new laptop shouldnt be much of a problem

it might be tough to get a refund from the geek squad, but you can still file a complaint with BBB (Better Business Bureau)

if your old laptop is forgetting bios settings it might be time for a new cmos battery, most are watch batteries cr2032 iirc, but compaq if famous for soldering/welding them to the mobos

the caps in the power supply are for regulating voltage, no more than 12-24v max, not much dmg can be done with them, its the 110/220 power going into the power supply that youll have to worry about

16. Module88

Voltage isn't the issue- amperage is. Even in my basic computer repair class, that was one of the first things we learned about PS's. Don't open them. Period.

17. SquareRootOfBob

SquareRootOfBob IncGamers Member

I think my friend gutted 3-4 PSU's in my engineering class last year. He didn't get any shocks, but that isn't to say it wasn't stupid. :p

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I was wondering that myself. Not everyone is a computer junkie.

19. Johnny

Johnny Banned

even then its quite impossible because its only 230 volts up to the power source and then the power is much weaker from there out to the components.

Not to mention the PE that makes it 100% impossible to eletrocute yourself in an apartment or house anymore. Unless you have an ancient electrical system.

20. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Ehm it needs the voltage to get anywhere.

When I was geting my electrician training (2 years in crafts school) they explained it like this:

The ampere is the ammount of water in a river and the volt is the speed at which the water travels.

The volt is needed for it to go through you. Although high ampere is what is needed to kill you. High volts is needed for the ampere to get to and go through you.

High volts is also what makes it possible for electricity to jump from one material to another as a spark.