Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best WW sword for a Mal

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by fahartle, Apr 30, 2005.

1. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Best WW sword for a Mal

Hey guys! I couldn't get an answer in the Barb forums about this question, so I thought I'd give it a shot here. Hope you don't mind!!

I have a WW dual wielding barb I use for mfing. His current setup is:

Tal's armor
    Highlord's
    gores
    soul drainer
    ravenfrost
    dual leech ring
    Arreats
    Dungos

And his weaps are a grandfather (with 15 IAS/32 Ed jewel) and a lightsabre (amned).

I'm wanting to upgrade my lightsabre as it's probably my weakest link now and just got my hands on a shiny new Mal. What do you guys recommend? Azurewrath? Oath runeword? If the latter, any ideas on the cost of a nice eth 4os sword runs these days (Ladder USEast)? Thanks!

2. Dark Bushido

Dark Bushido Banned

Kingslayer or Oath. Either would do you well.

Why trade for the 4os? Take off your MF gear and run The Pit for one. Why pay for one when you can easily find one wih patience?

3. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

Didnt you post this in the barb forum?

4. IVIaster

IVIaster IncGamers Member

he has already pointed this out :)

5. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Put Oath in a Balrog Blade, preferrably etheral, and you have a great WW weapon for a Mal. It has great damage, even one handed, lots of good mods, and reaches the last WW break point. A CS or CB is also a good choice if you find a 4os one, but Larzuk will always give Balrogs 4 sockets, so it is by far the easiest one to find. I made a non-etheral one, but if I had to do it again, I would go etheral. The damage boost is worth it, although with etheral you cannot repair the charges of HoW and IG. I have found, though, that I never use the charges anymore.

6. fahartle

God I love the newcomer's forums!! You guys are the best... I did get a response in the Barb forums: to opt for an oath, save up and wait on a Lo for a Grief runeword, or look at the Bull Kathos CB. Since Lo looks like it's 2 Ists, that's way outta my league. And the Bull Kathos only reaches around 135 damage and doesn't hit the last WW breakpoint, so that's probably not any better than the lightsabre (though the crushing blow and resists are nice).

So eth Balrog Blade it is!! Can I check my math with you guys? If Oath comes with 210-340 ED (that's quite a range, grr...) and an eth Balrog will have a base damage of 22.5-112.5 with the 50% bonus (67.5 average), that'd be a possible range on my average damage of 209.25-297. Or about 250 to split the middle. Sweet! That's almost double the leechable damage of my lightsabre. The grief runeword does look nice, but by the time I work my way up to 2 Ists, I'll surely have Mals aplenty. Thanks guys...

7. fahartle

Oh, and does anyone know the odds off hand of picking up an Eth sword in the pits/cows with all my magic find stripped off (that's the best way to go about looking for those, right)? Trying to decide if I should just pony up and buy one or try and find it myself. Are the eth superior ones ungodly rare to see drop?

**Suddenly I think I'll post this as a thread in the statistics forum, sorry - I'd like to know the chances of any item being ethereal, superior, or both...

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Oath has so much %ed that it won't depend on a little %ed from a superiority, although it won't hurt ;)

Check here for information about elite swords. You need one with reach 3, a speed of 15 or better and, if it doesn't have sockets yet, a maximum of 4 sockets.

I suggest to kill as many monsters as possible in the hell act 3 jungles (very high chance for balrog blades, lots of easy to kill monsters) and check all grey two-handed swords - and all the other stuff as well, of course :lol:

9. fahartle

Thanks Krischan! I'll definitely start running around the jungles... I notice that you post in the statistics forums a lot, so do you know the percentage chance of any given item dropping as ethereal, superior, or both? I'm not terribly picky, any ethereal two hander (or 4os CB or CS) would be fine. But I'm just trying to get a feel if I can get my hands on one faster looking on my own or trying to pick one up for Lem or 20 Pgems or so (I imagine such swords would normally be Pul, but I need my only one for Oath!).

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I got the information about drop chances from the drop calculator of ATMA, found here.

11. fahartle

Thanks for all the help, guys. Thought I'd let you in on the results! I ran the jungles in Act III a few times with my Barb with all his mf stripped off and did find some cool stuff, even a couple of white and superior blades capable of good oaths. But seeing that it took me forever to work my way up to a Mal for the runeword, I REALLY wanted that extra 50% damage on an ethereal. I got an ethereal Balrog Blade off Geo for 15 Pgems and figured that was a pretty awesome deal (he's zxc_cxz in the USEast trade forums for all you fellow newbs/semi-newbs out there -- best prices in town and a nice guy!).

So I'm making potentially the best weapon I've ever laid my hands on, checking and quadruple checking the correct rune order and praying for a decent roll on the variable 210%-340% enhanced damage mod. Aaaand....

243% AAArrrggghh!!!!

Ah well, I felt many times better after I tried it out on my Barb and saw triple the damage that my Lightsabre was getting (and all leechable...). Happy again! Thanks again for the advice...

12. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

too bad for the low roll man, i made one with 311 out of a superior(14%) eth feral axe and i was very thrilled. By the way what are u running ? Pits i guess but what else ? gl with it anyways

13. fahartle

I've really grown to love my Barb. He's got a respectable 210 mf (400 on switch) and can solo just about anywhere. I run him through pits, Meph, Shrenk/Pindy/Elritch, and then finish up the WSK levels unless there are gloams or OKs about. He's probably not the fastest mfer out there, but I find him more entertaining than a sorc or hammerdin.

Wow, 311% out of an eth/sup weap is pretty sweet indeed... With any luck I'll be able to afford another one at some point and try again!