Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Wind Druid Shield, Monarch or Lidless?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by PDXBoy, Mar 7, 2004.

1. PDXBoy

PDXBoy IncGamers Member

Best Wind Druid Shield, Monarch or Lidless?

Monarch Stormshield and Lidless both seem to have nice advantages to a Wind Druid. Still in NM, but I want to be ready for hell ... which of these shields ends up better?

2. warding

warding Banned

I really don't see the advantages of a lidless over SS :p

3. Asheron

Asheron IncGamers Member

If you want to block,Stormshield (or Whistans guard,from the orphans set).

If you don't plan on blocking,Lidless.

Personally I'd go with Whistans or Storm. :)

4. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Do you plan on getting hit at all? Do you have minions to tank for you? What kind of playstyle do you prefer?

That's what it's all based on.

5. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Lidless is better for party play when you don't need 75% block but it's horrible block %% means it need 333dex (iirc) at lvl 90 for block

6. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

If you're pvm, storm is going to keep you alive vs. melee (cyclone for elemental right?)
    PvP, I use lidless on switch for CtA, and if I dueled a nec, hammerdin, or sorc, I switch SS for lidless because I don't need the dr or resists, and I need to tele faster.

7. X4v13r

X4v13r IncGamers Member

I prefere lidless, as the same for my necro. Faster cast will own dmg any day. And the druids Tornado has a nice stun time on it, so if u can cast fast enough, then the opponent wont be able to attack anyways. Though, Id have to agree with the others, it all depends on ur strategy and other equip.

8. xPkxSumox

xPkxSumox IncGamers Member

Use Lidless for the +1 to all skills advantage if you BO yourself using CTA. If not, use stormshield cause although you give up one point, you recieve dmg reduce, resists, and more chances of blocking.

9. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

I use Stormshield for Resists + DR

Benifits: Can tank more on any Melee Chrs
    Cons: Less Mana, More Str Needed, No +1 Skills, No Extra FCR

10. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

i´d say storm is better for PvM for a windy

can´t say for PvP though

11. 2JZ-GTTE

2JZ-GTTE IncGamers Member

For PvP stormshield is preferred, so that you can actually block attacks.

12. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

an elite ko ko mal Sanctuary or a Jah'd whitsans is my personal fav. the block and automatic fast block allows points for more life.

dr sources:
    15% verdugo
    18% shako
    8% from Engima
    ----
    41% dr without having a need for strength.
    8% off from max dr, yet having more life than the ss setup, also, you need less dexterity.
    Jah in a shield is always the way i try and go, just my signature thing.

I guess you could ber a whitsans and hit 49%, basically max. i always feel that pvp'rs seem to get through dr easier than huge life.

vs sorcs, sanctuary does the trick for me for a good mannered play.
    (although the ones i have fought were pro's and well, a pro sorc dueler is bad news to me)

13. xPkxSumox

xPkxSumox IncGamers Member

That means that you will have to put ber into ur shako and use verdungoes, something that windy pvp's don't often use. Arachnids is the best, and on the belt, are almost every vital stats as lidless... Stormshield, also has higher chance to block, which means you don't have to waste points into dex..

14. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

there is no reason to use an arachnid sash if you want to use a verdungo's or a 24% fhr caster belt with life.

you only use it if you somehow think that using a wizardspike gives you less damage. it really does not as it allows you to wear more life gear and not worry at all about a lame mara's that offers nothing besides res all. you can craft a caster ammy, use a +20% glove of choice and the spike for full effects, and more life, plus more mana.

15. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

I think there is a point here. Overall people will tend to optimize overall performance. That means your items will be working in unision to keep you alive and kicking butt. Overall the lidless isn't neccesary.

WHY HAS NO ONE ASKED WHAT BREAKPOINT FCR YOU ARE TRYING TO GET???? THis is such a silly debate 10 posts in without the real question being asked. If you dont need the fcr then getting +1 skills is a waste compared to the SS. If you can find alternative solutions to the FCR then SS anyday. If your build needs the extra FCR from the lidless you could aim for that by going ldless. To me you can find the fcr elsewhere easily. Thus a lidless is junk.

20 Gloves -Trangs > MAgefists
    20 belt - Siperweb
    40-50% Weapon - Hoto or Wiz?
    20-10% Amulet - Easily crafted ammulets.
    20 lidess
    ------------------
    99 is the best you can get fcr wise without scarificing gear. As you can see you dont need the lidless at all and the other unique item combinations yield a stronger windy. Thus SS is better anyday unless your extreemely poor and need the extra 20% ias. 68% is recommend for PvM but skillful players can duel with it. however its stroingly suggested 99% for more intimate pvp players.

16. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

well.... you can get 10% on rings.... if you have to, or one ring. i dislike the spiderweb compared to a 10% fcr 24% fhr belt for pvp. i never made an ammy that got a double cast mod, so i cant suggest considering that.

68% is decently fast for casting, a little slow for teleporting frenzy tactics (which i dont do)

yeah lidless is a complete waste of time for any druid build I feel besides a summoner maybe with a huge oak sage.