Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best weapon type for a poor ww barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by GoatBoyy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. GoatBoyy

GoatBoyy IncGamers Member

Best weapon type for a poor ww barb

Hi, I've recently started a new diablo account since my last one expired and i have no resources what so ever. I'm a level 25 barb on US East planning on going the ww route. My question is, if im going to make a ww barb which types of weapon (maces, axes, swords, etc>) would be best for me to specialize in. The main points i want the weapon type to cover is availability, cost, overall usefulness/effectiveness. As i said im poor and i want to choose a weapon type that is effective in the long run with WW but also will be redily available to me throughout the game. I was thinking maces for the eventual IK set, but i know that the armor costs an arm and a leg for newbs.(or at least used to) I assume swords would be the best choice, but i would like to hear everyone's opinion before choosing.

2. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

I find Lightsabre very useful and also very cheap.

3. GoatBoyy

GoatBoyy IncGamers Member

i ment weapon class...as in sword/mace/axe/polearm/spear. So i guess thats 1 for sword.

4. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Though axes are the overall best weapons, as far as things you can obtain at the high end, and there are several nice in-between weapons like Butcher's Pupil, Death Cleaver, and cruel berserker axes. Similarly, you can use them in the blood recipe to craft cheap weapons, and they're usable in virtually every good runeword, including super cheap ones like Cresent Moon.

-Hal

5. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

Go polearms. A double sheal'd bonehew hits the lwbp and is cheap/effective, even through hell.

Plus, there are a few polearm runewords that add very nice damage and cost only common runes.

For instance. Obedience. Hel + Ko + Thul + Eth + Fal. Adds 370% ED. 370%!!!!!. It also comes with a very nice defense bonus, nice all resists, enchant, and -25% fire resist. And the Highest rune in there is a fal!!

There is also Insight.

I say again, if your not rich, go polearms. You wont be sorry.

6. ShadyPhoenix

ShadyPhoenix IncGamers Member

If you're going strictly PvM, IK should be fine. I have a level ** IK Barb who can pretty much solo hell.

Axes would probably be the best bet overall, though, as Halciet said. I can't praise Crescent Moon enough.

7. Emerald Dragon

Ik armor will cost him an um. I doubt he has one if hes just starting again recently. If his nightmare/hell forge drop lower than lem, he wont be getting ik armor unless he makes a new char for their forges.

But, the Ik set is pretty decent. Just dont screw up with skill investment. My buddies first char was a barb that later wore ik. His skill were all over the place. 17 in shout, 16 in bo, 20 in mace mastery, 16 in ww, 6 in ron skin, 7 in natural resists, oh man, that barb was a total mess. I can't believe it actually survives in hell, yet he can handle hell meph/travincal solo.

8. ShadyPhoenix

True, but it is very much an option. IK isn't dirt cheap, but it's still very affordable in comparison to Enigma, CoH, etc.

And who's to say his NM/Hell Forge won't turn up Ist+?

9. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

dragon the only weapon that is worth using you said was bonehew. The others meet the ww last break point.

10. ShadyPhoenix

Well, that's not TOO random. At least he stuck to the central skills.

11. Emerald Dragon

Could you rephrase that post? I dont quite understand it. I was talking about polearms. The cheapest unique polearm that can hit the las ww break point is bonehew. All it needs is two shaels.

12. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

This skill setup isn't all that messed up really. I usually have a simular setup , although I max 1 skill first , then another. :D He still used the "best" skills for a WW barb.

13. Emerald Dragon

He had a reason though. It was his first character. I think everyone remembers their first d2 character they made on b.net. I sure remember mine.

Gloth, a fury wolf. I maxed lyncanthropy and fury, put about 16 into oak sage, a few into poison creeper, then 1 into carrion vine to see if it would actually benefit me. It did not. The I started to put points into feral rage, and then read a guide about how much damage rabies is capable of, and began putting points into that!

At the time, I was so frustrated that I kept dying in hell. I could deal damage, but the moment i got surrounded or trapped, I was toast.

When I look back at the time my buddy and I did my hellforge, it's a wonder how we even made it. The main highlight was the two of us being stuck on a bridge trying to cross, with hordes and hordes of enemies blocking the exit. You know those maggots that spawn the little offspring? They made a virtual army while we slowly took down the pit lords clogging the bridge. When we finally cleared the pit lords, we had to hack our way through all those little maggots everywhere. I was using fury, and my friend was using conc, so we had to take out every enemy one by one. If only there was a necro with CE there. It would have been so much quicker.

Sorry about that little trip down memory lane. LoL. It didnt even have anything to do with the ik set.

14. xpumafangx

Its simple really dragon I was talking about insight and obedience. Those do not hit the ww last break point so plz do not suggest them. But Bonehew is cool.

Ya I was a little drunk when I wrote that...

Or some one used a jedi mind trick on me.

Wait did you hack the system to change my text? To make me look dumb, ya I know you did that ya umhm ya I know you man!!!!!

15. Emerald Dragon

Have you been in the beer again?

*Locks Puma in a sober tank*

16. xpumafangx

My poison is 3 wise men and irsh car bombs.