Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best weapon for the BotD runeword

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Snake, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

Best weapon for the BotD runeword

So my question is simple, what would be the best weapon to make a BotD runeword in?

I know it has to be an elite ethereal one. A character has to able to wield it in one hand. A Berserker Axe is a interesting choice, but I don't have anough experience to compare it to other options.
    That is why I call upon all your experienced people that thought about the perfect BotD weapon before and can give me some good advice, before I waste my only Zod(yes it is legit) on the wrong weapon.

The first character that gets to use it is my Zealot in progress, but the weapon must be able to circulate throw different characters, I will be building in the future.

2. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Go for where you heart is, whatever weapon you like the best.

3. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Zerker axe would be my choice

But where that Zod came from :scared: I haven't seen you trading anything worth it

4. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

Hmm, that sounds a bit like the Itemz Police.

Anyway, I suggest Collossus Crossbow :)

5. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

I was afraid people would question the legitemy of my Zod. Not all trades are done throw this forum and I don't post all my finds here.

The Zod was cubbed from the following runes 2 x Sur, Ber, Jah and a Cham. I do business, outside the trade thread, with the following forum members: Beau Nidle, Nikstone and Strijdje. I hope Beau Nidle can confirm that the Zod is legit, because most of those runes came from him. In return I helped him getting stuff for his Grail

Please believe me when I say the following: I am no duber or cheater and would never dream of becoming one, because it removes all the fun this game has to offer.

I hope we can continue this discussion without questioning or doubting me and others I have traded with.

6. beau_nidle

beau_nidle IncGamers Member

I knew this would happen. It proves what a distrustful age we all live in when members don't trust one another. I can confirm that the zod is legit, becuase i contributed the majority of the runes to it, and i have screenies of every rune i have found from ist upwards. Snake has traded many high end items to me for the runes i gave him, and he helped me no end in almost completing my grail.

Anyway if anyone needs any further proof of the legitimacy of this zod, just let me know and i can mail the screenies to you. Just hope you have a large mail box, there are a few of them :D

Anyway i hope this clear up any problems.

7. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

well, screenies dont proof anything ;) anywayz, runes are all about trust.. snake explained me where every rune came from, and told me he missed a sur... i had 1 sur left, from 1.09 and traded it too him, the rune was found during a hephasto run just to state its origin...

Just to show my trust, i already offered to trade my 1.07 BotD Ethereal zerker axe against his Zod and Vex, cause i want to make a Eth botD great poleaxe for my barb :lol:

well, just too let you guys know im 100% backing snake upon this

regards,
    robin

8. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Ok, sorry everyone :embarrass:

Im just bit jealous in fact, I have played this game a lot since it came out and never it has rewarded me so much...rotten luck is my best friend

Make a superb BotD to yourself Snake!

:thumbsup:

9. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

If you want to go one handed, the best is a 1.07 Eth Zerker with the extra enhanced maximum damage bug. But since Strijdje already offered the trade, I'm guessing you don't want that sort of item.

Next, I'd go with a superior crusader bow. I'd be willing to give you a 6 socket 15% ED superior one if you're gonna use it for BoTD. Its pretty much the ultimate bow for a bowazon since it allows a lot of flexibility in gear and still reach that 9/2 strafe breakpoint.

An ethereal BoTD great poleaxe (go with 1.07 again) would be another one to try, but strijdje already mentioned that. Its the perfect WW barb weapon.

10. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Breath of the Dying requires six sockets. For 1-handed weapons that limits your choice to Berserker Axe or Phase Blade. Since the Axe does twice the damage of the Phase Blade its your only real choice. For best results, use an Ethereal axe from the 1.07 patch.

The sheer number of BOTD 1.07 zerker axes that turned up after the patch came out is one of the reasons that people get suspicious now. There were far more of them than the supply of Zods (or even runes to cube up to Zod) would seem to make possible. You have a good explanation for where the runes came from, so it sounds like you made every effort to ensure they were legit. But unfortunately, we're in an age of suspicion where Zods are concerned.

Now if you're interested in 2-handed weapons your choices get much larger.

Spear: Ghost Spears have good damage, range of 5, and hit the last WW BP. The only downside is the highish dexterity requirement.

Polearms: The benefit of polearms is you can use them on both barbs and weredruids. Giant Thresher has high-speed, reasonable damage, but high dex requirements. Great Poleaxes are a shade slower, but have higher max damage (from memory), and lower dex requirements. Both items are range 5 which makes barbs happy.

Mauls: Very high damage. No dex requirements. Poor range for WW. Don't hit the last WW breakpoint. Generally slower all round. Not recommended IMO.

Axes: Compared to a polearm the advantage is lower dex requirements. A Champ axe only has a range of 3 and lower max damage than a GP, and a Glorious Axe is too slow to hit the last WW BP.

Just my two cents.

Chris

11. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Wasn't Archon Staff a good pick too? I think someone stated it had one of the best average damages in the game (yes I could look it up, no I don't feel like it, yes I'm lazy).

12. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

Thanks for your support. I can understand that your are jealous. I hope luck will come your way this weekend.

I actualy considdering Strijdjes offer. The only problem is that I would like to make the runeword myself.

I am not looking for a bow, because my Multizon just finished hell diff.

It is true that you can use a poleaxe for both a barb and a weredruid.

Come to think of it, what other builds could use BotD eth Berserker axe, besides my Zealot?

13. TonyDanza

TonyDanza IncGamers Member

Other builds that could use the zerker:

Shifter druid
    Concentrate Barb
    Avenger

14. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

I would definatly go the Archon Staff route - it is different and cool. Everyone does the Berzerker Axe (heck, they practically renamed it to "Breath of the Dying wannabe Axe") - but the Archon Staff, now that has class!!. You could wear it with Archon Enigma too "Enigma Wannabe Armor"- and call your character Noah (sorry, bad pun for all you Bible schollars out there).

15. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Hmmmm... hadn't thought of Archon Staff. Let's take a look:

- Damage: 83 to 99. Max damage not so hot, but very high minimum damage.
    - Requirements: str 34, no dex. No problems there.
    - Range: 2, poor for a 2-handed weapon.
    - Speed: 10, so not enough to hit the last WW breakpoint.

Verdict: The very high minimum damage makes it a good weredruid weapon. Not the fastest weapon on the block, but would still be fairly attractive. If you're feeling daring, stick it on a zealot paladin. For a whirlbarb, the short range and slow speed make it much less appealing.

Chris

16. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

i offered my Botd 1.07 eth zerker axe for his runes cause i want a Eth botd great poleaxe for my barb, just for the high damage, the 60% ias on the weapon (fastest ww bp) and the sweet look :)

eth archon isnt appealing enough for me, hit has a too low range..

*cough* srry icebird :bonk: *

17. boogied6

boogied6 IncGamers Member

etheral collosus blade, but then again i have a thing for swords

18. Hythopian Shade

Hythopian Shade IncGamers Member

I would also make a BotD Colossus Blade, even for a paladin. IIRC, it will hit the last ww breakpoint, has decent damage and range, but the only down side is that slightly high strength and dex requirements (although it would get -10 to each for being ethereal).

19. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Don't forget that "Breath of the Dying" contains a Hel which also reduces the requirements by 20%.

Chris

20. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Just a quick point... sceenies of runes are pointless, the reason they are nice for items is that once an item is ID'd you can't fake a screenie of it... However, I could make 10 different Zod screenies right now. It's all about trust.

As for what to make a BoTD out of well that is a personal decision but a Zerker Axe is probably the best over all choice.