Best weapon for Merc Infinity?

Funny that I was posting on here because right afterwards I joined a Hell Chaos, went through the TP RIGHT when the runner put it up and ended up with a 4os War Scythe which is perfect for the Nova Sorc I'm gonna built with Insight :jig: and a 6os Giant Thresher which I sold cause nobody seemed interested in it.

WrathTalon

Diabloii.Net Member
Psycho§omatic said:
Funny that I was posting on here because right afterwards I joined a Hell Chaos, went through the TP RIGHT when the runner put it up and ended up with a 4os War Scythe which is perfect for the Nova Sorc I'm gonna built with Insight :jig: and a 6os Giant Thresher which I sold cause nobody seemed interested in it.
Nice, PsychoSomatic! The forum gods must be listening. Let us know how the Nova-Insight sorc goes!

Hm, I need a CoA... Maybe if I start a thread on it, I'll find one in my next Chaos game too? :tongue:

WrathTalon

Diabloii.Net Member
KremBananX said:
Ogre Axes gets only 3 sox and therefor are out of the calculations for Infinity.
True true... I included them only because the thread was of general applicability to any discussion of A2 mercs and polearms. :smiley: Admittedly, the only runeword which can be made in a 3-socket polearm is Crescent Moon... :tongue:

WrathTalon said:
Nice, PsychoSomatic! The forum gods must be listening. Let us know how the Nova-Insight sorc goes!

Hm, I need a CoA... Maybe if I start a thread on it, I'll find one in my next Chaos game too? :tongue:
haha, yeah they must be listening. Time to make a thread for an enigma while I'm at it lol. I just started the Nova sorc, made an Insight with the new pole but its only 15 med :sad2: so...I might try to roll another one. Yeah, all I need now is another gRUSH and I'm ready with the Nova sorc for testing lol.

DarkYakuza

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason for this is simple, most people tend to look at max damage first and then compare it to the other stats, or ignore the other stats completely and take the one with the most damage or most often the one with the highest max damage even if the efficiency suffers or the average is lower then other choices.

For example the colossus voulge has a 165 max damage with a 17 min damage, although people prefer to have it over a cryptic axe which has a max of 150, and a min of 33, with 0.5 more average damage. Also most players prefer to see 165 base maximum damage compared to one with 114 (giant thresher)

So, the only real reason why people don't take the other choices is because they prefer the look of raw damage, another example is, why do casters aim for all the gear that gives the most total +to skills, even if it usually means sacrificing almost all their survivibility, (actually the most probable reason to this is because most casters have the mindset: since I tele, i should never get hit, therefore i dont need to have anything that helps me survive)

MrSeconds

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello friends. Newbie question & first post here :grin: . I gave my merc Arioc's Needle(his upgrade from Malice) which dropped in the pit the other day. Is this a good weapon for him or should I try to trade it for basic items like a shako or a homunculus? I have a 3 week old skellimancer that is level 81 and has nothing but a couple of low level runeword items(rhyme and lore), infernostride, venom grip and some resistance gear. Thanks for any input.

WrathTalon

Diabloii.Net Member
DarkYakuza said:
The reason for this is simple, most people tend to look at max damage first and then compare it to the other stats, or ignore the other stats completely and take the one with the most damage or most often the one with the highest max damage even if the efficiency suffers or the average is lower then other choices.
How true. I once showed my Thresher to a guy whose response was "Looks cool, but has low damage. Why don't you get a CA?" :rolleyes:

DarkYakuza said:
So, the only real reason why people don't take the other choices is because they prefer the look of raw damage, another example is, why do casters aim for all the gear that gives the most total +to skills, even if it usually means sacrificing almost all their survivibility
Amen. That's why my girl complements her cute little green miniskirt with CoA and Shadow Dancers instead of, say, Griffs and Shadowtreks. Give me 30% PDR and 60% FHR over a little extra damage anyday.

MageChick

Diabloii.Net Member
I joined a public game yesterday where the person whas offering HR for a good merc obediance. I figured I could sell on my my eth obediance great poleaxes for that. Both were high ED%, one was near perfect too. They guy looked them both over then said he wanted something with higher damage.:grin: Sure, higher damage and slower WSM and shorter range. I'm not going to try to argue with people in public games, but dude, look it up!

WrathTalon

Diabloii.Net Member
MageChick said:
I joined a public game yesterday where the person whas offering HR for a good merc obediance. I figured I could sell on my my eth obediance great poleaxes for that. Both were high ED%, one was near perfect too. They guy looked them both over then said he wanted something with higher damage.:grin: Sure, higher damage and slower WSM and shorter range. I'm not going to try to argue with people in public games, but dude, look it up!
Sigh. I feel your pain, MageChick. And if you then tell them that the faster WSM more than makes up for the lower base damage, plus puts monsters in hit recovery more often, plus sets off mods more often, and that a CA is about the worst thing to get, they think you're trying to sell them something...

So I don't even try to set them straight anymore. Let them continue to buy their silly CA's, and sell their nice Threshers and GP's to me for a pittance... :smiley:

Immortal_King

Diabloii.Net Member
For insight I rather that max skill level rather than a better DPS pole with lower skills so it's not the only consideration.

blinkyvxx

Diabloii.Net Member
so was there an answer found here, no one came to any conclusions except faster weapons are overlooked, and is the thresher the fastest elite polearm? for infinity?

Viktri

Diabloii.Net Member
Forum conclusion: Best weapon is not CA/CV, mercs aren't efficient with them
However, Bnet conclusion: CA/CV are more common because the merc is just a walking aura, you often don't need him for damage, especially if you are a lightning sorc.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
Forum conclusion: Best weapon is not CA/CV, mercs aren't efficient with them
However, Bnet conclusion: CA/CV are more common because the merc is just a walking aura, you often don't need him for damage, especially if you are a lightning sorc.
Now here's the question, what if you are not a sorceress and are running lvl 23 fanaticism, or that you have a pally ally running it for you?

Lowgat

Diabloii.Net Member
Now here's the question, what if you are not a sorceress and are running lvl 23 fanaticism, or that you have a pally ally running it for you?
Well then you'd post it in the Pally forum. ;)

You're going to try to hit your max merc bp. If you are able to supply enough IAS to allow your merc to hit his max bp with a CV/CA and your intent is to have the merc contribute offensively then you would be better off trying to get the CV/CA.

However if you're not supplying any IAS to your merc and he's going off his normal gear then you are probably better off with a giant thresher/thresher - keeping in mind that the GT has some pretty tough stat req., it's almost impossible to find an eth GT with 4os and an eth 4os Thresher is almost as tough, and most of the tradeable gear out there comes on CV/CTs. You're also going to want to compare the IAS breakpoints between the two for your optimal setup. It may be that your merc with his gear may hit the same BP with a CV or a Thresher (CV just barely while Thresher has plenty of IAS to spare) and since you're not going to add in additional IAS you don't need to waste the funds on an eth 4os thresher.

FWIW I run my melee sorc with an eth CV Infinity and if I can find a good eth Thresher Infinity I'd replace it immediatley but in terms of 'Gear Needed' that rates pretty low. 4os Eth Threshers and Giant Threshers cost as much as an eth or 4os eth CV and almost as much as an eth 4os CA so trading for one isn't really a grand idea. Heck I run my MF Tal sorc with a regular CV insight and my merc does good enough for me. Dies maybe 1 in 10 full game baal runs if I'm paying attention and 1/3 solo runs.

The key if you're using your merc as a killing machine (and not just a tank/mana pot/res reducer) is doing the legwork to make sure your merc setup gives him the optimum bp. If you don't wanna do the work then just grab a Thresher (or Giant if your merc has the stats) and trust in the guides.

rata

Diabloii.Net Member
I did some testing with an eth CV infinity, eth CA infinity, eth Thresher infinity on my merc and also a hand held infinity sythe.

On the merc, i went on some solo/full game baal runs, nith, diablo, meph, and found the extra speed from the thresher didn't kill the mobs of critters any faster, with the eth CA being equally disappointing. The best killer (probably due to the higher damage) was the eth CV, especially when taking down uniques and bosses. The extra speed from the thresher doesn't make a difference because ur sorc kills them fast anyway. When there's a lite immune boss/unique that the merc needs to kill the eth CV is the way to go as it does more damage and has better leaches. The eth Thresher and CA took longer to kill than the CV.

Overall, the hand held infinity still beat the merc held infinities (i guess because of the extra 55% lite damage).

psychocrabmeat

Diabloii.Net Member
my 273% ED eth colossal voulge: 93-921 dmg.

90 might merc with guillaume's and duress (33-137 colddmg), gets 1007-6363 on char tab after might and level 9 fanaticism aura.

even ignoring speed, i would prefer that GT you got over my CV as my current merc dmg is quite variable.

Last edited:

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
On the merc, i went on some solo/full game baal runs, nith, diablo, meph, and found the extra speed from the thresher didn't kill the mobs of critters any faster, with the eth CA being equally disappointing. The best killer (probably due to the higher damage) was the eth CV, especially when taking down uniques and bosses.
cv and ca have the same average damage, so it's kinda odd that your merc kills faster with cv

also, what about ethereal great poleaxe? this thing seems to be totally ignored by everyone, but has a good balance of speed and dmg

nevertheless, i prefer thresher and my merc has no problems at all

lendial

Diabloii.Net Member
cv is the worst choice by far due to str, at 200 your merc wont be able to use it without a boost from likely an andies.

i recently aquired a CA and thought it was better than a cv but it seems they both suck :/