Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best weapon for Crescent Moon?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by whodisbe, Feb 17, 2004.

1. whodisbe

whodisbe IncGamers Member

Best weapon for Crescent Moon?

I think I want to make Crescent Moon for my zealot (ITD + static field looks sweet). I'm about to trade for a 3-socket weapon, but I'm stuck on picking one. I've heard several people recommend phase blades, which is a sweet option because it's indestructible, but the low dmg turns me off a little bit. Anyway, here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Phase Blade - Low dmg (31-35 base), but indestructible. Can somebody who has experience with the Crescent Moon runeword let me know if it's ridiculously expensive to repair?

Small Crescent - Best average dmg (49)

Berserker Axe - Best max dmg (71) and better range (3 compared to 2 for the others). These are one-handed right?

Thanks in advance.

2. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Phase Blade. Crescent Moon runeword is pretty poor damage wise, and the runewords lends itself most for a fast weapon. Small Crecent has base speed of 10 and the Berzerker of 0 while the Phase Blade has -30.

3. whodisbe

That's what I was thinking too, but then I realized that I have a sweet amount of enhanced dmg % with maxed fanaticism, zeal and sacrifice. A few points in base dmg goes a long way with ED%, but then again... I'm horrible when it comes to numbers. Is phase blade still the way to go? Thanks again.

4. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Although that might be true, some extra points of damage don't mean anything if you swing once per second slower. I dont' know the exact numbers, nor do I feel like calculating it all now. But just out of my head I'd say go with the Phase Blade.

5. skihard

skihard Banned

As a user of Crescent Moon for my Shockadin (IMO the only build that the weapon really suits) I have built this in both a Zerk & Phase and feel the Phase is the best thing to make it in. Even though it has less damage the increase in attack speed makes up for it over the long run because it allows for my elemental damage to be applied more often there by giving more overall damage. I use the Zerk axe with my Frenzy Barb and it seems to do fine but for a non lightning build there are much better items I just can’t afford a BOTD yet.

6. Dire_Wulf

Dire_Wulf IncGamers Member

Honestly I think you are better off going with the lightsabre for a classic zealot. If I remember correctly, the static does not work with zeal or double swing (barb). Really the benifit for the weapon is mostly for a tesladin for the -35 lightning resist.

Light sabre has 5% more IAS, higher base damage, and adds magical and lightning damage to your attack, not to mention the absorb lightning at 25% and it has ITD as well. You can reach the 4fps IAS break point if you add a shael to it and wear sigons.

If you are itching to make a crescent moon runeword for your zealot, i would suggest putting it in an ethereal polearm for your merc (just make sure its a base 0 or -10)

7. whodisbe

Static doesn't work with zeal? Wow, that changes everything then. I was hoping to get a weapon to replace my lightsabre, in hopes that I'd be taking 'em down quicker. Anyway, thanks for the great info everybody. I guess I'll be keeping my LS for now.

8. SmokeyTreats

SmokeyTreats IncGamers Member

My Hammerdin uses a Crescent Moon Zerk for an alt melee weap and the static works just fine for me w/zeal.

I've static'ed Dclone down to half with it many times before I let the hammers fly.

9. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Why should Chance to cast on hit powers not work with Zeal? Zeal is a pretty normal (albeit fast) melee attack.

10. pipermac

pipermac IncGamers Member

Another option is a cryptic sword. The min damage is low but it has a much higher max damage. and I believe it is just as or almost as fast as a phase blade.

11. skihard

skihard Banned

cryptic is -10 I think, Phase is -30

12. hairy_brute

hairy_brute IncGamers Member

As a user of a cresent moon Phase on my shockadin, I have to say that static DOES work with zeal. I chose a phase on my char because I was not using fanaticism and therefore needed the extra ias from my weapon so that I did not have base the rest of my clear only on ias. In your case if you are going zealot and using fanaticism, I think that a cresent zerker would be the best option because I believe you would hit fastest fps with fanaticism + zerker. Also, you may want to consider repair costs. The phase is indestructible so its repair costs will be zero compared to some gold for the zerker (I dont know how much, b/c i dont have a cresent zerker).

It would be helpful to post your build that u are planning.

-brute

13. Thanatosia

Thanatosia IncGamers Member

As has been mentioned, the Crecent Moon is totaly designed for the Shockadin, and would be much much less potent in the hands of a conventional physical damage build. I think you'd be better off with a high dmg weapon with Crushing Blow, or, if you are wealthy, a Shaefers hammer.