Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best weapon/armor for might merc?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by -Ferro-, Jun 9, 2005.

1. -Ferro-

-Ferro- Diabloii.Net Member

Best weapon/armor for might merc?

Hi,
    Im not a big fan of mercs, my heart brokens when they die (t.t.). But now with my wolf I decided to experience with this guy. So, basically, I would like to hear about some wonderfull weapons at middle levels and the top end ones (I can guess most of them, but they, you can always learn). Same with armors and helm. Suggestions plz.

Also about the mercs attack speed, there is any breakpoints? does ias on gear helps? bla bla bla the usual stuff. It will be highly apreciated.

Fer

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Armor: I'd say Shaftstop for starters, then Stone rw. (CoH if you feel rich)

Helm: Anything with ll. (tals, crown of thieves, gaze...) Even delirium is nice.

weapon: low level will have great use of Honor runeword (in lance or similar), Ariocs needle is nice, with the +(2-4) skill bonus, which will improve its aura. When lvl73, reapers toll is great due to its chance to cast decrepify and high lifesteal.
    Botd warpike can't be wrong either :p

All ethereal if possible, as usual with mercs ;)

3. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback Diabloii.Net Member

Ethereal Shael Amn Amn Hone sundan... :drool:
    Kelpie snare is good against bosses with its 75% slows target.

For end game reapers toll is best IMHO.

4. riplix

riplix Diabloii.Net Member

my mercs do fine with levi, shaft or even arki. however they die from time to time and start getting really good at surviving above lvl 80.

eth reapers is the best option for physical dmg builds. others are eth doom or pride. but they do well with cheap non eth ariocs, reapers, yari.

5. -Ferro-

Thanks for replies, m8s

I was thinking in eth fortitude for my might merc, 300ed + resist+life, what do you think?

6. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

For mid-level play there's also Blackleach Blade, probably not as good as Kelpie/Hone Sundan, but it does have %chance to cast Weaken.

Rockstopper is also a nice mercenary helm with damage reduction+resists.

I agree with Riplix that ethereal Reaper's Toll is the best weapon!

The best mercenary armor would be upgraded Shaftstop/Chains Of Honor/Stone...I can't really choose.

Mercenaries do have IAS breakpoints, and IAS from gear/weapon does help.
    There's a link to a calculator in the barbarian forum.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=231548

7. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

ofc it would work. the mercs damage will go up a bit, so make sure you have some lifesteal to get maximum use of it. Reapers toll for instance ;)

8. -Ferro-

I put my hands on a eth sup scarab 811 def. I wonder wether making forti or coh. Eth coh is very popular, on the other hand i havent seen many eth forti for mercs (might), although it seems better IMO, but I may be wrong. What do you think?

9. aznbboi16

aznbboi16 Diabloii.Net Member

Fortitude is definitely better than CoH for a mercenary. It has more defense, enough resists, +5% max light resist (the important one) and huge +%ED which will help him with leeching and killing.

10. lCE

lCE Diabloii.Net Member

IMO - Coh is the better choice, my reasoning is that ur merc is there to provide u with an aura, your own killing speed should be enough, and Coh gives ur merc +2 all skills which is +2 might or whatever other aura he might be using :), also his resists will be maxed easily with the Coh, the 8% ll is gravy and defense doesnt really matter that much.

11. Beowulf

Beowulf Diabloii.Net Member

Some sweet rare with very high damage and % to cast amp and as an armor I love an etheral duriels shell.

12. riplix

riplix Diabloii.Net Member

true but don't forget the % to cast shiver armor. pretty neat def boost. the dmg bonus of might isn't THAT big with +2 skills. on the other hand you got good points for sure.

i think if you're able to compensate the loss of ll with fort, you'll be fine. the combination gets a merc going imo.

fortitude, pride, delirium are all very cool merc items but without ll and dr he'll have a hard time.

13. stoutewolf

stoutewolf Diabloii.Net Member

my merc (lvl98) uses atm 1.08 gaze( 25 dr/8ll :)), perf upped shaft (will be eth forti laquered( most def an nn a light armor cause ur merc teles towards u when u are to fast)) and doom cryptic axe( will be collosus voulge pride lvl 20 aura 299% ar, cryptic axe is better tho(it has more range))

gl with ur merc, mine isnt dieing atm so the ll is enough....

14. -Ferro-

kk, armor is clear now, I have doubts with the weapon, either eth Reapers or eth Doom criptic axe...more comments, plz?

15. lCE

lCE Diabloii.Net Member

Reapers, the decrep will remove most physical immunities, + it has all the life leech the merc would ever need (15% ll on a perfect one), with decrep and 33% ds, the merc will do a lot of damage as well.

16. BananaPancakes

BananaPancakes Diabloii.Net Member

a shael'ed eth reapers definitly

17. VaderJM

VaderJM Diabloii.Net Member

Is fortitude much better than an upped Shaft? I thought DR was quite important for a merc.

Also, Eth reaper, Infinity, or BOTD war pike for Holy Freeze merc?

18. lCE

lCE Diabloii.Net Member

With Reapers, your merc will die pretty much only to IM, poison vipers and physical immune bloodstar shooting witches (and only if theres too many of them), shaft is pointless vs all of those.

19. -Ferro-

Well, got eth Reapers (327//14ll, yummy). Whats better to socket with, shael or ed% stuff?

ICE, get ready, my wold will be ready for duels soon :clap:

20. lCE

lCE Diabloii.Net Member

Heh, clash of the titans :clap:, let me know when ur done, not so much on bnet these days, got kinda sucked into the Hell Unleashed mod :D , not to advertise or anything but its really what D2 SHOULD have been, the bosses wipe the floor with u if ur not prepared, for example my lvl 85 ww barb fully decked out with 4.5k life max block and DR gets killed in 2 hits by one of the new baal minions- the Well of Darkness :lol: .