Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best way to lvl a merc

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by taljaka, Feb 3, 2004.

1. taljaka

taljaka IncGamers Member

best way to lvl a merc

Hi good peopel :)

I have a lvl 13 merc ( doh ) my druid is lvl 43, where in normal is it best to lvl my merc, he gain so littel exp i would take ages for him to reach my lvl, i was planning to kill baal, but i would like to lvl my merc first

rgds

taljaka

2. RaspenJho

RaspenJho IncGamers Member

Merc Levelling

This has always been a confusing subject for me. Why not just hire a new merc from one of the merc dealers? They will automatically come at a higher level...

Can anyone explain or point me to a merc resource?

-RJ-

3. Jomero

Jomero IncGamers Member

The reason why he wants to level his merc is probably because he wants that particular type of merc? Plus when you level a merc yourself instead of getting a new one (say an act 2 merc in Hell, instead of Normal) they have better stats when you level them instead of just buying them at the same level.

Now, the best way to level a merc? Go to darkness.diabloii.net/beastiary and find the monsters that are his level. Join an 8 player game. Fight those monsters at his level. When he levels, move on to the monsters at his level again.

Mercs get the most exp for monsters at or near their own level.

4. AuraAllan

AuraAllan IncGamers Member

5. taljaka

taljaka IncGamers Member

thx for replys :)

6. chaosmonkey

chaosmonkey IncGamers Member

Cool info, Jomero. I would like to ask a follow-up question to the original though.

Does the merc need to do all the killing in order to get the experience, or does he share it with you? I've levelled way past some of my mercs before, and I was curious why that is happening.

I thought originally it was because the merc wasn't killing anything (say an act 1 or 3 merc who's damage at lower levels can't keep up) as fast as me, so they weren't levelling as fast (unlike my act 2 merc who usually does just as much if not MORE killing at the lower levels).

But from what Jomero has said, it looks like maybe I just advanced too quickly, moving on to harder monsters too fast, and therefore my merc was getting less and less experience per kill. ie: The merc gets a % of exp based on how close to its own level the monster being killed is, whereas a player gets 100% of the exp every time. Therefore, if you advance too quickly through the monsters, your merc gets out-levelled.

Did I get that right?

Or does the merc really have to kill all the stuff himself in order to get the exp? (ie: I wouldn't be able to blow through act 3 normal with my level 52 sorc, killing everything within seconds, and still expect my level 18 rogue merc to get the exp).

7. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

the way i understand it is that there is a 5 lvl window. Your merc is 13, kill monsters +/- 5 levels of him. make sense?

g

:howdy:

8. Voldemort

Voldemort IncGamers Member

Your merc has to do all the killing so he can reap the benefits

9. Telaron

Telaron IncGamers Member

Are you sure? I switched from a lvl 82 prayer merc to might and I was able to level my merc quickly using my nercro. There was no way I could let the merc do all the killing, my skellies were killing so fast the poor guy never got a chance but he still leveled up pretty quick. From what I have seen I think you or your merc kill for him to get exp, that's why you level so much faster in 8 player games, you get exp for all kills, he just gets exp for yours and his. Unless you are the only power of the party, that's not going to be very much exp for him.

By the way, thanks for the info, I came here just to find out if the stats were really different. Does anybody know how much difference there is? Is it worth the pain of getting him up through normal levels? It's like pulling teeth, ugh.

10. Kurrelgyre

Kurrelgyre IncGamers Member

IIRC, your merc gets 100% exp if he lands final blow, 50% if you or a minion land final blow, and nothing if a party member lands final blow. Ideally, merc lvling should be done solo in a high count game in areas with monsters within 5 levels of his level. Once he hits 25 he should level pretty fast in cows if you can keep him alive there.

11. TheAntiHero

TheAntiHero Banned

MY merc finally lvled to 64 so he could use eth bonehew (he can kill in hell good but i think im staying in nm lvling him to 70 or so) he dies alot tho
    hes wearing some mad old etheral duriel shell now wut armor would be the best for him ??

12. Taft12

Taft12 IncGamers Member

I'd suggest shaftstop, but feel free to suggest some others

13. mastrinidad

mastrinidad IncGamers Member

hmm..if ladder..UPGRADED shaftstop!..haha..Oh wait..stick an Um in it too