Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best "Voice of Reason" sword?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by mjkittredge, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mjkittredge

mjkittredge IncGamers Member

Best "Voice of Reason" sword?

First, I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this in. I do however think my questions relates to statistics somewhat.

I'm trying to decide which sword to use for making the runeword Voice of Reason (4 socket swords or maces, Lem Ko El Eld). I'm not a rich player, so to me the stats of this rune word seem impressive and useful especially compared with the relatively low cost of the runes used to make it. I have the 4 runes, I also have a 4 socket Rune Sword (10-42 damage, lvl 25 required, 103 str 79 dex required, 1 range, -10 speed).

The highest rune is Lem, which is lvl 43, so I believe that will bring the level requirement of the item to 43.

I was thinking though, maybe I should save my runes for a better damage/speed/range sword. The one I had my eyes on was the Phase Blade
    (31-35, 2 range, -30 speed) BUT it has a level requirement of 54, 11 levels higher than the base rune word.

The reason I'm making it primarily is for A) my frenzy barb for physical resist/immunes, and just plain amusement of seeing frozen orbs tearing throught the ranks of my foes, and B) an avenger paladin I'm working on, and C) as a nice hand me down to any other character I might make in the future. As you can see, having it available at lvl 43 would be very very nice, on the other hand having the better speed, damage and range of the Phase Blade would make it significantly more powerful.

Advice, suggestions, any factors I haven't thought of (such as saving my lem and ko for some other runeword since I'm not rich)?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

2. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Definately don't use the rune sword. It's only an exceptional sword, you need something elite. A phase blade would be your best bet IMO, due to the lack of a speed mod on the weapon. If you're on East Ladder, I can provide you with a 4os phase if you need one.

3. mjkittredge

yes I am on East ladder, how can we get in touch? My account is
    michael25mma.

4. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

If elite, then a phase blade would be ideal. Not only is it fast without IAS on the runeword, but the damage is irrelevent for frost zealots and such builds. Also, since you wouldn't be leeching much with those builds, you'll need maximum blocking, and that meets the dexterity requirement perfectly.

Just from a usefulness standpoint, though, the only one-handers that can hold Voice of Reason are phase blades, conquest and cryptic swords - the latter two get four sockets, tops. Generally, that means they'll be highly sought after for other words, but 4oS PBs aren't really in demand, which goes along with the rare use of VoR. Now, exceptionals would be a different story.

5. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I don't get on often, since my schedule is rather hectic - my entire weekend is booked, as well. I'll set up a mule when I get home (I'm at school tonight) and PM you the account/password for it.

6. mjkittredge

My shiny new sword

Well as it turns out, I couldn't stand the suspense, and made it with the rune sword. And I have to say, Voice of Reason KICKS ***:soapbox: . This thing is spewing frost orbs and ice blasts constantly, it's quite a sight. I thought the lower physical damage would be an issue, slowing down my killing, but that hasn't happened at all. My frenzy barb is tearing through NM Dual wielding it with an "Honor" Executioner Sword. I imagine my vengeance/conviction paladin will do the same once he hits 43 and gets to use it, although he'll need some extra IAS. Then again when I make a fury druid or Zeal/fanatacism paladin. Hand me downs, so much fun.

Now I want to make one with the Phase Blade so I can DW two voice of reason swords. THAT will be fun to watch:grin: .

7. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

In that case, collect the runes again, and try and get in touch with me on bnet, since you're handling yourself well enough for now. I'll occasionally be online in the evening, and more likely during the weekends. You'll find me on *godlessdragon or *godlessreborn

If you collect the runes before you find me, send me a PM on here, and I'll do the mule-send thing again.