Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best use (runeword) of this armor

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Ax2Grind, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Best use (runeword) of this armor

Archon Plate (+13%ED, 4oS)

Runeword choices:

Bramble (Ral + Ohm + Sur + Eth)
    Chains of Honor (Dol + Um + Ber + Ist)
    Fortitude (El + Sol + Dol + Lo)
    Stone (Shael + Um + Pul + Lum)

None of the runes raise or lower the requirements of the armor (Rlvl63), but is it worth using a very high enhanced defense word when the point of archon plate is decent protection for lower strength requirement?

Any superior would allow Bramble to get nice defense, since it's always +300, but 15% might deserve Chains or even thoughts of the other two. I'm thinking Bramble wins for this particular armor, though.

Assuming it's not four IAS jewels with prefixes, I'd need to find a Sur, unless someone disagrees.

2. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Fortitude if you are a meleer or bower.

3. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

If you're going for selffound, then just work with what you get. Personally I'd use it for stone, for one reason - the repair costs. It's going to be a hell of a beast to repair, because of the superior mod. Making a Stone in it makes it a great armor for a defense build pally or barb, which will get them hit less often. Plus it's much more likely you can get Shael Um Pul Lum selffound. The only time I'd consider using a superior armor for one of the 'elite' runewords (ones that require HR's) is when I've got a 15% superior one, because of the resale value. Otherwise I tend to prefer high defense nonsuperior ones.

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Fortitude in this one will give you pretty sweet defense, and the only expensive rune in there is a Lo. Lo is 2 Ohm is 4 Vex and can be a pain to try and cube, and sur is just slightly more rare.

You could base several characters around a fortitude archon, but the same is true for the other choices. It really only matters what runes you have available.

I wouldn't worry about the repair costs, they only really goes skyhigh when there are two superior mods on the same item. There's always ral/ort runes for repairs.

5. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

I vote for fortitude. It's one of the most wanted armors for melee chars and it's a ladder only runeword.
    Forti can always be trade for one of the other runewords and if it's NL you can get even more

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Fortitude, for the reasons smeer specified. Repairing might cost 500k, but picking up boss gold drops while not dying too often or a Ral rune or a Travincal run or two with your GF character will solve that problem.

7. TheBe

TheBe IncGamers Member

I wouldn't worry about repair cost. Ral rune costs only few pgs (and very easy to find), so u don't need to spend any gold. :)

8. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Hmmm, ladder only

I always thought of Chains of Honor as the thrower/bowyer armor, since the defense isn't fantastic, but the damage/leech abilities call for physical ranged attacks. Bramble for caster, but more along the lines of poison/minion enhancement (poison javazon, Venom Assassin, melee wolf and hybrid Necromancers), and Stone for melee. Fortitude is sort of that in-between that has the middle rare rune at the end, so if the Lo disappears you just add another to respell it, so maybe I will make that.

Is there an armor on ladder that's better for one of the other three, or would you make all superior elites Fortitudes, unless you needed one of the others for a specific build?