Best use for Tomb Reaver?

templecrasher

Diabloii.Net Member
Best use for Tomb Reaver?

Colenzo the Annihilator was kind enough to drop a Tomb Reaver for me tonight. It has low ED, low damage to undead, low AR vs undead, high resists (48), low life per kill, high MF, and 3 sockets. I would have liked a higher ED, but oh well. So what should I put in the sockets? Also, it looks like a great weapon but my Hammerdin needs Insight, and my Trapper needs Infinity. My Fishymancer could probably get by without Pride, but I think he is better with it. So what build really benefits from a Merc with a Tomb Reaver?

mugana

Diabloii.Net Member
for a budget fury druid it is nice against caster and smiters in pvp. Or you can donate it to my druid lol. I think shapeshifting druids are the only ones who use it.

For merc it wont be great. insight, pride, and infinity are the only good ones i can think of

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
You forgot Obedience in there for the merc weapons. Best bang for your buck in the game. Has higher damage than the 3 you listed, too.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
I've actually played around with the idea of a tri-shael noneth tomb for a fireclaw bear. 5 frame fireclaw, I think... or close to it, needs a little off-weapon ias, and you can combine it with Maul to do some serious physical along with the fire.

::Edit:: My mistake. That, plus 50% ias gets you 5 frames. Then again, when you're packing some physical damage, highlord's becomes a much more attractive option...

templecrasher

Diabloii.Net Member
So the only build that uses it is a Bear Druid? It seems like it woud be a great Merc weapon for a build that doesn't rely on an aura. What about for a Gold-find Barb? I was planning to use insight or infinity with my Meteorb but I might try this out for her - perhaps with an Amn for 7% leech and an ED jewel or two?

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
A Fury Druid would make the best use out of it. IIRC another 30% IAS on it will get you a 7/4 frame Fury, whereas another 40% (e.g.2 Shaels) will get you to 6/4.

If it's non-eth, throw an Ohm or Lo or Ber in the other socket, if you've got the funds to do so. Or if you're really rich, 3 40/15's will get you the 40 (45) IAS you need, and another 120% ed on-weapon.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
templecrasher said:
So the only build that uses it is a Bear Druid? It seems like it woud be a great Merc weapon for a build that doesn't rely on an aura. What about for a Gold-find Barb? I was planning to use insight or infinity with my Meteorb but I might try this out for her - perhaps with an Amn for 7% leech and an ED jewel or two?

Oh, it's a wonderful merc weapon. Goldfind barbs could slap this, a crown of theives, and some nice armor on a merc, lem the **** out of everything, and go to town.

And it's not that just bears that use this. In fact, I've never heard of bears using it. The fireclaws/maul idea is my own, it's currently a theorycraft. I wouldn't take it at face value just yet.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Eilo Rytyj said:
If it's non-eth, throw an Ohm or Lo or Ber in the other socket, if you've got the funds to do so. Or if you're really rich, 3 40/15's will get you the 40 (45) IAS you need, and another 120% ed on-weapon.
No, don't!
Save your higher runes for tomb reavers that are either ethereal/3sock or are highdmg/highres/3sock. If you want to use it temporary, it is always good with 3 shaels (one damn fast weapon) or 3 amns for surviving (best used for mercs then)

templecrasher

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I'm going to give it to my soon-to-be-built Gold-Finder's merc with 3 Lems in it. I wouldn't really want to do anything expensive with it since it is so far from perfect.

Gorny

Banned
templecrasher said:

A WW MF Barb would also make use of it, I used to have a WW MF Barb before I decided to build a Hammerdin.

As you likely guess, the reason I switched to a Hammerdin was because of immune and resist problems in the Pits.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
The merc of my MF meteorb sorc uses a 2 socket one, with Amn and Shael IIRC, together with Skullder's+PT and Stealskull+PT.

templecrasher

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
The merc of my MF meteorb sorc uses a 2 socket one, with Amn and Shael IIRC, together with Skullder's+PT and Stealskull+PT.
Thanks Krischan, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Do you ever have mana issues with her? I'm really attached to the insight her merc carries right now, bt she's only level 70 - maybe when she's a little older it won't be as big of a deal.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Not really. She runs out of mana when she's hurling fireballs like there's no tomorrow, but that produces enough corpses for 5 times the amount of potions used :grin: When casting meteor, mana caomes back as quickly as she spends it and with FO it's nearly like that as well. She doesn't have base energy, however, because she was my very first character in this season, so I made a few compromises regarding stats, else the issue might be different.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
With Faith and Eternity on the player, (both have chance to resurrect) it's part of one of five gear sets for the Trinitar Paladin and mercenary. Two sets revolve around having tons of minions and converting other enemies, and Thorns/Fanaticism tends to take care of the rest. Do a search in the Paladin subforum for 'trinitar' and remember I've altered it since then. If you're interested in the alterations, I'll let you know as soon as I get my team to hell - of course, I don't have a Faith or Eternity, but that can change soon. :)