Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best untwinked MFer?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by solutionx, Apr 18, 2008.

1. solutionx

solutionx IncGamers Member

Best untwinked MFer?

I'm thinking of starting off fresh on US East. I already know a fishymancer is the safest way to get to hell and MF, but I would really rather not do the same thing all over again.

So I ask you: what's the best untwinked character other than a necro for the job? I was thinking of going meteorb, but I think it's going to be a pain in the *** during normal when I've yet to get my main spells. I know I could make it easier by putting stat points into energy, but I'd much rather avoid that.

Any other classes or recommendations?

2. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

Re: Best untwinked MFer?

Meteorb gets her main spell(fire ball) at level 12. I don't think you can do much better than that, unless you go with fishymancers skeletons(at level 1).

If you don't wanna start with fishy, then I would recommend going with meteorb, and don't put any points in energy, you can do fine without it.

EDIT

I don't have much experience on other untwinked characters, but I hear Trappasin works fine as well. Although I don't know how she is at MFing.

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Blizzard sorc is a stronger character than meteorb (killing Meph faster).
    You can get company to get through normal. Or just play through it, it's not that bad considering you will do really great job later.

4. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Problem with the Blizzard sorc is that immunes are big pain to deal with, especially untwinkled. You have to either skip them or rely on your untwinkled mercenary to deal with them. Not the easiset thing if it's a nasty bosspack.

Personally I vote for the Meteorb since as mentioned before you do get Fireball at level 12. At that point everything becomes fairly easy until level 20 when you get Frozen Orb. Then things get real easy until Hell.

5. NateTheBassGuy

NateTheBassGuy IncGamers Member

This is where I cast my vote.

The best thing about Trapsassins are the versatility. Just a single point in each of Burst Of Speed and Fade can make a huge difference, especially when your equipment is at a premium.

Fade gives you enough ResAll that you can afford to put on more MF equipment. Burst Of Speed helps you run circles around enemies when you're getting cornered.

Plus, from my experience if you're using Death Sentry as your main skill, you've got the main lightning damage, and supplementary fire/physical with the bodies bursting. Even in hell, I can easily take care of lightning immunes just by concentrating on popping the first one in a pack and having the bodies splash around to kill the rest. You can do this pretty well with Blade Fury - it basically makes you into the rough equivalent of a Bowazon, staying out of harm's way and doing ranged physical damage.

Aaaaaaaannd... on the rare occassion when you find a physical/fire/lightning immune baddie, there's always Venom to give them some poison. Sure, it may not be super, but it works in a pinch, and since Blade Fury is so fast, you should be able to take down even the toughest enemies without *too* much extra time wasted.

6. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

Check out this untwinked lightning Trapper guide.

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=513

I recommend investing only 1 point in shadow master. Fireblast and death sentry will take care of lightning immunes. I like the normal defensive mercs. Trappers are better at area runs than boss runs.

Trappers can be great cow runners too, but be careful with death sentry so you don't kill the king (which means use shadow warrior so you can control her skills there instead of master.)

7. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

I vote for meteorb.

8. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

To build on the trapper theme...

I recommend a kick/trap sin. Not only do you get Light Sentry and Death Sentry, but you throw on some goblin toes, make a strength r/w and put a few pts in Dtalon and you've got quite a pvm machine.

9. solutionx

solutionx IncGamers Member

Sorry but I've tried a couple of assassins and it has to be the least enjoyable class for me. I know a lot of people will feel like arguing against it, but they feel way underpowered/slower than even my fishymancer.

I'm going to go untwinked meteorb. Thanks to everyone!

10. CLIFF BURTON

CLIFF BURTON IncGamers Member

i would say a ww barb using ik there lots of fun and easy to mf and get solo pretty much anything in hell except cs that is lol

11. NateTheBassGuy

NateTheBassGuy IncGamers Member

Good luck finding IK untwinked.

12. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

I've always been a fan of the blizz sorc running meph.

I recently made one... not exactly untwinked, but it is beating out my lvl 90 fishy for MFing ability.

If you go untwinked you could get by with a rare orb, Lore helmet, pair of chancies, rare MF boots, sigon shield or Visceratuant, some nagels or rare rings, viper magi or maybe Spirit Shroud for your armor probably wouldn't be too hard to come by. A rare skill amulet would probably help you out for more then MF because of the untwinked gear.

It will be rough at first, but you should get some decent gear quickly.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=502611
    I think that guide could help you out... even though the "cheap" gear is still sort of far from it for an untwinked char.

13. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

OK, you don't want a necro or a trapper. Then go with a sorceress.

Sorceress really will not be as hard as you think. You can shop for 3 socket ring mail, 3 socket shileds (put Eth in them for faster recover of mana after battle if you use staff), 2 socket helm. Socket the armor and helm with saphires.

Of course you have to pick up a lot of stuff to sell so you can buy a good staff. When you reach act 2 shop at Drogan for a 2 socket whit staff to make a leaf staff out of (Tir + Ral.) The countess can drop Ral or you can cube Ral from other runes. Leaf made out of a +3 Fireball or +3 Firewall staff makes a good leaveling staff.

For your merc in act 1 shop for a 3 socket hunter bow and stick in gems. When you reach act 2 then chose a defiance merc and shop for a 3 socket spear/polearm and stick in gems for elemental damage.

All this is asuming you are not going to be partying with others. I've played many sorceresses untwinked in both single player and on battlenet.

Oh, you might consider trying the blizzard-firewall sorceress (but use glacial spike as your main blizzard synergy for better crowd control.)

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=427018