Best twinking gear

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
Best twinking gear

What's the best twinking gear set-up for a new character?

Also, is it possible to use the socketing quest on Khalim's Will (or the Hellforge Hammer) and if so what would be best to put in that socket?

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
It depends on the character. Barbs and Palas generally make good use of Sigon set. I don't play Sorcs or Druids so no idea there.

My young bowzons/assas usually use the following:
Armor: Twitchthroe (lvl. 16)
Amu: Eye of Etlich (lvl. 15)
Ring 1: Cathan's (lvl. 11)
Ring 2: Manald (lvl. 15)
Belt: Death's Sash (lvl. 6)
Gloves: Death's Hand (lvl. 6)
Boots: Cow King's Hooves (lvl. 13)
Shield: Sigon's if enough str is available (I usually use +str charms to upgrade str without putting pts into it).

I don't know if this is the best twinking gear but I sure use it every time and works really well through Normal and Nightmare difficulties (with some modifications as levels improve ofc).

MrNuby

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I love this one

Weapon: 6s Crystal Sword: 6*20 psn dmg/2s
Armor: 3s Breast Plate: 3*20 psn dmg/2s
Helm: 3s "can't remember name": 3*20 psn dmg/2s
Shield: 3s Tower Shield: 3*20psn dmg/2s

TOTAL: 60+30+30+30:150 poison damage per second.

my favorite (and complete aside from jewelry at level 7):

helm - biggins
ammy - angelic
wep - blood crescent
armor - greyform and twitch at level 14 or whenever you can wear
shield - pelta lunata
gloves - hand of bronc
belt - lenymo
rings - angelic / manald
boots - hot spurs

^^ socket with jewels of envy or max damage jewels.

Cooked

Diabloii.Net Member
More ideas.

PeltaLuna shield, I socket it with a level three +5 max. damage jewel.

Biggins bonnet 30 enhanced damage has +AR +life and mana. Also socketed with level three +5 max damage jewel.

Angelic ring and amulet if you need AR boost or Nagels will work too.

For twitch I add one level eight +9 max damage jewel.

Forge hammer and act 3 flail cannot be socketed. At least not in 1.09; have to admitt I have not tried since.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm surprised no one has mentione kalim's will as the best starting item for any melee char. But two of them on a barb and that is godly at lvl 1. lol

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
mhl12 said:
I'm surprised no one has mentione kalim's will as the best starting item for any melee char. But two of them on a barb and that is godly at lvl 1. lol
I mentioned it in my initial post. :)
So, has anyone tried socketing it?

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
Earl Grey said:
I mentioned it in my initial post. :)
So, has anyone tried socketing it?
oh oops, srry I rushed through all th posts.

I think that you could socket it but it would be a waste seeing that you would most likely replace it after lvl 15ish.

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
i'm trying to do a twinking guide, and i think i almost have it down. need a few speed tests though.

but, here's my fav:
3 piece angel set, ammy plus _any_ 2 other parts.
2 or 3 tir mask/crown/any helm
full hsarus set, the only low lvl set you can actually use at the lvl listed because of stat reqs.

Anticrombie

Diabloii.Net Member
My vote goes to Sigons on any char. I usually put enough str, plus i got almost a full mule of str for those "just in case" times. If not for the damage, sigons has good resists, defense, and attacker takes damage of..

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
Hsaru Boots + Belt
Death Gloves + Belt
Twitch
Gorefoot
Treads
Angelic Combo
Sigon set/pieces
max damage socketed weapons
gem socketed weapons
max damage charms
life charms

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think you could socket Khalim's Will; doesn't it disappear if you go past Act 3 with it?

I prefer Khalim's for a starting weapon because you can use it at level 1 and it's sooo fast. Pelta Lunata is nice at level 2. Then Hsaru's full set (fr/w, belt has lots of space for the level, and +str from shield, although sometimes I keep the Pelta).

Then Cleglaw's full set (seems to work really well in Tristram; 35% CB, 20% IAS, slow). Takes lots of str and dex to use, though (I just use charms).

Or Sigon's full set (again, I have lots of strength charms to get it on at level 6 without having to put points into strength).

Civerb's Cudgel does pretty good damage, too, and the amulet has a nice 40% mana regen.

Berserker's full set is also fun for a barb, especially if you're gonna use double swing.

Angelic rings + amulet once you get to that level.

I have a character whose only job is to hold this stuff. That way, when I start a new character, I can just dump it onto him all at once. Along with gold, tomes, keys, etc.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
mhl12 said:
The problem is that you can pick up just one :p But there still is the hellforge hammer and both are mace class.

plasmo said:
I don't think you could socket Khalim's Will; doesn't it disappear if you go past Act 3 with it?
After you finished the appropriate quest, the quest item will disappear and you can't pick it up anymore in that difficulty level. I never tried it, but I see no reason why Laruk shouldn't socket quest weapons.

Arbedark

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
The problem is that you can pick up just one :p But there still is the hellforge hammer and both are mace class.
THATS why you use 2 x Horadric Hand Axe's or Khalim's Hand Axe's.

Bit less damage, but can dual wield, so for barbs it offsets at low levels usually.

I normally use the Jewel's of Envy setup though, kinda falls around andy though :(

Arb

Xenon[XoA]

Banned
heh, someone beat me to it.
You can socket the hand axes. I usually just dump 60k onto a char, and let em gamble for stuff.

30/20 vulpine bone shield, 2x flawless dia's
angelics for melee, or fc/mana/res/ar rings - couple of lvl 9-16 ones for casters

mule some regular / flawless gems for life/mana sockets, if they dont find any.

118 life 24fhr liteplate @ 25, but by then its usually baals, so it doesnt matter all too much.

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
What I'm most interested in is starting gear. That means level 1.

I read somewhere about 6s Maul or Great Maul (probably socketed with -15 req jewels). Would that be better than Khalim's Will? Isn't a maul too slow to compete with Khalim's?

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
IMO L1 twinking gear is pointless because after perhaps 10 minutes your character is L5 with just what he started with, even when playing solo. Anyway, if you have two computers, a high level enchantress (who unparties or leaves the game after enchanting your weapon) and the fastest weapon available is a very efficient way of twinking. Your character will kill nearly all monster in normal mode with a single hit and high-level enchant lasts very long.

A great maul needs str 99, so a L1 barb (30 str) needs one with -70%reqs, i.e. 4x Hel or a combination of Hel and low -req/xx jewels. Of course, a maul is rather slow, but it will kill anything with one hit in the early part of the game, depending on additional socketing. A maul needs str 69 and therefore a little less -req. That weapon is faster, but I'm not sure if there is enough L1 socketing stuff to catch up with respect to damage.

norvi11erogers

Diabloii.Net Member
Earl Grey said:

I read somewhere about 6s Maul or Great Maul (probably socketed with -15 req jewels). Would that be better than Khalim's Will? Isn't a maul too slow to compete with Khalim's?
in that case, your only options really are quest items and items socketed with jewels and gems.

since these don't exist for belts, gloves, and boots, you'll have to go with low level uniques, sets, or just plain whites.

envy jewels are quite nice, especially if you get a lot of them. Sometimes, rare jewels can be decent for low levels. I just found one with -reqs, +life and ar. Low +s to life and ar, but still, none too shabby for zero lvl req.

+max damage jewels can be useful as well, but they appear to be lvl 3-8ish req according to this.

%ed jewels can get up to 10% w/o a lvl req. For most weapons, this is pretty useless. Here is a list of all normal items that can get 6 sockets. Keep in mind that using the socket quest on one of these items may not give you 6 sockets if the item is found too early:

name speed ave dmg req str dex
1h:
military pick -10 9 49 33
war axe 0 14 67 -
crystal sword 0 10 43 -
great sword 10 16 100 60

2h:
great axe -10 19.5 63 39
giant axe 10 33.5 69 -
maul 10 36.5 69 -
great maul 20 48 99 -
halberd 0 28.5 75 47
war scythe -10 23.5 80 80
spetum 0 19 54 35
pike 20 38.5 60 45
war staff 20 20 - -
great sword 10 33.5 100 60

flails and war scepters get 5 sockets, and i personally like them a lot, so meh. There are also some good options for 4-5 socket items. It's possible to get a carbuncle jewel of freedom. With a couple of these + some normal carbuncle jewels, any of these items are useable at lvl 1. As one can see, a carbuncle jewel, which increases dmg by 10%, is normally not as good as a +max damage jewel, which increases (at lvl 3 or 4) ave dmg by 2.5. The great maul clearly has a much higher average damage than any other. You should check the weapon speed calc to see if it would work out for you. If you had a superior great maul, you could have up to 75% ed at lvl 1, which would be 84 average physical damage - none too shabby. It woudl require some nice jewels with ed -reqs though. From this list, you can also see why a crystal sword is such a common choice for twinking. It's got low reqs; its speed isn't bad; and some good low level jewels (<10) can increase its max dmg up to 4-5 each. One handed weapons also allow the use of shields, which can also add damage.

The poison damage jewels are effective because they are applied over such a short time. When these add up, they can get very deadly.

If I could spend a lot of time getting good twinking equipt, I might try these setups:

max str, phys damage, attainable at lvl 6:
helm and armor with flawed Amethysts (keep in mind +str adds 110% for mauls) or max damage.
Great maul with 75% ed, -reqs, or maybe +damage.
Sig's gloves and boots.
Rings/ammy of +str.
charms of +str. According to arreat summit, large charms can be +3 at lvl 3. Gcs are up to 4 w/o lvl req.

The max damage jewels would be better for the armors than for the weapon because of how ed% is applied.

poison:
fast weapon, perhaps khalims flail. Better might be military pick or crystal with 6 poison jewels.
Helm, armor, shield with poison jewels
sig's/deaths gloves and belt/boots.
charms, jewelry to use equipt.

what i might go with:
khalim's flail or pick with 6 poison or max dmg
armor, helm, shield, with poison or max dmg
sigs/deaths gloves, belt/boots

If you were a paladin or barb with early skills that added %dmg (like might, sacrifice), it might be better to use max dmg jewels or go the str route. if one wanted to go with the great maul without waiting till lvl 6, chipped gems could be used with gcs. I also still might add some poison charms in the helm and armor.

edit: tables unreadable. didn't know it ate whitespace. also. what a succesful morning at work i've had.

also, what was said about enchant was very true.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
Earl Grey said:

6 socket great sword with a chipped gem of choice inserted FIRST for color, and then 5x hel runes for extremly low reqs. Now that is a sexy level 1 wep :)

Inu

Banned
Raven Claw bow (needs level 16 I think) and Enchant. The Enchant will affect the splash. Other items are not needed since this one is superior to everything and leech won't help much since it doesn't stack with Elemental Damage.