Best sorc to start the new ladder?

sequoia

Diabloii.Net Member
Best sorc to start the new ladder?

The main bosses I've considered were Meph, Eld, Shenk, and Pindle. The easiest, best dropping bosses for early untwinked MF'ing in massive amounts. I'll be going through the game with a party, so we don't need to point out glaring weaknesses trying to get to Hell. Maybe difficulties in running specific MF areas, but not getting there.

Here are my considerations:

1) Pure blizz - Great damage, can run meph like cake, and same with ancient tunnels. However, cannot run Eld/Shenk/Pindle (the super duper easy 3), which are great to run in massive amounts. Big issue IMO.

2) Pure light - Can run Eld/Shenk/Pindle... not meph - not untwinked for a while, anyway. I don't even know if it can run any level 85 areas without infinity, either. Also, is the weakest untwinked.

3) Pure fire - Can run meph/eld/shenk/pindle... not pretty on the latter 3 I imagine, but I guess it can do it. Any cons about this one? I've never heard of a single pure meteor build...

4) Meteorb - Can still run meph with meteor, same with eld/shenk/pindle. Any reason to do this one then? After all, orb isn't useful here once i'm running.

5) Blizzball - Relatively "weak" blizzard, but can still do meph due to moat trick (may not have the speed). Because of fireball can MAYBE do eld/shenk/pindle? Anyone have experience with this build to know if fireball is enough here to run them? How much do I have to put into ball to make her run them effectively? Can also run tunnels just as well as pure blizz I imagine.

Did I miss anything? I've got no experience with sorcs after the synergy patch, so I'd appreciate any and ALL opinions. :thumbup:

ZachLap

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Best sorc to start the new ladder?

I'd say Cold and have a friend with a Light? Get the best of both worlds :-D

UberB

Diabloii.Net Member

1) Pure blizz - Great damage, can run meph like cake, and same with ancient tunnels. However, cannot run Eld/Shenk/Pindle (the super duper easy 3), which are great to run in massive amounts. Big issue IMO.
No, it's not. Eld/Shenk/Pindle hardly give you anything good and are only good for higher level stuff, which takes lots of runs and typically has a very little return rate. I don't know what you mean by blizzard not being able to do Pindle, they're the fastest Pindle runners provided he's not CI. I would go for blizzard, does really well untwinked because you don't have to go toe to toe with monsters and cold mastery reduces resists, so no matter how low your damage is you can still kill stuff.

KellKheraptis

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally I'm going pure Bliz until I can get the gear together to make a smiter and a light sorc, and then starting on the keys right out of the gate. I previously had done key runs with either my hammerdin or my frenzy barb, and both of them had issues with Nilithak, but once I fired up CL/LI with a Nature's Peace on, he became a joke :D That and so long as I'm careful with her, the Blizzer even with utter garbage gear is gfg for hell cows (first to make infinity, anyone?).

Road Ratt

Diabloii.Net Member

I will be starting with a Blizz sorc. My blizz mf run: Andy, Mephy, Pindle, Ancient Tunnels and Cows. I also run Countess and Summoner for keys until I get a better key runner. I also like to run Eldritch and Shenk but as often as they drop something good they can always wait until I have a hammerdin geared up for mfing.

sequoia

Diabloii.Net Member

Looks like pure blizz is the best option

How is pure fire though, i've NEVER even heard of it

Howling Wolf

Diabloii.Net Member

i'll doing pure fire, i can do andy( two fb and she is dead), meph, pindle and 3 keys(niha after i get bored of pindle)

nostrumfiend

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm. What's the damage of a pure FB build compared to pure blizzard for say moating meph? The only thing that turns me off about FB is that I can't kite while it damages like I can with blizzard.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

Pure FB can be almost, but not quite, as fast against Meph as a Blizzsorc (well, actually, you'll likely want to use Meteor on Meph, but you'll have the synergies for Meteor and FB anyways). The biggest difference (for me) is the extra mana the FB sorc spends/requires, making it a little more gear-dependent.

Back to the original question.

Everyone and their grandmother will be running Meph after the restart. So I was thinking, they'll all have the same items to offer in trade as each other, so it'll drive the price of most Meph-items down fairly quick. So, wouldn't it make sense to tackle another target that drops non-Meph items that can be traded easily (and at a reasonably high value)?

For example, if you spend 10 hours running the Countess instead of Meph, you'll probably have a decent rune or two or five, and you'll be able to use them to trade for the stuff that Meph drops (that everyone else will likely have in semi-abundant supply). Plus, the Countess is easier to reach with poor equipment (read: very early in Hell), and if you're lucky she'll give you a few good item drops anyways (and definitely a few Keys).

So, if I were to restart on ladder (I won't), I'd probably start with a CL/FO sorc for Countess runs. This build would have the versatility to run different areas like The Pits too.

<--- just my thoughts.

Dirkw

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm. What's the damage of a pure FB build compared to pure blizzard for say moating meph? The only thing that turns me off about FB is that I can't kite while it damages like I can with blizzard.
rofl. This kind of tactics don't apply to d2 anyway. Not with TP.

Blizz sorc.

KellKheraptis

Diabloii.Net Member

Sirpoopsalot, I'd considered the same thing as well, what with everyone wanting to farm Mephy, but CL/FO would seem kind of item dependent. Have you taken one up from scratch untwinked before? I know Normal/NM will be a joke once FO is available, hell the same way with a little bit of FCR/Skills?

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

CL/FO isn't particularly item dependent. Of course, having good items obviously would help, but I don't think the build is noticably more item dependent than a Meteorb.

The biggest drawback would be mana requirements. If I made this untwinked, I'd start as a lightning sorc, and leave CL until almost the end. I'd probably spend a few into Energy too (~25-50 points), just to make the early progression a little less miserable.

KellKheraptis

Diabloii.Net Member

CL/FO isn't particularly item dependent. Of course, having good items obviously would help, but I don't think the build is noticably more item dependent than a Meteorb.

The biggest drawback would be mana requirements. If I made this untwinked, I'd start as a lightning sorc, and leave CL until almost the end. I'd probably spend a few into Energy too (~25-50 points), just to make the early progression a little less miserable.
Meh, I'd be more inclined to snag some sapphires myself :p I do know that max block will be right out, as I plan on using a spirit (probably two of them until I manage to score something better), and between that and an insight on the merc, I should be good to go for mana in hell. Have you ever tried one with an Infinity merc? I would imagine it would super buff Orb's kill speed, and we already know what CL/LI does with a Conviction aura. Maybe turn the speed freak killing machine into the Majin Vegeta of sorcs?

himchung

Diabloii.Net Member

im back to playing since the cow channel days. how bout the good ol firewall and orb sorc is that still good for mfing?

Krovvy

Diabloii.Net Member

It's viable, but a Meteorb or Blizzballer would definitely kill much faster. A pure Blizzard build would work best if you're planning to only do Mephisto, but it has trouble soloing in parts of the game where cold immune monsters are present.

redground

Diabloii.Net Member

i am going for a pure cold sorc.

20 - ice bolt
20 - ice blast
20 - blizz
20 - CM
teleport
static
warmth
orb/staff with energy shield on swich
rest on glacial spike.

Where there are no cold imunes it rocks. I can get big dmg with blizz for bosses but also can use orb for killinga bunch fast anso have blast to kill single monsters that i want to stop. it is ideal for meph, andy, pindle, ancient, museleun.

after i get some good itens i will start a hammerdin for key runs and baal.

then depending on the itens i get to i will start a amazon (never player with one).

Mystic

Diabloii.Net Member

I was actually thinking about making a Lightning Nova Sorc to start the new ladder season. Seeing how easy it is to obtain the runes needed to make Insight doing nightmare andy and countess runs, mana usage shouldn't be too much of an issue at this point should it?

- Max Nova and Lightning Mastery (doing 495 - 710 lightning damage) at level 49 with skills left over!!!
- No need to worry about mana! (because Insite gives you Meditation Aura)
- Insite also gives you 35% FCR to boot!
- don't need enignma for teleport!

What more do you need? (other then more FRC of corse)

But my question is what skill would be good to concentrate on there after? I was thinking of making her a Nova God and maxing Frost Nova and Synergies! (thus allowing me to use max Froxen Orb if needed!!) But then I began thinking... Frost Nova Damage only does 280 - 337 damage. Yeah it may do slightly more damage then Frozen Orb and slow the enemies as well but it does less then half the damage Nova (my main skill) does. Is it worth it? If I only want to slow the enemies with Frost Nova then 1 point is enough. Or even better yet, just get an act 2 Holy Freeze Merc!!!

So back to the main question. What skill do I concentrate on? I figuar either Blizzard or Meteor/Fire Ball combo. Blizzard has the potential to kit 1.8k plus depending on how many points I add to cold mastery or Meteor/Fire Ball have the potential to hit 4.7k plus Meteor Damage and 2.1k plus Fire Ball Damage with max Fire Mastery.

Personally, I think blizzard would be more effeciant at moating Mephesto but on the other hand, Fire Ball is a projectile doing the same amout of damage as Blizzard if not more with Meteor to back it up. Humm, sounds like I answered my own question. Meteor/Fire Ball would probably be the smarter of the two choices with a Holy Freeze Merc huh? That would mean I would have all 3 elements to my advantages!

Anyway, if someone could give me there input on the matter, I thank you!

P.S. Sorry about any spelling errors, I am sure there are plenty!

Krovvy

Diabloii.Net Member

If you really want Nova, I'd probably go with Blizzard as a backup.

Though there are probably more effective builds, not sure how well Nova does these days.

Mystic

Diabloii.Net Member

"not sure how well Nova does these days"
Well, I know with the Infinity Rune Word it give you some awesome mods to make Nova pretty awesome. Like...

>> - 45 to 55% enemy Lightning Resistances!
>> 50% chance to cast Level 20 Chain Lightning when you kill an enemy! (and don't forget, Nova is a synergy to Chain Lightning)
>> Level 12 Conviction Aura

Sure, you'll lose Meditation Aura from Insite but you can just have it on switch. But Infinity is something I'll get a bit later on in the game because of it's rareity (because or ladder restart)

Infinity is just to start out with!