Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best solo classes and builds? (PvM)

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by neurro, Apr 14, 2005.

1. neurro

neurro IncGamers Member

Best solo classes and builds? (PvM)

I've recently picked up and have really gotten into playing D2 again. I primarily play by myself and with a friend. I was wondering what classes and builds were best suited towards solo play? What classes and builds are best suited towards quick clears(area of affect)?

Right now I have these characters:

Fire/Summoning Druid
    Lightning Trapsin Assassin
    Lightning/Frost Orb Sorc
    Whirlwind Barbarian
    and Hammerdin Paladin

I haven't really gotten into the power gaming aspect of D2, but it does interest me. Thanks for any help.

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

hammerdins
    summon necros
    meteorb sorcs

are the better chars for pvm

3. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Run like the wind!

Whirlwind barbs are terrific until you reach the Chaos Sanctuary (the Oblivion Knights will cast various necro curses at you and one of the nastiest is IM or Iron Maiden, which causes damage you do to a monster to be reflected back onto you many times what the normal damage value ought to be). Every character needs a non-melee skill that won't cause damage to be reflected on them (for the Barb, War Cry or Howl works wonders...War Cry hurts and stuns while Howl makes them run away, perhaps just long enough for IM to wear off).

4. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

Berserk is a barbarian's best solution to IM. 1 pt is enough assuming you've pumped up your weapon mastery of choice.

I really enjoy frenzy barbarians for PvM. The greatly increased r/w satisfies my inner speed demon, and you get good value from all those interesting mods that trigger randomly (deadly strike, crushing blow, chance to cast).

5. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

I wouldn't count summoning necro anything good when talking about PvM unless you really have your summoning skills on a high level (~ 35+, I'd think).
    I use hammerdin myself or a lightningsorc (though the sorc is bad in some places due to immunities).
    I've seen javazons doing pretty well in PvM as well with their lightning (lightning fury? I never use amazon builds) skills.

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

actually, summoning necros are one of the best starting mf chars to play untwinked since they are not item dependent at all.

ask anyone here if you have any doubts

7. Hemmo

Hemmo IncGamers Member

You think summonnecros need skills at +30?
    Well, how about my mf-summoner with +2 skills, around -50 res all and 706 mf. He can do CS in around 6 to 10 minutes.

8. -havok-

-havok- IncGamers Member

agreed. I made a summoner as my second ladder character (after my trapassin). I've made a couple now because I like the style of play. Very easy to play with, very safe if you've got a slow pc or connection and you dont need many +skills at all. Check out the necromancer forum and find the fishymancer guide, its very good! :)

If you're playing solo or with a very small number of people then Amp + corpse explosion is a god send in Hell.

think they are probably my favorite character... :cool:

9. exhibit_a

exhibit_a IncGamers Member

I just started ladder (from nl) and I have to agree. Untwinked, summon necros rock

Best eq on my necro is a +2 summon skills bone wand

My other eq is sub-standard. Arctic armor and belt (40% mf, and def based on level..though swapping that out for 4 ptopaz ancient armor I just found..I'll gamble a good belt to go with it), and Mildi's shield (for the mf..which I plan to swap out with Splendor rune word in a necro head). 3 Ptopaz crown, 15% mf gloves and a pair of 35% mf boots. Only unique is a nagel I found in act 1 normal

Yea, I've had some good drops, but most dont fit with what I need at the moment, so I mule

I tossed a few GF charms in inv to help with gambling, the rest is resist sc's

Just finished NM act 4 last night.. no sweat (Hell Forge gave me a Lum..whee :) ), and plan on running trav for a while to collect up some SCs so I can get my resists up before Hell. ( -20 fire resist just doesnt cut it )

As a note though, you really -need- decrepify to get past normal Baal and you need to max RS and SM by early NM.

I get 9 skellies, 1 clay golum and 3 revives atm.. between those and CE, I'm doing fine. Only major pain has been maggots lair and any place that is fairly closed in (like durance1 & 2...bleh) Combine with a might merc and you are toasty...in fact, my might merc has better gear than my necro :)

10. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Frost Zealot:
    Holy Freeze/Zeal is a decent build. Mine can handle himself in hell fairly decently. Norm and NM are no problem anymore as the Holy Freeze aura kills everything. If you're looking for a fun Melee build I'd recommend this one.