Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best socket choice for perfect ethereal bonehew?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by b2p, Mar 14, 2004.

1. b2p

b2p Banned

best socket choice for perfect ethereal bonehew?

yup totally perfect! using it for act 2 merc. would ohm, 40/15ias, 40/15max, or shael be best?

2. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

It is a very good weapon for an Act 2 merc. Two of my mercs are that lucky :)

What you should put in the sockets depends on what other gear you have on your merc. Having life leech is good for keeping them alive and many people put an Amn in one socket although 2 Amns would probably be overkill.

Below is the IAS table for an Ogre Axe and remember Bonehew has 30% onboard already. So one IAS jewel or a shael gets the 37% breakpoint and a Shael and a jewel gets the 65% breakpoint. Your merc could also wear equipment that boosts IAS so it can get quite complex if you want to output the maximum damage over time with him.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR class=two><TD class=one>Character</TD><TD colSpan=2>Mercenary - Act 2</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one>Weapon</TD><TD colSpan=2>Ogre Axe / Ogeraxt</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one>Skill</TD><TD colSpan=2>Jab</TD></TR><TR class=header><TD align=middle>IAS</TD><TD align=middle>Frames per attack</TD><TD align=middle>Attacks per second</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one align=middle>0 %</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD align=middle>3.1</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one align=middle>9 %</TD><TD align=middle>7.5</TD><TD align=middle>3.3</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one align=middle>20 %</TD><TD align=middle>7</TD><TD align=middle>3.5</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one align=middle>37 %</TD><TD align=middle>6.5</TD><TD align=middle>3.8</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one align=middle>65 %</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD align=middle>4.1</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one align=middle>105 %</TD><TD align=middle>5.5</TD><TD align=middle>4.5</TD></TR><TR class=two><TD class=one align=middle>200 %</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hope that helps a bit.

3. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I totally agree that 2 Amns is overkill. My merc wears gaze and shaft and the DR plus the relatively small leech from gaze keeps him alive. I 2x shael runes in my bonhew and hit the 6frame breakpoint - a whole extra attack per second gives him a huge benefit. I however wouldn't go so far to say that Amns are useless. When I was of lower level my bonehew was AmnHel, allowing my merc to survive when I did not have all that DR gear. AmnShael is a great combo, unless it won't help you pass any break points.

4. b2p

b2p Banned

thanks for all your advice guys!

i ended up getting an offer for my perfect bonehew for a low end ethereal thresher. since i heard that they were much better than bonehew, i made the trade and then added a socket myself.

what would be the best socket for the thresher then? :lol:

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i would have kept the bonehew. i just got one last night, non-eth, and it has a 195 str req. etheral would have put it in a decent str req range for a merc without a hel.

6. Bakerking31

Bakerking31 IncGamers Member

u made the right choice ... reapers is MUCH better for a merc than bonehew, i would put the jewel in it myself, but a shael would get u to the 20% breakpoint so its really up to you and the other gear that ur merc is usin

7. b2p

b2p Banned

woohoow! does anyone have the merc ias tables for a thresher?

8. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

Yes Reapers is definately better, and here are the bp's :

Settings
    Character Mercenary - Act 2
    Weapon Thresher / Drescher
    Skill Jab
    IAS Frames per attack Attacks per second
    0 % 7.5 3.3
    8 % 7 3.5
    22 % 6.5 3.8
    44 % 6 4.1
    75 % 5.5 4.5
    142 % 5 5

From this calc : http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

9. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Well the Reapers Toll can be better than a Bonehew for some builds if you take the 33% chance to cast Decrepify into account but otherwise it is slower and has less basic damage. A Necromancer and an Amazon using Atmas would ususlly prefer the Bonehew but if you are happy that is the main thing. :)

10. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

eth reapers is far better than eth bonehew for a sorceress, paladin, weredruid, barbarian, etc.... not just some builds, but most benefit more from the reapers.

IMO, you made a good trade :thumbsup:

--fatty

11. b2p

b2p Banned

from the looks of it, i cant even meet the second breakpoint if i add the shael. so i guess i will go find a 40ed/15ias jewel now or ohm it.

thx all