Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Smiter Weapon?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Tweezle, May 22, 2008.

1. Tweezle

Tweezle IncGamers Member

Best Smiter Weapon?

I just need some opinions on which Smiter weapon is most effective for PVM:

Grief
    Last Wish
    CTA

And armor:

COH
    Fortitude

TY

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Best Smiter Weapon?

Why CtA as smiter weapon? It's great for a weapon switch, but does absolutely nothing else for a smiter.

I suggest Grief. It adds bucketloads of +damage to smite. Last Wish has several useful mods, but those can be found in other items (Treachery for Fade, Exile or Draculs Grasp for Life Tap, Guillaume's Face and Gore Riders for 50% crushing blow). +damage from Grief, however, cannot be found on any other equipment.

Armor: depends on your resists. If you have problems maxing them out versus Mephisto's Conviction, use COH. If you can get max res from elsewhere, Fortitude all the way.

BTW, I love Courage!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  3. Tweezle

Tweezle IncGamers Member

Thanks....yeah Courage is hilarious, like robot chicken too and all those wacky toons.

Well, I had put CTA in the mix b/c I have seen a couple of videos where the Smiter soloed Uber and he used the CTA for BO before taking on Mephy. I didn't know if it (BO) was useful enough to consider taking it as a secondary switch out for a solo Uber run or just stick with the Grief.

I have enough resists but prob. wouldn't hurt to have more for Uber so COH would be best I guess.

I have the dracs, gores and the exile. The only downside is I can't use the Guilim helm for some reason-((
    When wearing I don't have enough dex. to use the Grief. I have to use my shako instead. I have enough dex. charms to make up for it. Oh well......

4. Findux

Findux IncGamers Member

There is a Paladin strategy forum for these kind of questions :wink3:

5. Gaenor

Gaenor Banned

A budget-weapon for smite would be the Fleshripper.

25% CB, Slows Target By 20% and -50% Target Defense is really nice! :smiley:

6. Dr Elmer Jiggle

Dr Elmer Jiggle IncGamers Member

Both weapons are great. If cost is no object, then I prefer Last Wish. If cost is a concern, then you really don't get enough benefit from Last Wish to make it worth the runes.

The nice thing about Last Wish is that, yes, it's true you can get all of its benefits from other equipment, but then you're locked into using those specific other equipment options. Last Wish gives you choices.

For example, you can get Fade from Treachery. OK, but now you're stuck using Treachery for your armor (or even worse carrying a second armor and wasting the time to swap armors in and out). With Last Wish, you can use Chains of Honor, Fortitude, or whatever other armor suits your fancy (Duress?). You can get Life Tap from Dracul's Grasp and/or Exile, but now you have no choice on what gloves or shield to use. If you use Last Wish, you can swap in a different pair of gloves (Blood crafted with IAS) or a different shield (Herald of Zakarum). You can get crushing blow from Guillaume's Face, but you already told us you have some problem with that item. What if you want to use Kira's Guardian for resistances or a Crown of Ages for damage reduction or any number of other helmets?

If you're happy with the exact set of equipment that you'll need to make Grief work, then there's no question that it's better. You'll do more damage. But if you prefer to try some other ideas, then Last Wish will let you do that much more easily than Grief.

Furthermore, don't forget that somewhere around 90-99% of the damage you do is going to come from crushing blow. Yes, Grief will let you do more damage with Smite, but so what? You'll probably kill the ubers 3 to 5 seconds faster, if that. So, again, it's true that Grief is faster, but if you like the idea of what Last Wish brings to the table, don't let someone convince you that Last Wish sucks because of all the damage you're "sacrificing."

Edit: In the end, any weapon with crushing blow is a good PvM smiter weapon. A Black rune word flail is actually surprisingly good, and for the price you can't beat it.

7. Tweezle

Tweezle IncGamers Member

Great advice, TY.

I some thinking to do. It may well be worth the cost of the runes for Last Wish from what you've said.

8. MagpieLee

MagpieLee IncGamers Member

Grief and probably one in PB - it adds just raw damage which then gets multiplied by all the ED% modifiers. Also the weapon speed is super fast.

LW is a good option as it adds a massive chunk of CB which will mean you can release your other CB giving items to something more useful. Once again it also gives great stuff like Fade and might.

You menioned for PVM, for smiters for PVM send to end up being zealots ;)
    If your main goal is for ubers then yes, its a toss up between the two.

9. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Indeed, if you make a PvM smiter who will also sometimes zeal, it's really hard to beat Grief. LW in Phaseblade has too low base weapon damage to be really killing monsters, even with Fanat and Might aura from the LW. Meanwhile, using Grief in Zeal deals more damage than using an ethereal BotD berserker axe, and much faster as well. LW has no IAS and has too puny damage to be a good zeal weapon.

10. Tweezle

Tweezle IncGamers Member

Yeah, main goal is to use in Uber. I do plan to use both zeal and smite so guess i could still use both weps and switch out and I change attack.

My idea is to smite the bosses and finish off the minions with zeal.

My build is really a hammerdin in the first place and the idea to use him as a smiter came a couple of weeks ago when I wanted to try something new with him. It's really fun whacking them but found out the hard way NOT to hit an Oblivion Knight...!!

BTW- I Have never really done PVP 'cept a couple of times and have to admit I am horrible at it. Sounds like fun but guess I'm just
    not talanted enough or quick enough cuz I scrape my body (minus an ear) of the ground before I can even get a hit on anyone.:embarassed: