Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best shield for sanctuary?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Pseudostack, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Pseudostack

Pseudostack IncGamers Member

Best shield for sanctuary?

I'm making a smite pally and I need to know what shield to make my sanctuary out of. I already know that it should be a 45 res shield, but is there any particular type of shield thats better?

2. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

Re: Best shield for sanctuary?

well all paladin shields have the same smite damage, just some have a wider range.

vortex shields have the highest str req, highest base defense, widest range of smite damage (5-87) and the lowest block %

sacred targe is at the other end of the spectrum with the lowest str req, lowest base defense, a tighter range of smite damage (22-70) and the highest block %

kurast shields are in the middle in terms of defense and block, but have the tightest range of smite damage at 46-46.

3. MFDeath

MFDeath IncGamers Member

Honestly doesnt matter much when it comes to pally shields, they all have very similar range for block and smite dmg, so I'd use the first 3os pshield I find with more than 40res. Sanctuary is cheap, so make another one if you come across a better shield later. Just be careful with the str requirement, apart from that there's no real clear winner. For non pally I'd recommend a troll nest.

4. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

No it should be in a 65% ed sacred targe since you get enough resist from sanctuary's mod anyways. This shield is not made to get high defense like that old cc ev exile that I do not care for at all.

5. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

6. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Don't make a Sanctuary, not worth the price.

These work fine:

- 3x PDiamond Gris shield;
    - 4x PDiamond any elite pally shield with some res;
    - decent base res Spirit in an elite base.

If price isn't an issue, get a HoZ. Sanctuary is in the no-man's-land of price ranges, really.

7. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

i disagree with Scudstorm. a sanctuary shield is a great quick-fix resistance stacking option for any pally who can get by without FCR on their shield.

my pvp smiter uses a 109% res sanctuary shield when i need extra res in a hurry (eg: against blizzard sorks).

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Not when fighting Ãœbers. In that case you need 125% extra res.

Apart from that, %ed on paladin shields is not that useful, as a melee paladin typically has more than 1000% off-weapon already, so an extra 65% are next to irrelevant.

9. KathyPepper

KathyPepper IncGamers Member

I am not playing this anymore for today but before I am very much addict in playing Diablo.
    I am playing as a Paladin before but later on I found the quest very tiry. :(

10. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

So are shields socketed with diamonds. And there, you even have the option to customise slightly by introducing other gems or runes.

If resistances are all you are after, there are better options ihmo.

11. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

True plus sanctuary offers fhr which helps in pvp. But I heard spirit on a smiter is the best vs many casters. Im not talking about all casters but you know what I mean.

12. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

slow missiles is fun to play with.

13. mephiztophelez

err, no. if your making a Sanctuary you're making it for resists. so may as well get as much res as you can on it.

65%ed bases are for PvP exile shields and LLD +min/+max zealot shields.

hmm.
    ok, 70% res from RW mod + 45% base = +115% res all.

a 4x p-diamond pally shield in a 45 res base = 121% res-all (or 137% if you use Um runes)

so for "all-res", i rekon a Sanctuary is a better bet. you get some decent block and a nice +20 dex (which incidently allows my pvp smiter to remove his waterwalks and replace with frw/fhr/cold/lit res rares). it's a great Vs-All shield when you need mass res.

for a single-res shield, eg: 4x p-Sapphire in a 45% res base = 205% cold res and 45% to the rest, then yes, a robo-shield is the way to go.

spirit can be a very useful pvp smite shield. tons of FHR, semi decent resists and the FCR boost are great for chain-lock telesmiting a fast-cast sork.

+1. not much will upset a fire sork faster than tagging 'em with slow missiles.

14. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

That is true. It also helps in baaling if the monsters are very chaotic with missle attacks.

If you were talking about getting resist against meph then yes thats when you make sanc out of a 45% all resist sacred rondache for your smiter.

15. mephiztophelez

i'm talking about my smiter getting resists for PvP Blizzard sorks, particularly souped up FoH'dins and the occasional nova'nec or asshat'zon (fc).

or teamed up combinations thereof which tend to infest pub pk games. i can maintain max res under a combined conviction aura/lower resist nerf. but cold mastery will start to bite hard without Thaw pots.

i built as a vs-all smiter (maxed lit res) and because of my lactose intolerance, i get around an up'd HoZ rather than the chevre that is exile.

Sanctuary is an important piece of switch kit for me. the other common bulk-resists-in-a-hurry option is a Kiras. that would involve removing my current hat, which just aint gonna happen.

Sanctuary is a really good shield. the reason you don't see more people use it often is the addiction to the lame cheese of lifetap that 99.99% of smiters have.

16. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Then there is another reason for that sanctuary shield.