Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best shield for a mf orientated hdin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Shanksie1337, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

best shield for a mf orientated hdin

is IST'ing a HoZ the best way to go?
    ( i have the ist and the HoZ, i am just wondering if there is a better option before i commit).

ty in advance.

(EU L btw sc)

2. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

If you can spare the resist on the shield then sure but if you could say um the shield and then put on an item somewhere else (travs instead of treahaunch ex) that would give alot more

3. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

just use a mf shield on weapon switch like a 4ist shield milbegas rhyme etc

4. Shanksie1337

ok you don't make sense - i assume u missed a few "," in there so:
    4 IST shield - i am well off but not that well off!, besides the HoZ provides +skills, 50 res all etc, and that is gonna be hard to replace, even for another 75 mf.
    as for milabregas!!! i mean as i have the HoZ and the IST how can u even mention milabregas?
    RHYME - same really, an IST'd HoZ beats rhyme black and blue, more res, more +skills etc

i assume i have the right idea if thats the best u can come up with!

5. Shanksie1337

as for the resists, between the HoZ (50), the Wizardspike (75) and the anni (min of 10) i shall be pretty much sorted for resists. With a Gull/ali baba on switch for extra mf for the kill i should be fine. Besides why waste an UM when a p diamond in the shield is SO much cheaper!?

As for the WT's they are included already - see above for resists - ppl worry too much about resists when mf'ing - assume your char is at a decent level - ie nice health and ideal gear - and the extra resists, (not that mine will be bad), are simply not needed.

6. UselessOne

UselessOne IncGamers Member

If you already have high MF (400+), whats the point of using an Ist to just get 25-30% more MF? The extra 30% will have practically no impact on how many extra unique or set items that will drop. The more important thing is what treasure class drops from a monster and MF has no impact on that.

7. Shanksie1337

true but if i can get to 400 mf using much fewer items - ie in my case:
    74 from ptopaz shako
    ~ 115 from ptopaz skullders
    25 from HoZ "IST"
    40 from upgraded chancies
    30 from upgraded goldwrap
    60 from 2 nagels
    plus xxx from gheeds and mf sc's
    then the better my killing speed and i can use the extra gear to get more life/fcr/res's etc

besides who knows when that extra mf is going to get u the unique instead of the the rare - as long as the extra mf hasn't cost me in other important areas then its all good.
    Hence my origianal post - as the HoZ is the best pally sheild - surely an IST socketed in it makes a good shield into the perfect mf hmrdin sheild.

As for the TC - again the better gear i am wearing (res/fcr/vitality) then the faster i am going to be able to clear the higher TC areas. And if IST'ing a main leveling item helps me gain extra mf with no loss to speed/safety then i have to assume thats the right course to take.

8. memememe173

1. um p diamond whatever

2. didnt know your resist situation

3. If it's not goona hurt you then Ist it

4. Ist Wiz spike is 5 more mf :)

9. UselessOne

It just seems to me that there is a better uses for an Ist rune-one being Enigma. This would also allow you to do Meph runs with your hammerdin. Most people, if they had only one Ist rune and had the choice of socketing a shield with an Ist or making Enigma, would not hesitate to make and use Enigma even though it would have less MF than Skullders. If I had one Skullders and one Enigma, I would put Skullders on a Sorc and Enigma on a pallly to make the items as useful as possible.

Of course, all my arguments are a moot point if you already have Enigmas, Skullders and lots of Ist runes lying around.

10. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

yea i meant for killin bosses..

11. memememe173

Wouldn't Ist have to be required in Enigma for this to make any sense?

12. Shanksie1337

agreed enigma = JahIthBer - and i have no wear near the wealth to get both Jah and Ber.

As for IST'ing the wizardspike - that comes next i feel, as i planned on using an ali baba on switch, but this annoyingly switches sheild too (unless i am a noob and haven't discovered how to switch just weapon or sheild, NOT both).

13. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Just get a high (35-45%) resist all 2 socketed paladin shield and make rhyme runeword, and voilá, you will have a nice 60-70% resist all shield on weapon switch with 25% more mf, cannot be frozen, good block, and 50% extra gold... it is the best shield for weapon switch mf.

UselessOne: even without enigma you can do Meph mf runs, and yes it takes usually 2-3minutes, it is really that easy... just remember to quaff superhealing potions everytime your life goes below 50%, with 3 rows of superpots and 1 of supermana pots a hammerdinn is more than set....

14. chump2

chump2 IncGamers Member

Don't waste the Ist

Well, if you have an Ist, you're not poor. Regardless, instead of alibaba, use a gull dagger. Then socket it with a crappy mf jewel (like 7-10%). Then you get close to ist alilbaba depending on your level. Then you can use the ist for something a lot better. Ist is worth quite a lot, so don't waste it if you just have one.

15. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

Imho, I think that one of the best mf shield remains a ryhme rune word. It provides plenty of good mods, namely CBF et 25 % mf. Done in an elite pally shield with good inherent resistance you can get resistances as high as those of the HoZ. Sure, HoZ increase you damage by much. It all depends I guess on you need for damage. Ist'ed HoZ is certainly not a bad option, I think that efficiency is more important than mf when you reach a certain amount. Having 300-400 % is plenty enough.

16. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

I have to agree on the rhyme part. A +45% all resist 2 sock sacred targe or so makes a really really nice mf shield.

17. UselessOne

I actually don't have an Enigma or an Ist rune for that matter. I was just assuming that Shanksie1337 was fairly well off item wise since he has an Ist, and an HoZ, which are items I would love to have.

In fact I don't think my MF characters have more than 300 MF anyways and I'm not complaining too much about them-they are good enough to do the job.

18. Antiochous_3

Antiochous_3 IncGamers Member

I personally have never seen why people would "waste" runes in this manner. I consider myself fairly rich. I have just about every item in the game and 2 or more of all the runes ,but i would never ist a wiz spike or a hoz. I jsut don't see the point. The only thing a ist Hoz or wiz spike allows you to do is have more mf when u are lvling or on the way down to the boss you are going to kill. The only time that i am really worried about how much mf i have is when im killing the boss, and at that time i switch to my mf shield and wep.

All i know is if i only had one ist i would use it in a baba, or in a rune word that i needed and deffinatly not put it into a wiz spike. Besides, i think it is always good to think about resale value if u ever decide that u dont need an item, and a ist wiz spike is gonna be worth much less than the ist and wizzy seperatly.

19. sexyfool

sexyfool IncGamers Member

Hehehe I wish to be wealthy enough to one day waste an ist in hoz. Meanwhile I mf with hammerdin and bo baba on 2 comps. There is no such thing as too much res and w switch to ali/rhyme combo instantly adds 107 mf ( pal is 82 atm ). 2 ists in ali is usable and if u p diamond your hoz u have enough res to keep goldwrap/nagels/chances without danger of dying to the odd nasty combo.

My vote...never ist a shield unless you have em growing on trees. Ist is still great trade item in hcl.

20. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Why would you ist a baba but not a wizspike? Wizspike has much better mods and it seems like you don't mf much. Besides ist isn't worth too much nowadays anyway(at least on non ladder). There worth like 2-4 ums.