Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best sheild; ss, sanc, other?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by tankunit, May 27, 2008.

1. tankunit

tankunit IncGamers Member

Best sheild; ss, sanc, other?

Ok, im wondering what the best primary sheild is on my mf sorc; shes a blizz sorc with

Head - Shako
    Body - Tals Armor
    Amy - Tals Amy
    Wep/Sheild 1 - Hoto/<the reason for this thread>
    Wep/Sheild 2 - 180MFcs/100MFmonarch
    Glove - Chancies
    Boots - Wartravs
    Belt - Tals Belt
    Rings - Nagels

Altogether I have about 700MF which from what im told can actually be too much because of sacrificing dmg, but what im really concerned about is my sheild; i dont even have one. My current debate is an umedSS vs Sanc <for res> unless someone else can bring up a good alternative. Im looking at SS because i have the str to wear it <156 for the monarch:cry:> and with it umed it would have some dec resists plus the 35%DR. On the other hand i could go with a Sanc and have nice res all around but no DR and possibly less CTB. Another thing thats bothering me; pending my stats witah the shield, should i attemp max CTB? I can get their if i really want to with stat points, rf and other dex mods but is it worth it? I have a Zon with max block and high D/A/E and she almost doesnt get touched; Ive left her in the middle of mass enemies and she almost doesnt get touched wearing and umedSS. So would it be worth it for my Sorc as well?

Also, it should be noted that i plan on replacing my Nagels for SOJ/RF combo for plus skill, mana, dex, and CBF, and my Chancies for Frosties for mana or Magefist for fcr. Any comments on this would be welcome as well.

2. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Re: Best sheild; ss, sanc, other?

If you want max block, then the SS isn't a bad idea, alternatively you could use a Mosers for less dex investment. Max block isn't necessarily a great idea though (certainly not worth it with Spirit), since as a ranged caster you shouldn't be receiving all that much damage. If you've got the points spare then just get your Strength up to 156 and wear a Spirit. Those points spent in Vitality won't get you much extra life (2 per stat point), and you gain some back by using Spirit so the loss isn't as big as you'd think. The added +skills, FCR, resists and other nice adds for Spirit should be much more important to you than what you get from SS.

I'd advise sacrificing some MF somewhere to hit at least the 63 FCR breakpoint for faster tele - you'd actually be better off at 105FCR if you can, as you'll be teleporting much more quickly and consequently getting more drops. Remember the diminishing returns with MF.

3. tankunit

Thank you for your input as i didnt even look at spirit which is actually a good choice for me because of the 2 to skill, Vit, and FHR which i really need <if you read my post again you would see that i already have 156+ str> . The only thing is is that its lacking a bit for the res as i could max out cold, get hit lightning and 22f/p res with the SS, plus the 35DR which would help when my tele gets interrupted. And with Sanc i could feasibly get plus 70 to all res which in would give me a nice res boost overall.

Also, note that a believe i have hit the 63FCR bp, but not the 105 which i might go for with my change in equips. Also, you suggest sacrificing MF, but for what? Other than what ive already mentioned?

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Full Tal's is an excellent example of sacrificing MF for killspeed. I won't delve much into this topic, use the search function to find out exactly how awesome it is.

Also, your MF switch baffles me. Why waste 10 Ist's (5 HR's) on a Magic-Finding sorceress that is supposed to earn you wealth? I'd personally go with the much-cheaper but almost-as-effective Gull Dagger + Rhyme Shield setup. 125% MF is certainly not 280, but after diminishing returns, the difference is almost negligible, and all for 1/200th of the price of 10 Ist's.

5. tankunit

I believe the old saying goes, you have to spend money to make money, and as far as full tals, ill look into that thank you.

6. Krovvy

Krovvy IncGamers Member

Read some of the threads I've created on this topic, they should help out! Though Blizzard isn't the best high end build, it's actually kind of weak in my opinion. I'd either go for a full lightning Sorceress or a duel tree Blizzballer or something if you're not at the point you can afford a lightning one.

7. tankunit

Well, tbh i dont know much about about Sorcs and i took advice from my friend because he primarily used sorcs since .09 so i took his mf advice. Cant change my build cuz im already 77 lol with all points in blizz synergies.

8. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

2nd that, but as 'damage' is already done, how to use that mf switch whole time, to make at least some use of it.

Blizzard sorcs are quite good area runners only in AT (ancient tunnel, hatch in lost city) and River part (act4) when there are no cold immunes.

So keep almost all mf, make strong merc with even more mf and lets him do at least some killing while blizzing. Act 2 holy freeze/might merc with reapers Toll (eth or not) with shael/ias jool, shako(ias jool), Tal Armor (ias jool). Merc needs 45ias for 6fpa jab.

You don't need any resist in those places, try to get 105fcr (wizpike?+Spirit shield 35, +20from tal set) to tele fast to AT. Both are TC85 areas (so all items can drop in both places), and Blizz sorc can clear both easily even in full games. You lvl fast too in those areas, so merc survive/kill faster later on.

At end of day, solo kill pindle fast, until Bnet kicks you out, takes usually around 10-20 games.

9. tankunit

Bnet boots me very quickly for some odd reason; after three in and outs im usuallly done if i do it under 5 mins.

Hows this for Equips:

Head - Shako
    Body - Skullders
    Amy - Maras
    Wep/Sheild 1 - Hoto/Spirit
    Wep/Sheild 2 - 180MFcs/100MFmonarch
    Glove - Magefist
    Boots - Wartravs
    Belt - Arach
    Rings - Soj/Rf

With this ill have more dmg,atleast 105FCR depending on the Spirit I get, and about 500MF

Btw, whats a 35% spirit monarch worth anyway?

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  10. ProfessionalBerg

The price for a 35% FCR Spirit Monarch varies greatly on where you are playing. On EUSCL, a non-superior 35 FCR spirit costs ~pul, IIRC.

About the temp bans - that's how it works: 3 games in under 5 minutes, or 20 games in under 1 hour, and you get da big stinky boot.

You don't need Ravenfrost since you will be teleporting, not running. Get a nagel or something.

Switch the Skullder for Tal Armor, and generally, if you don't want to use Full Tal's ( :sad: ), at least utilize partial Tal's (Amulet + Armor + Belt) to it's fullest - massive MF, +skills, resists. You need resists.

Like this, you achieve the 105 FCR BP: 40 (HotO) + 35 (Spirit) + 20 (Magefist) + 20 (Partial Tal's) = 115 FCR. See? You don't even need a 35 FCR spirit for this. Thus, you can get one for pgems.

11. tankunit

Im on east-us nl so its significantly more than a pul lol. Like i said with the above set up, id have 500+ MF which should be more than enough. The RF would be for the dex for block and CBF. The Arach, will give me FCR and +to skill, Maras, will be better than Tal amy cuz of all res, and skullders will have decent MF with Ptopaz.

Btw, tals <armor, amy, belt> gives 10% FCR as eqiup bonus not 20.

12. ProfessionalBerg

1. Tal armor provides +10% when wearing 2 items, Tal belt provides +10% when wearing 3 items.

2. If you have enough MF, why the hell are you using Skullder's? It's only good points are the MF and the +1 skill. I'd choose the Tal Armor over it any day. And if you have the wealth, a COH is even better.

3. Don't forget that Tal's Belt has +20 Dex.

4. Combining the 3 pieces will provide you with: 40 Cold and Fire, and 73 Lightning Resist. No Poison resist, but who cares about poison? That's alot better than the Mara's + Skullder + Arach, which provides 20-30 Cold/Fire/Lightning/Poison resist. IMHO, Light resist >> other resists.

5. The Arach provides +1 skills, but you are a blizz sorc, you already have enough +skills to make you powerful, especially considering you are not dual-elemental.

6. Sad to hear you are on NL, but I bet you can still buy a lowish FCR spirit for not very much. After all, you don't need more than 25 FCR in both Arach and Tal Set setups.

13. tankunit

Oh i see; I didnt realize that the green was per piece.

I think ill just keep what im wearing now <first post> And add in a phoenix as it will be overall cheaper and having a shield will help my sorc alot.