Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Share/Freeware or Browser Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Best Share/Freeware or Browser Games

I'm wondering what you think the best "free" games are. By free I mean freeware, shareware (full versions and limited), browser-based games (both full and limited) and all the new MMOGs that are coming out (free and limited).

I certainly havn't looked too hard so there are bound to be some gems out there, but these are what I consider to be damn good games:

Escape Velocity
    Escape Velocity: Override
    Escape Velocity: Nova

A great series of shareware games with considerable free playtime. The full versions of all are fantastic open-ended space RPGs with lots of user-made mods (some mods are stupid). EVN is my pick for the best shareware game currently available. When EVN was released the graphics rivalled, even surpassed, some commercial games. It's the kind of game where you can be a simple trader, a bounty hunter, a military leader, or a galactic conqueror and it's all up to you. It has about 5 different mission strings but once you have done one (you don't have to do any, but it helps) you can do whatever you like.

Avernum
    Avernum 2
    Avernum 3
    Blades of Avernum
    Avernum 4

The Avernum series is an update of a popular Mac series called Exile. They are true RPGs in that there are about 24 Traits to put skill points into and a further dozen you can unlock, so no character is ever the same and you are not locked into skill sets. The first four are pretty basic graphics-wise in that they are lightly animated icons, but Avernum 4 has much better graphics. Blades is a basically the mod developing toolkit with a few basic scenarios included. None of these are tiny games, either (except Blades) with dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of gameplay. Avernum 3 is also supposedly open-ended but I never got to finish the missions before Avernum 4 came out so I can't comment on the flexibility of that. I do know that if you don't do things, or are late entering new areas, whole towns can be wiped out or built.

Geneforge
    Geneforge 2
    Geneforge 3

Made by the same people as the Avernum series, this is also a RPG but with a twist. You play as a member of a group of people that summon creatures and can have an army of the little buggers follow you around. These aren't as in-depth as Avernum but the graphics are much better and it uses a faction type system where every action you take effects your interaction with NPCs.

Runescape

Meh. That's the game the people from the Blizzard forums are really playing. Points for originality when it came out. Unfortunately it seems to still be the best choice for this kind of game (see below).

PlaneShift

What Runescape should be. Free MMORPG. I havn't had the chance to play this yet because they changed the system specs on me. Commercial quality graphics (personally, I think the graphics are better than WoW). Technically this is still in Beta, but it is supposedly fully working and looks fantastic.

Unification Wars

Browser-based galactic warfare game. No graphics to speak of (aside from the background), this is a surprisingly addictive game. Probably somethjing to do with spending trillions of dollars to buiuld your fleet of over a billion ships only to see it wiped out in three seconds and then find that someone has destroyed or captured 50000 of your planets. I like this game but want to see a graphical version.

I've played a few of these space warfare browser games and this one is the best I have found.

There's also a free game similar to EVE Online that I came across a couple of weeks ago but I didn't meet the system requirements for it, so I didn't bother. I forget what it was called.

Anyone know of other really good games like this?

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I've been getting back into EV: Nova recently. Fun stuff. I bought licenses for the original EV and Override, too, back in the day, and have been playing them for years and years. In Nova there's a plugin that lets you reset a pilot after finishing one of the main mission strings so you can use the same guy to play all of them, rather than restarting for each one.

I was also playing a lot of the original Zelda game on an emulator until about a month ago. Good clean famicom fun.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Too many games, not enough time. I don't even have time for all my current games, let alone new ones. Not to mention the time consumption of online games.

4. Nostavar

Nostavar IncGamers Member

Try www.nexuswar.com

It's quite good, and gets updated all the time.
    The website and wiki describe the game.

5. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Well, my "current" MMO-"RPG"ish game is FlyFF. It's a "free to play"-type game, it has a cash shop, but contrary to some other cash shop games it's really optional --- I currently have a lvl 68 and a lvl 71 character (you can get to about 105 max, as the highest level regular monsters are Lvl 104 Captain Glaphans), and nothing cash-shop related on me (i.e. not even items upgraded to more than +3, although such upgrades can be bought ingame as well since some players sell cash shop stuff for game money).

So, I count FlyFF as "free".

It is, however, a "grinding game". Not as bad as Maplestory, from what I hear (never played MS), but that doesn't change the fact. Currently, my lvl 71 Psykeeper collects quest items from lvl 77 monsters, and gets about 0.08% experience per kill (experience in FlyFF is never shown as absolute numbers, so everyone talks about %), in a full party and with a partner (i.e. optimal exp setup). I could handle slightly higher monsters reasonably well, but I still need those items...

[ I once went to monsters 20 levels ahead of me --- my Psykeeper can attack anything without getting killed, so I just had to try. My damage was so low that I didn't even bother finishing my "test prey" ].

This is a 1vs1 build, though. There's also AoE builds that are able to attack multiple monsters in one go.

FlyFF has 8 "endgame" classes, but classes are organized in a tree for a total of 13 classes: everyone starts as a Vagrant, then changes into one of the 4 "first job"s at lvl 15 (at which time all the stat points are reset, for you distribute them again, so if you want to be a Mage you'll still build your Vagrant as a melee fighter simply because Vagrants don't get spells anyway).

At lvl 60 you get to choose between 2 "2nd jobs" --- like a Mercenary chooses between Knight and Blade. At this point stats are NOT reset, so basically you have to know what you want to be at lvl 15, since usually different 2nd jobs use different stats.

6. Sokar Rostau

I've been playing the EVN total conversion Polycon which is what prompted this thread. If you havn't played Polycon yet you really should check it out. There are some very good improvements like the types, and number of, fighters you can have.

I've also got the Babylon 5 TC for EV:O which I was rather addicted to until I got Nova. the ships in the EVO TC were much, much better than the standard EVO ships... prowling the galaxy in a N'arn Heavy Cruiser or a Whitestar kicks arse. There's a Nova B5 TC in the works too. It looks spectacular but is taking a while to come out.

7. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

8. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

There are games that are free and good that arent on the list.

1.Maplestory:This is a really nicely polished game, although at times its a grindfest but if you have friends its really fun. The best thing about this game is the classes there are 4 classes that can change classes 3 times. Although it takes a long time to level up to change up to the higher classes its worth it because they are cool.

2.Gunbound:This game is like worms you choose a 'mobile' and use the keyboard to choose your angle to shoot. There are lots of mobiles and when you win a game you get money to spend on stuff to make you look cooler.

9. Sokar Rostau

I didn't add a poll because I know there are games out there I've never heard of.

10. Veilside

Veilside IncGamers Member

System Shock 2
    Freespace 2 (best space combat sim ever)
    Blood 2
    PlanetSide

probably a few more.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Admittedly I've only played the first, but I don't see how anything could ever beat TIE Fighter in those stakes.

I really have to remember to get it.

12. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Earth 2025
    Utopia.

13. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I just started playing maple story. Very slow advancement, but fun.

And of course, Kingdom of Loathing for the win.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I loved KoL, but I don't see it as being very re-playable. Obviously many people disagree.