Best runeword for a feral axe?

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Best runeword for a feral axe?

I've done some unofficial comparisons and concluded that all but Passion, Kingslayer and Oath are too high in runes/level to use in a feral axe. Passion only raises it one level (to 43), while Kingslayer - not incredibly superior to Passion - would raise it 11. So between Passion (RLvl43), upgraded ethereal Warlord's Trust (RLvl49) and Oath (RLvl49) which is ideal, or is a feral axe just too low for a MAL?

NefariousNothing

Diabloii.Net Member
Ax2Grind said:
I've done some unofficial comparisons and concluded that all but Passion, Kingslayer and Oath are too high in runes/level to use in a feral axe. Passion only raises it one level (to 43), while Kingslayer - not incredibly superior to Passion - would raise it 11. So between Passion (RLvl43), upgraded ethereal Warlord's Trust (RLvl49) and Oath (RLvl49) which is ideal, or is a feral axe just too low for a MAL?
I've heard of, and seen, Oath feral axes before. Considered making one myself, but I don't really have anything to use it on, unless I decide to remake my fury drood.. What do you plan on using it for?

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
I plan on making space

NefariousNothing said:
I've heard of, and seen, Oath feral axes before. Considered making one myself, but I don't really have anything to use it on, unless I decide to remake my fury drood.. What do you plan on using it for?
I have two feral axes, a +14%ED and a +13%ED/+3AR, and I'm wondering if Passion was the only thing it was good for. If so I'd toss these (or trade them for low uncommon runes) to make space and wait for a +15%ED/+3AR. Now you've made me hang on to them a bit longer... damn you.

MilkmanAl

Diabloii.Net Member
Feral axes are underrated weapons, in my opinion. They're the fastest weapons around (base speed-wise) for weredruids, and they allow you to focus your points on strength since they have no dex requirement.

If you're going to oath one, though, wait for an ethereal one. Gotta love that indestructible mod. :clap:

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
I know, I know

MilkmanAl said:
Feral axes are underrated weapons, in my opinion. They're the fastest weapons around (base speed-wise) for weredruids, and they allow you to focus your points on strength since they have no dex requirement.

If you're going to oath one, though, wait for an ethereal one. Gotta love that indestructible mod. :clap:
While it's true they're one of the fastest two-handers (base speed of -15), and etherealness adds tremendously to a very good enhanced-damage roll, when taking off-weapon ED into account and the fact that Heart of Wolverine benefits your merc, the Iron Golem you can also cast, and any other party members, it's possible to gain much more overall damage from a rechargable non-ethereal runeword.

Besides, I like my ethereal Warlord's Trust feral axe. ;)

NefariousNothing

Diabloii.Net Member
MilkmanAl said:

Mine is ethereal. And 5% superior, to boot. :)

MilkmanAl

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I just did a little research, and it seems that oath champion axes and feral axes both give the same breakpoints for standard werewolf attacks and fury attacks at 8 and 5 frames, respectively (ias cannot increase these further).

Bears with oath feral axes start at 7 frames which can be boosted to 6 frames with 60 ias for standard attacks. Maul works the same way. Champion axes start at 8 frames and go to 7 frames at 10 ias and 6 frames at 80 ias.

All in all, for oath, you're probably better off with a champion axe.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
That's the kind of answer I was looking for

MilkmanAl said:
Well, I just did a little research, and it seems that oath champion axes and feral axes both give the same breakpoints for standard werewolf attacks and fury attacks at 8 and 5 frames, respectively (ias cannot increase these further).

Bears with oath feral axes start at 7 frames which can be boosted to 6 frames with 60 ias for standard attacks. Maul works the same way. Champion axes start at 8 frames and go to 7 frames at 10 ias and 6 frames at 80 ias.

All in all, for oath, you're probably better off with a champion axe.
If speed is irrelevent then it comes down to RLvl, RStr, RDex of the item runed versus its damage. So, with Kingslayer and Oath out of the way (assuming you're going to have the requirements for champion axes) it's definitely Passion or nothing. Time to toss that +14%ED and the +13%ED/+3AR. Anyone have a 15/3? :D

Although, there are other classes that can use feral axes... Where'd you get that info?