Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best PvM paladin?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by barblover, Mar 24, 2004.

1. barblover

barblover IncGamers Member

best PvM paladin?

Hello All
    I am new to making a paladin so here's a question.

Which would be the best PvM paladin?

i'm referring to hell mode

Thanks!

2. fiercex

fiercex IncGamers Member

Many choices are available...pick one depending on your preference of skills and/or available items.

Hammerdin (Concentration+BH+Synergies)
    Frost (HF+Syn)
    Shocker (HS+Syn)
    Veng (Veng+Conv+Syn)
    Fanat (Fanat+Zeal+Sac)

Etc, and don't forget those whacky new builds out there...

3. barblover

barblover IncGamers Member

which of those are superior? :p

btw i'm assuming that zeal and sac are practiced because sac adds dmg to zeal?

so I use zeal as an attack? or sac?

4. Antiochous_3

Antiochous_3 IncGamers Member

For a zealot you will use zeal as your main attack and fanaticism as your aura.

As far as the best pvm build there are many pally builds that excel at pvm. If you do not want to have to worry about monster immunities and want a char tha has the ability to easily handle just about every area of the game and can mf a hammerdin is for you. If you want to do melee and want to hit extreemly fast and do good phys dmg then you should try a zealot. Elemental dmg your cup of tea? Then a Avenger is for you. (Vengance, Conviction) there are many others but i find that those are the main ones.

A couple of important things to mention.
    1. Zealots can be frustrating in hell if you do not have decent gear. (this goes for avengers as well to some extent.)
    2. Some people find hammerdins hard because of the hammer pattern and the inability to target a monster directly.

My personal suggestion for you, as some one new to pallys is somewhat split.

Hammerdin :
    (+) Hammerdins are the least gear dependant (imo, some would disagree) and will allow you to be the most succsessful in hell with out some of the frustrations other pally builds have.
    (-) I do not really think that a Hammerdin represents the pally class very well as a whole and i would hate for you to try it, hate it and thus discared pallys. :(

Frost Zealot: Simmilar to a normal zealot but uses holy freeze instead of fanat as his aura.
    (+) Very fun char to play. Good representation of what the pally has to offer. No real problems even in hell. ( Phys and cold immunes can be handled.)
    (-) Moderatly gear dependant and ... well thats about it. what can i say i love these guys.

No matter what you choose i would suggest reading through some of the wonderful guides here on the forum. They can help give you a idea of what each build would be like as well as gear suggestions and hints.

Best of luck!

Anti

5. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

I am finall yplaying a pally in 1.10 myself and going with the Frost Zealot guide. Finally made it to 45 last night from 25 through some nice quick baal runs. Compared to my werewolf druid the frost zealot is by far easier to play and kills faster. As far as gear dependancies I have been playing untwinked except for a Fleshrender club which i finally got to start using at 38 or 42 I forget which, but when I went to it I was like WOW. Only 20% crushing blow but I was a machine mowing things down in one hit. Hammerdins may be the MF pally, but I don't think they get their best power till the higher levels and can be frustrating to get there. The frostie however was almost no effort whatsoever.

6. AuraAllan

AuraAllan IncGamers Member

Frost pally are just great. They mow down monsters like there was no tomorrow and they are just great fun.

~AuraAllan~

7. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

I'm playing a frost zealot right now with some pretty decent stuff, the only thing that i'm not looking for to is the cold immunes, still dont know how to get rid of those. Someone suggested barnars or lightsabre with conv.

8. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

there no question that hammerdin is the best pvm class over all the other. Right now not even sor can compare to a well equited hammerdin damage and speed. He just owns in every where. Doing arround 10-12k damage in hell well make u a unstopable killing machine

9. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

If you're looking to have fun, do something elemental (Holy Freeze/Shock).

If you're just looking to totally own everything with a insanely overpowered skill and a cookie cutter character, go for the Hammerdin. He has pretty much become, literally, the "best" character in the game... 99.9% of the monsters in the game have no resistance to his massively damaging attack.

Nice to see how many people recommended Frost Zealots!... woo hoo!!! :surprise: How come I never see you guys online? I'm always the only one!

10. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

I'm on nightly on US east non-ladder 8-11 est

11. PallyRanger

PallyRanger IncGamers Member

Make yourself a Ranger. PvM rangers can really kick @ss if made correctly. I have built about a dozen rangers now and am now creating a melee/ranger hybrid that uses sword/shield on switch. You get a ranged attack and then can switch when monsters get too close. Check out the stickied threads on rangers from Raven, they are good reading. I recommend the Storm Ranger, nice killing speed and no problem with immunes.

-PallyRanger

12. Select

Select IncGamers Member

if youre lookin for some real fun...hammerdin/smiter. semi gear dependent but sounds like fun. I havent done it yet myself but its in the works

basically:
    Max hammers
    Max Baim or vigor
    Max conc
    Max HS
    rest into smite...you could probably just put like 10 into smite right off and leave it the rest of the game.

with around 6 plus skills hammers should do about 3-4kish dmg and smite(with a decent shield) should do about 1k-1.5k maybe as far as 2k if you have amazing gear. pretty solid looking build.

13. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Hammerdin is the cookie-cutter build no question.
    I like the look of the Mage paladin, Hammerdin variant with FoH and Holy Bolt. I have never seen anything clean out Act IV in Hell so quickly!

Your playing style with a Hammerdin type is similar to a Bowazon in that you sit there, throw out hammers like crazy, move, etc. You will soon learn where the weaknesses are and compensate for them. I always try and keep a wall to the right and behind me for instance. Once your hammer field is up though nothing survives it. If something does then it is prolly the only monster you cannot damage so let your Merc kill him off while you manoever

I managed to be able to resurrect an old 1.09 Zealot to make him viable in 1.10, he is a little weak in the main skill due to the lack of levels in Sacrifice however his Charge secondary attack is monstrous compared to how it was in 1.09, he is -very- item dependent though. I would definitely build a 1.10 Zealot again.

As I am a fan of multiplayer games a Cleric appeals to me, healing, other beneficial auras plus the ability to "turn" undead, repel them or simply wipe them out very rapidly sounds like fun and you don't really need to concentrate that hard on play. This build is not designed for solo but is a build you could play untwinked very easily and I have never seen a Cleric player that others were not happy to have in their party. If I were to play HC I would definitely play a cleric.