Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best PvM Character?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ks_necro, Mar 18, 2004.

1. ks_necro

ks_necro IncGamers Member

Best PvM Character?

Ok, I've read all the guides, comments, and posts on this forum (well most :lol: ), and I still wonder what character build is best for pvm? Being able to quest someone through all levels of difficulty without any problems should be considered to be good in PvM. I want to start a character for this exact purpose - and not wearing uber leet items. Below is a list of char builds with their disadvantages (from what i see):

1. Conc / ww barb (might be bad in act4 - iron maiden)
    2. wolf / hurricane druid (monster resistance / iron maiden)
    3. trap / melee sins (same as above)
    4. orb/bliz/meteor/cl sorcs (monster resistance)
    5. hammerdin (act2)
    6. summon necro (too slow - purpose for questing character is to do it fast)

Those are the few from the many builds in diablo. Which one would be best to use in PvM? (gear,stats,skills)

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

You would be pretty well off with hammerdin, next to nothing is immune except for bears in act 3, conc/ww barb is pretty item dependant, I would say go with hammerdin or a synergized wind druid, none into wolf.

3. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

I'd say hammerdin is possibly the best PvM character there is. Sorcs don't really feel the hurt of monster resistances...its the immuens that cause problems, but as long as you exploit two skill trees you'll be fine almost all the time. ANd if you're not, well, there's always teleport.

4. Taurgon

Taurgon IncGamers Member

Any character in the game can be played all the way to the Worldstone Keep in Hell. They all have the abilities to be successful. I suggest that you pick one that suits your gameplay style and stick with it. Melee or caster or somewhere in the middle, they are all there. And there are no disadvantages that can't be overcome. It is what makes playing this game fun.

5. Privater

Privater IncGamers Member

Summon necro is pretty fast with 16 skels and 16 mages a nice enigma and a good act2 might merc .
    Each skell gets more than 1k dam and if you cast amplify above this he is much faster than a hammerdin.
    And he has no prob with any monster qand area in a solo game you can easily kill everything in a baal run included baal in not more than 10 min

6. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

I think you're forgetting some of the hybrid. The Assassin kick-trapper is pretty strong with the right equipment. Zons with LF can do pretty well in the game with strong Lightning and Physical attacks, though they are item dependant and not as quick a killers as they used to be. They have valkeries that are pretty strong and KNOCKBACK can make an excellent defensive mod.

If you don't have access to equipment - Hammerdin or Two Element sorceress. But if you do, almost any build can be pretty effective. Enigma armor also grants any character teleport. Pre- 1.10 only Assassins, Barbs and Sorceresses had this type of movement (and Teleport is the best of the "travel" skills). This item alone changes many builds.

Second, there are a lot of very good PvM builds that are good for parties. Pure Orb sorceress or pure blizzard can be very strong. As can pure Meteor/FB.

Also don't forget that a hammerdin, should be very sturdy. Have high Vitality and decent Shield. So they can melee in a pinch, with either Zeal Concentration, or Charge Concentration without changing much in gear or loss of skill points.

7. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

I say hammerdin is best at pvm, quick kills

8. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

summoner necro with enigma and might merc

9. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Oh - this question - again. I love it!

The BEST char is one which gives you most FUN... But you don´t ask for the best one, you surely ask for the most effective, don´t you? :lol:

In this case forget baba. We play v 1.10 - right?

Of all chars on your list I have the best expirience with a hybrid sorc (FB,Meteor/Blizz). I disagree completely with Paladuck. A sorc has a chance to be most universal, fast, effective and secure char in the game - if build is right and well equiped.

I heard a lot of voices affirmating hammardin - never hade one though. My best pally is Zeal/Vengance using ~perfect Demon´s Limb and low resists wand on switch. He is recently pensioner - killing DC is his only duty. Anyway - my best meele fighter ever. Not IM immune though.

Wind druid is most annoying char I have ever hade while my bonemancer is very secure, powerfull and INCREDIBLY boring.

Trapsin (and Tesla pally) is insane effective up to NM. It is a bit hard to make a trap/phisical hybride for Hell though. It is possible but you must play much better than me to enjoy it. :lol:

You never mentioned a zon - it is still possible to make a build (a hybrid again) which is capabel to deal with everything (excluding DC). It can be very fun but - again - in Halls of Destruction in Hell you need really good playing technique.