Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Pvm Build - Poor Gear Only

Discussion in 'Classic' started by crucialTK, May 29, 2008.

1. crucialTK

crucialTK IncGamers Member

Best Pvm Build - Poor Gear Only

What do you think is the best PvM build in D2 using poor gear?
    If you can add the strategy, items, guide, stat/skill distro and reason why; that would be great.

Poor items includes set items and lower level uniques...no rares along the lines of prismatic/+2/double digit stats. SOJ is considered godly (in my book). Mind you guys, this will be a softcore ladder char.

I am sick of getting destroyed in this game, so I just want to destroy the game back :grin:
    I am thinking its a hammerdin from reading the forums.......

2. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

Re: Best Pvm Build - Poor Gear Only

hammerdin, they just need some FR, you can survive without FCR and FHR if you play it safe
    the problem with hammerdins is the fact that you usually make chaos sanctuary runs and many people are trying to grab the items dropped by diablo

3. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

1. hammerdin is obviously the best overall, as we all know. (though it DOES need decent gear to be much more effective, at least, compared to having very poor gear)

2. any character that has huge damage crowd killing spell skills like sorc's using bliz, fireball-metoer (but most monsters have high fire resistant or immune), chain lightning-lightning-nova (though most consider lit the weaker of the three elements, excluding poison). orb too but it has much lower damage. without +skills its damage is very low in/for hell cs.

3. a paladin using holy freeze or holy shock

4. though the truly best poor (actually he can go with NO gear) gear build, i'd have to say is the summoner necro. the summoner necro needs NO gear at all to go from norm act 1 to hell act 4 cs. should NEVER die. so is great for HC play. it is, however, not the fastest character to go through the game but its the safest and cheapest and strongest build. (he only needs another character to help him kill act bosses as they get a huge bonuses against summons)

5. ww barbs are also quite cheap. all u need is any high damage weapon of range 3 or more and mana/life leech. lots of life and/or def and resists. u got a skill (bo) to give u more life and mana. u got a skill (nat res) to giv eu resists if u dont have much from gear.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. tjmothy

tjmothy IncGamers Member

blizzard; I agree, hammerdin requires decent gear to be effective

blizzard does huge damage with just synnergies and sorc gear (irathas, shard, twitch) is relatively cheap

personally I prefer orb so you can max teleport and get away with low mana pool

5. HegemonKhan

ya, i like orb better too, but near the end of the game its damage from skill pts is only about 300 damage (max orb, ice bolt, cold mast) + cold mast effect. this ~300 damage is too low damage to kill or to kill at respectible speed. With +skill gear, orb can get boasted to 400-600 damage, which is great damage and kills nearly as fast as blizard.

this post is about poor gear. if +skill gear is considered poor gear than i also agree orb is much better than bliz. but with out +skill gear, orb damage is too weak. bliz does more damage than orb and without needing any +skill gear which is a much poorer gear build than orb which is what this post is about. but i DID mention orb in my post at the end after i talk about bliz.

6. tjmothy

tjmothy IncGamers Member

Orb+Mastery+Static is more than enough for meph and if you are poor you should be glitching anyway to get better items to build a hammerdin or goldfind barb or whatever.

7. HegemonKhan

thats completely correct. fully agrees.

i was just saying *for hell cs* or areas close to it, to clear it of monsters u need your orb doing more damage from +skill gear as its damage is too low in such high areas without +skill gear.

8. Lorg

Lorg IncGamers Member

Thats got to be hammerdin. He said that common uniques and set items are allowed.

I suggest to go for shard and twich maybe even ward-> very cheap

50 fcr works nice enough even with no other + skills. Maybe magefist and 1 fcr ring with some res to reach 80 fcr breakpoint. After that its realtively ez cruising. 80 fcr and 6500-7000 dmg is good enough (not kicky but good enough). One can always upgrade later. If going for 50 fcr then the build gets even cheaper since you can use any item to boost resistances high enough.
    Anyway i suggest shard twich ward magefist + 1 fcr ring or amulet and hes good to go. Vigorous leveling in CS and he will have better gear in no time. Cheap and effective.

If for plain mfing then Akukamis mempher build around irathas shard and twich works very well...

9. barty

barty IncGamers Member

id have to agree with these guys saying, basically a vit shard hammerdin.
    u can get away with 35-45 base str and base dex with proper gear.
    hammer dmg will be low end but, its like using a machine gun instead of a shotgun, still works :) lorgs right, 50 fcr is enough, at the least for hdin. the next breakpoint ull need either all fcr jewelry or mages +1 fcr ring/ammy. good ideas. id have to agree with hege about summoner being the safest[or close to] build cheap style, but a hdin more effective in cs parties and u wont be banned for all the lag summoners cause, hehe. ww barbs are easy all u need is a decent snap really and some sigs n manalds for a cheap build.
    for gear for your new hdin, starting off, basically is akukamis meph glitcher[very common setup starting out, for me at least, i love resists im from hardcore , and irath/3pd shield is great for lower res in cs, a pallies nightmare at a spawned conviction hell infector :p ]setup but ona pally lol
    full irathas set: glove ammy belt helm = good base resists startin in hell,+25 dex 20 frw, all res bonus, puts u at 85 with stacked res, gg for cs
    shard = 50 fcr[10 all res helps with lower res in cs :p], hits a decent breakpoint for casting hammers, the minimum imo
    30 frw[possibly fhr boots max is 10fhr this patch i think] with 2 resists 30%+ [fire/light for cs imo]
    3 perfect diamond shield = 57 allres [ with irath, 85 res all, pretty decent even with lower res curse]
    some decent jewelry, not really important even with 70 fcr u wont hit next breakpoint, i think its 78, so ud need 80 and ur not getting it with this setup, so look for goood resists, +str , life etc. [or +dex if u opt for no twitch]
    twitch= increased block, +str +dex for shard [with full irath and twitch u can have base dex and use shard, i think u might have to add 1 to dex lol maybe 6.. :)[ or get dex from rings or boots, lots of options here
    or u can get some fhr life resists armor, supplementing ur high res already or life, fhr is important here, one of your only sources for fhr btw is armor in this setup.
    pretty simple and gear is easy enough to get, actually, crucial check your private messages, i sent u one. since u are from arizona like me i dont mind hooking you up,
    can get you most of these items free of charge, so long as u cs me later if i need it :)
    skills placement: 20 vigor, 20 b aim, 20 concentration, 20 blessed hammers, all pre-required skills, maybe one point into redemption[helps in a pinch] or salvation later. i usually pump holy shield, especially if i am going away from twitch at hier lvls, just make sure u have the dex/str req's for shard without twitch.[need 10 str/10 dex from other items] hope this helped dude, add me to ur flist and ill hook u up when i get on, i got a shard/irath 3 pd ,boots etc. for ya already, probly got thew whole setup actually.zz.

10. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

I just started playing after 2+ years, and my account had expired. I created a hammerdin, and after a little playing he's lvl 71. I have really cheap gear. Large shield w/ 3 perfect diamonds, Mahim-Oak, Shard, Bloodfists. Mediocre rares for the rest of the slots. It's manageable, although I'm trying to build up my resists to 75% all. I haven't done any MFing, basically just picked up a lot of gems and Cubed them to offer in trades along with set pieces like Sigon's that dropped along the way. You do a ton of damage with your hammers, so good gear isn't needed. Basically, manage your resists + keep a lot of potions and you're golden.

Oh, and I've managed to go pure-vita. On a budget, cheap as hell, first created character. Uniques / socketed armor / sets are your friends. Ideally I'll end up wearing rare rings + Shard + The Ward + Bladebuckle + Tearhaunch + Magefists + 3*Amethyst Crown + Mahim-Oak + Goldskin, of which only the latter item will be pricy. My resists will be set, all requirements met so I can go pure vita, and all on a very low budget.