Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Polearm for Ac1 def merc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by ffrictionbc, Mar 31, 2004.

1. ffrictionbc

ffrictionbc IncGamers Member

Best Polearm for Ac1 def merc

my meteor/orb sorc is lvl75 , har act 1 merc is also lvl 75 so far i have found the following polearms - which is better for my merc to use? The basic damage (looking at the damage window for my merc) from the Pierre Tombale is much higher - but what about the deadly strike v open wounds etc. My merc handle nm no prob but regularly dies in hell

Pierre Tombale Couant
    Partizan
    Two-Hand Damage: (100-120) To (215-260) (157.5-190 Avg)
    Required Level: 43
    Required Strength: 113
    Required Dexterity: 67
    Durability: 65
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    +160-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 12-20 Damage
    55% Deadly Strike
    +100-200 To Attack Rating (varies)
    +3 To Barbarian Skill Levels
    6% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    30% Faster Hit Recovery

and

The Meat Scraper
    Lochaber Axe
    Two-Hand Damage: (15-18) To (145-174) (80-96 Avg)
    Required Level: 41
    Required Strength: 80
    Durability: 50
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    +150-200% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    50% Chance Of Open Wounds
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    10% Life Stolen Per Hit
    25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
    +3 To Masteries (Barbarian Only)

tks for advice.

2. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

merc

I assume you meant to say act 2.

I personally prefer Reaper's Toll as the Act 2 merc weapon of choice, socketed with Amn. The decrepify really helps to keep him alive.

I also use rockstopper for a helm and shaftstop for armor. I recently put a skullders on him and he seems to dies a bit more...

Level him up a little more. Level 70ish is a bit low for hell. He will do better once he gets higher.

3. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

hihi..mine is also a act2 defiance merc..he uses a Amned Reaper's Toll as well and the leech is v nice..not forgetting the decrepify..helm is a eth Vamp gaze with 19% DR and a upped Shaftstop..this gives him a relatively high 28% LL with 49% damage reduction..i guess if u can find reaper and shaftstop, ur merc can survive much better in hell :thumbsup:

4. ffrictionbc

ffrictionbc IncGamers Member

noobs question re enhanced damage

thks for the info about polearms, if i put a 34% enhanced damage jewel in a socket on my helm will that enhancement aply to spell damage or only to physical damage?

5. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

Most common is reapers, but a tomb would be the best. especially if you get a three socket one. (Amn Mal, Ohm)

I'm using a reqapers in mine right now..just waiting for a tomb.

Storm

6. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

My merc uses a 15% Life Leech Reapers Toll. Why anyone would want to put an Amn into that I wouldn't know. My merc uses Reapers with Shael, Gaze with 15% IAS 30% ED jewel and Duriels Shell with 40% ED jewel. This is almost 25% Life Leech and quite some damage. He rarely dies, and almost exclusively to Oblivious Knights.

As for the Amn, Mal, Ohm in the Tomb Reaver, I find this a bit overkill. The Prevent Monster Heal is mostly worthless because the monsters die quite quickly. The 50% Enhanced Damage is nice alright, but an Amn,Shael,Shael Tomb Reaver has higher damage output IMO because with that you reach the next IAS breakpoint.

7. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

I use reapers, upgraded duriels and an eth steelskull wiht a P.topax in it. And he only dies to IM as well. He tanks baal and meph if I feed him a few red pots.

8. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

i will speak for the 'anyones' here..i think the reason why anyone would put a Amn into reaper's is for the extra 7% leech..all i can say is Chalan is doing a dainty job with his 28% LL.. :yep:

Amns are very easy to come by..at least much easier than ED jewels i suppose..relatively common weapon + VERY common rune = very nice weapon..i think that speaks for itself. :buddies:

9. Stormcryer

I wnet with the Amn Mal Ohm as the Tomb has everything else in it's corner, and when hitting the really nasty act bosses, (DC included) the PMH helps speed up the killing as does the ED and leech helps keep teh merc alive.

Other combos would be the Amn Shael Shael, or for those MFers, Ist Ist Ist.

I just wanted some extra kick as I'm using and Archmage that has some reduced killing due to teh three tree approach.

10. bigp399

bigp399 IncGamers Member

If you don't have any of these items, I reccommend you just pick up all the elite polarm/spears you find, and look for one that is cruel. Or if it's a rare just look for over 200% ed on it. Or look for one that is ethereal and has pretty good ed on it. You basically want anything that has 250 or more average damage, then you can just stick an amn in it and put something like a tal rashas helm (10%lll and other mods) on your merc and he will do pretty will as far as living. Of course the better the weapon, the better his chances are, and indeed a Tomb Reaver will also help his resistances out a nice bit, in addition to providing you with a little Returned monster to help out. Granted, he won't really be doing any damage, but he will live long enough to distract the bad guys away from you. But until you get one of those, just fight around in hell and be sure to check out any elite polearms and spears that drop, you will eventualyl find something good, I used a rare Stygian Pike for a long while, did 111-473 damage and I amn'd it, and my merc basically never died except for that delightfully unfair business with iron maiden.

11. xib

xib IncGamers Member

really should put shaft+gaze on your merc /w an um in one of them.

50% damage reduction plus near max resists makes him tough as nails.

im not ladder so mine uses bonehew /w 2x amn, shaft /w 15 ias, and 08gaze /w um.

hes 89 now, 2050 health, 71% resist in hell, 8k defense, 22% life leech, 55% damage reduction, 2k dmg fast.

iron maiden is the only thing that i ever have to worry about.

even in hell cows, he has to be surrounded to the point you cant see him anymore before his life will even move down, and even then he leeches it right back lol, i love it.

curses are the only thing that can hurt him.

12. ReZ The Profound

ReZ The Profound IncGamers Member

My merc is a lvl 90 Defaince merc.

Glad Bane (Cannot Be Frozen + Poison Length Shortened) (37ed)
    Tals Mask (+Res To all + Life and Leech) (Um)
    Eth Near Perfect Ariocs (Amn)

He barely ever gets his let alone dies :).

13. Stormcryer

Mine's currently lvl 84

What I've got on my right now is Reapers, Corpsemourn, and peasant crown. Life leech is definately not an issues and his res is 75 across the board. What's gonna be even nicer is teh fact that i mfed an eth glad bane that is just waiting for him to lvl up to 85 (+1900 def... gotta love it)

I have two extra reapers that I found on my last two runs, and a spire as well. That spire is tempting 365 poison over 10 hmmmmmmm

Storm

14. Stiertje

Try some Baalruns alone with a single element sorc and you'll see why I use a Duriels Shell. The Cannot Be Frozen is invaluable here, because being frozen AND being Decrepified really hurts a merc.

15. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

I have a question for you, If I put a shael in the reapers, and he's wearing a Steelclash with 10 IAS, then can I put an ED jewel in the duriels, or does that 30 IAS not reach the breakpoint? Do I need the 35 like yours?

16. Stiertje

The attack breakpoints are;

0% - 7.5 fps
    8% - 7 fps
    22% - 6.5 fps
    44% - 6 fps
    75% - 5.5 fps

This means that your setup (30%) is essentially the same as mine (35%) in terms of attack speed. I could go one breakpoint further with another 15% IAS jewel too, and so can you. Mine would be 50% and yours 45%, meaning a 6 fps attack speed.

17. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

thanks guys.

So I went with re-socketing my eth steelclash with a 15 IAS jewel so it's got my 25% IAS, then I put a 30 ED + 40ED to demons jewel int he reapers and another 30 ED + random mods jewel in the shell. He's a little faster and doing 500 more dmg, looking good.