Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best poison head

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Xylx, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Xylx

Xylx IncGamers Member

best poison head

Hi all

I'm thinking about making a poison necro, and am wondering what the best head would be. As far as I understand from the prefix/suffix list, rare heads can not spawn with 2 sockets.

So this would be my choise:
    Magic head with prefix 'venomous' and +3 to poison nova, add 2 sockets with the quest, then put in 2 facets. There aren't any suffixes worth mentioning. Of course, +3 to lower resist would be an extremely nice extra. Since all normal/exceptional/elite heads can have 2 sockets, it doesn't matter much what kind of head you have.

Any comments?

Greetings,
    Xylx

2. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

Magic / Rare necro heads can be really good, but using them gives you a really low chance to block ( or then you end up with a huge dex ).

The block factor depends, of course, on your play style, and whether or not you use minions / revives as meatshields.

If you found a shrunken head with the suffix "of deflecting", you could however have a chance to block of around 50%.

"Venomous Demon head/Hierophant Trophy / Bloodlord Skull Of Deflecting with +3 to your choice of skill would be pretty good, imo, but it would also be quite hard to find one :p

3. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

that would be a very nice head indeed.

a far cheaper, and perhaps better shield would be trang's sheild, in combination with the gloves and belt. When wearing 2 other trang pieces (glove + belt) the trang shield gives -25% to enemy poison resistances... not as much damage as the venomous faceted one, but quite a bit more -res.

the 3 item bonus will also giev you 30% mana regen, 40% cold res and lvl 18 fireball as well as the aewsome mods found on the belt (life, mana, CBF) and gloves (fcr, cold res, +25% poison skill dmg, etc).

Either way can be a good decision. if you're pretty rich, and jsut want to try the venomous faceted shield to be different, go ahead. if not, stick with trang's.

--fatty

4. Xylx

Xylx IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies :)

One more question:
    How well does the combination of poison nova + skeleton mages work? I'll be using lower resist all the time, and I could spend the rest of my skillpoints in skel mastery and mages ...

5. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

Mages could work quite well with poison nova, although i have never
    tried a necro with both strong poison and summons..

On level 90 something, depending on your equipment, you COULD have around 10 pretty strong mages.. but they wouldn't survive without you helping them.

I think this build is called "the Lord of Mages", or something like that (correct me if im wrong)

The only problem you might face is the fact that they would die quite easily, but this could perhaps be avoided with good use of bone wall / prison to trap your enemies.. and piss off everyone else during baal runs :D

6. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Hmmm... I think the mages are a bit weak and don't tank very well. Although the Lower Resist is what you want to use for your poison they often don't live long enough to deal much damage unless you have some good tanks to hold back the mellee monsters that charge you. A better combination is skellies with Poison Nova and then you can use either Lower Resist to support your poison attacks or Amp Damage for the skellies and your Merc... and both curses support the CE you can use to finish off the battle. A Poisonmancer will need some way of dealing with poison immunes in Hell and revives or skellies offer an alternative type of damage and good meatshields.

7. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

Seriously, I do not think that mages could handle hell on their own. For them to be effective, they need their cousins (the warriors).

My strongest support, is in a full poison build, max warrior / 1 gumby - mastery - summon res / rest into skel mastery.

I posted a pretty good "guide" on it yesterday for someone. let me see if i can find it.

edit: Found the thread. It's not a blocker venomancer, but I think this may work really well for you. Click HERE

g

8. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Another option that hasn't been mentioned: find a two-socketed non-magic head with the skills you want, and make Rhyme. Adds 25% to block, and other tasty mods (resists, MF, block rate, can't be frozen...).

9. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Best head would be Trang's with 2 other parts to the set. Though, what you are trying to do would work..though might not be as well.

HoS