Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best places to level from 77 and up?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by DJBod, Sep 8, 2006.

1. DJBod

DJBod IncGamers Member

Best places to level from 77 and up?

Not really a noob question, but I couldn't think of where else to put this...

I'm a level 77 sorc and I am getting absolutely pummelled in hell. I can do countess runs and summoner runs, and that's about it. Andy rails me and my merc (need to up merc equipment, I think), and I'm not even going to try Travincal or mephy.

If I'm playing by myself, where should I go to kill stuff and get good xp?

2. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

I would continue the Countess and Summoner runs. You have a chance to find the Keys of Terror and Hate, tradables, and maybe a rune or two and you do get some experience. The only way to increase you experience is to find games with other people. There you want to do Chaos and Baal. Or you can get an Annilihus charm or Ondel's staff. Both have +% to exp. mods on them. Of course getting the Charm is not easy at all!

3. DJBod

DJBod IncGamers Member

About what would an annihilus charm cost me? Do I have a lot of work to do get one?

Side thought... maybe my equipment is lacking... what do you think?
    Tal's set (most of the items are on the low end, though)
    Spirit monarch
    Silkweaves
    Up'd Chance Guards
    Crappy rings (I don't even think they're worth mentioning)

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

sorc torches are cheaper than annis, if your low on res get a low stat/high res one

as for lvling, play wherever you dont die
    hell andy is tough if you dont have poison res maxed
    id avoid baal runs, strays often kill sorcs fast
    try nm cows, then solo nm baal/nih/shenk, they give good exp and drops

it might be time to split up your tal set
    if your cold get fatham, snowclash and nightwing
    not sure on good fire/light gear other than ormus robe

trang gloves are nice for sorcs too, cold res and 20%fcr

5. Klæmint Vágadal

Klæmint Vágadal IncGamers Member

8 Player Baal runs are effective.

If you plan on doing some serious MF with this sorc, get dual Nagles and a pair of War Traveler, or a rare pair with RES/MF/+Other mods, not hard to come buy. Altso sock a PTopaz in the armor and helm.

But when I made my BlizzBaller, I thought she SUCKED, but later I found out that it was only me:laugh: Now she and I can go anywhere we wan't to go:thumbsup: I suggest doing Pit runs for experience (For youre own sake that is) and when that gets boring, go to WSK.

As for merc, I would suggest a Eth Thresher "Obedience", Andy's Visage "Ral" and a Shaftstop, with a ED jewel or anything other youre merc needs.

6. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

Your equipment looks good to me. Don't listen to naysayers about Tal's set it is a great set.

We need to find out a coule of things to start to help you.

1) What kind of sorceress are you? (ie what are your main spells?)

2) What kind of mercenary are you using, and what is his equipment?

3) Are you doing full clears to get experience or just teleporting to the bosses and killing them?

Here is a guide that tells you where you will get the best experience.
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=512

7. DJBod

DJBod IncGamers Member

Thanks all for your help already.

To answer your questions.

1. Cl/Orb (Unoriginal, i know)
    2. Act 2 (Nightmare) Merc with Holy Freeze
    His Equipment as of right now:
    'Insight' Voulge (first 4os polearm I could get)
    Atma's Wail (Found a 4os etheral wire fleece yesterday, and I'm one Lo rune away from making this a Fortitude)
    Crown of Thieves. :rolleyes: (Best thing I have other than the shako I'm looking to trade)
    3. Countess: Usually I teleport to level 4 and go from there (I have had great luck finding runes on Level 4)
    Summoner: Teleport right to kill him. [whenever i try to do a full clear, I always seem to spawn a baddie I can't kill (immunities to Lightning and Cold)]

And according to that link, I should be in Act 1 Hell until about 81. So I guess I'm in the right place.

8. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

I have to be honest, I can't see why you are having problems. I finished the game very easily last ladder with a full Tal's set (FB/Orb) sorceress with no torch or anni. I was level 81 when I finished and didn't reach level 77 until act 5. Unless you have resist problems, you shouldn't be dying at all unless you are charging ahead recklessly.

9. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

Have you looked at the CL/FO guide in the sorceress library for tips?
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=427018

I recommend going back to normal and buying a normal defensive merc. He uses the defiance aura and is the best tank in the game IMHO. Plus you will have 6K or so defense yourself.

Your merc has no resists. A good cheap setup besides his insight is Duriels' Shell (resists, cannot be frozen) and Vampire gaze (leech/damage reduction.) The Crown of Thieves should work though. Cannot be frozen makes a big difference in a merc's survivability.

There are no normal lightning immunes in the arcane sanctuary so you should be able to do full clears when you get your merc up to par so he can hold the front line. That will help you level and you'll find some stuff too. Since the monsters are all lined up in a row there you may want to use lightning a lot rather than chain lightning. See what works the best for you there.

10. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I have to retiterrate:

1) resists for you and the merc

Fire/light is most important unless you are facing Andy when poison is required. And make sure you have some cold resists in Act 5 or you will get frelled.

Assess your gear on its merits, not because it's unique/set and you have had it for a while.

2) Are you hitting the fcr breakpoints? 63/105 for fire/cold ?117 for CL

Other than that, you can do fine without brilliant gear; you just need to adapt your playstyle to take it into account. Split monsters up and take them out; don't rush into a melee.

I think you have mis-read the strategy compendium level up guide (or I have) I read it that :
    Act 1 until level 73 | Act 2 until level 81

Go check; it will make a big difference.

11. DJBod

DJBod IncGamers Member

yeah, I did misread it... all the pretty colors confused me, i think. :wink3:

And I joined a couple WSK runs, and helped my friend with his chaos runs (i hit the seals while he threw his hammers) and got good experience.

I actually made it all the way through an arcane sanctuary run without any problems... so I think I might have just been trying to do everything too fast... Slowing down a bit helped out a lot.

and when i last checked my resistances, i found out why andariel beats the crap out of me... 24 poison resistance. boo.

But since my compy won't start up anymore (I'm at work, before you ask how I'm typing this) I doubt I'll be able to work on my chars anytime soon.

12. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Chug a few andidote potions before you fight her. They raise your poison resists and max poison resists temporarily.

13. royalhu

royalhu IncGamers Member

lol my posion resist is -34% and I beat the crap out of andariel... I don't even have to use potions to survive... only life tap :)