Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best place to hunt preserved heads

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by kaervek, Jul 5, 2010.

1. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

best place to hunt preserved heads

since they have a qlvl of 4, does that mean i need to be killing stuff of at least level 4? also do low quality versions have a lower qlvl? or does the TC these drop out of mean i have to hunt something a bit higher level.

Specifically I'm hunting for a preserved head with +3 RS and +3SM.

Now also, the staffmod part of generation says it has a 20% chance to pick a skill at the next tier up, that being a level 6 skill if the ilvl is 1-11. If though I pick up an item that is ilvl 4-5, does that mean it cannot have a level 6 skill on it?

2. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Re: best place to hunt preserved heads

Run tombs.........Pretty good chance of getting them and lots of monsters.........Do alot of helping with tomb runs with a Dreamer.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

An item's base qlvl (not to be confused with the qlvl of unique and set items) decides about the TC (which is TC6, or more precisely, armo6) and it influences the affix level calculation, but that's irrelevant for staffmods because staffmod tier selection only depends on the ilvl (the base tier is 1 at at ilvl 1-11). Therefore it would be best to look for L1-11 monsters which can drop from TC6. Check that with ATMA.

If the item level is too high, you will not get a bonus from tier 1, but you will need a higher affix level to get +2 or +3 to summon skills. That can be achieved with items which have a high base qlvl. Unfortunately they only drop in high-level areas which brings you back to the beginning of the problem. The solution out of this dilemma is the 6 pskulls recipe. If you use it repeatedly on the same item with a L1 character, it will produce ilvl 1 items. It only works with rares, however.

You cannot produce magic items that way (so +3 to a skill tree isn't possible together with +3RS/SM), the 3 gems recipes produce items with a too high ilvl.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. Victus

Victus IncGamers Member

For a normal or grey one - run the weapon rack in Tower lvl5 (normal). Try to get stable preserved head drop.
    For a rare one you should use succubus skull or bloodlord skull with the 6perf skull recipe and lvl1 character. Only with these two heads you can get +2skills and +3SM +3RS.

Imbue quest is an option too. The bad thing here is that the min lvl to use it is clvl8. The ilvl=clvl+4 so the minimum here is ilvl=8+4=12. The highest chance for 1st tier skills (which are SM and RS) is for ilvl from 1 to 11. If u decide to try it use succubus or bloodlord skull with lvl8 character.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  5. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Not sure what quality of shield you are after, I'd guess a white/grey with 2 sockets for a Splendor?

Anyway, you could try the 'repair' recipe, "1 El Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Armor = Normal Quality Armor of same type". I assume this works with Necro Shields, and all ilvl 1 necro shields can get 2 sockets, so may be worth picking up all the cracked shields you find and giving it a try.

I'm not sure how the staffmods are generated though, whether you need a low qlvl shield for the RS/SM to spawn, or whether it is dependant on ilvl alone.

If someone knows how these staff mods spawn speak up!

6. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

^^

Out of the 20 preserved heads i picked up on a run through A1, 17 were low quality! I didnt even find one EL rune including countess.

Seems i need to figure out a good way to get EL runes as well heh. I think its all good so long as monster is L11 or lower since i *thought* teir 2 staffmods started at L6 but its not till 12 so all good.

Come to think of it, I havent seen an El rune in quite a while. Has the new rune drop formula caused them to become a lot more uncommon?

On the staffmod side of things in a nutshell (assuming monster lvl1-11):

30% chance no skills, 40% 1 skill, 20% 2 skills, 10% 3 skills
    60% +1 skill, 30% +2 skill, 10% +3 skill
    80% chance of being teir1, 20% chance being teir 2.

And yep splendor is the endgoal. Once i have that shield i'll start taking on the more ambitious goal of getting +2skills/summon and +3 RS/SM elite skull.

Imbues have much worse odds of getting tier 1 skills, but they do get a slight bonus to the amount of skills/level of skill. if your using a succubus skull for example you get ilvl(+81) to the amount of skill rolls (so guaranteed 2 skills at least) and ilvl/2 to the level of the skill roll.

Besides that, you only want one head for rerolling so might as well imbue any others you pick up given how rare they are.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I guess that will cost you thousands of pskulls. First, the items must have staffmods at all (half of the time they have none), then is have to be at least two, then two of them have to be RS and SM, then both have to be +3, then you have to roll up +2 summoning. On top of that you might want to have 2 sockets, +blocking, +str, +life and the like.

BTW, I fixed my posting above regarding ilvls for the base tier being 1, but it seems you found it out yourself :azn:

Also, don't forget that in normal mode, the monster level is not replaced by the area level!

8. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

The later part is very much about the journey rather than the end, I did manage to get +2 raise skeleton on an elite shield last season tho :)

I narrowed it down to two main areas, Trist or countess. In both areas the monsters can drop preserved heads, in Trist griswald has a very high chance whereas the countess is probably the best source of EL runes + you get a lot of Rals. Depending how fast you go you may be best to do both to avoid temp bans.

Initially I cleared from stony field to outer cloister, but after 2 runs my entire inventory was full of cracked heads so figured I should just focus on countess. Holy shock pally works great for this task, lvl 30 kills stuff far enough off screen that you dont need to hang around waiting for a pulse and it one shots everything.

9. Victus

Victus IncGamers Member

The bonus is really slight because you have to use lvl8 character in order to keep the ilvl low. (ilvl=clvl+4 on imbue quest)
    Succubus and bloodlord skull are needed to get high affixlvl on the outcome item so +2skills to be available.
    Imbue is an option but a bad one for your case. IMO six perfskull recipe is the one that you should use and keep the imbue quest for diadems for example.

10. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

oh right, wasnt sure if it used base ilvl or ilvl=qlvl for that part. Now only thing left to do is figure out if theres a better option than countess for EL runes. Apparently its on its own in TC r01, but im going in circles a bit to find what monsters drop it. ilvl=11 so at least that high buuuut beyond that im not sure.

*edit* after a bit of poking around i found that the minimum rune any normal mob can drop is nef, which is pretty much anything in A2. No normal mob/chest in A1 drops runes apparently. Still best bet for El's is countess then since the heads dropped will be the right level.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  11. D jr

D jr IncGamers Member

I would try to join games where there are as many players as possible for a lower "no drop" chance. Then you run area's like tristram etc and have tons of stuff dropping form monsters.

A good way to lure players into your game is to make cow games. Create "i open cows" or something and make the portal. As long as you are not partied to the other players they can kill the king and you still be able to open the cow game. You'll have some time before they finish cows and can run the lower areas while profiting from lower no drop

Last ladder i made a vlld sacrifice necro so i was looking for +3 bonearmor heads. I saved this one i found to make a splendor out of it later.

[​IMG]

12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

In SP you can get a +6 RS head by doing some time travel. 1.07 3pg recipe would set ilvl to 1 (that's why GC rerolls are a REALLY bad idea). Just find a Bloodlord Skull rack, rack a magic one, reroll it once, bring it to 1.09+ and reroll it until you get golemlord's with +3RS/SM/CE ;)

Would still take tremendous luck...

13. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

ok so i figured the next part for me to investigate is what causes 90% of the heads i pick up to be low quality, and I need some help understanding this one.

1) Find proper line in itemratio.txt.
    2) Chance = (BaseChance - ((ilvl-qlvl)/Divisor)) * 128
    3) if (we check for unique, set or rare quality) EffectiveMF=MF*Factor/(MF+Factor) else EffectiveMF=MF
    4) Chance= Chance* 100/(100+ EffectiveMF).
    5) if (Chance 6) FinalChance=Chance-(Chance*QualityFactor/1024)
    7) If (RND[ FinalChance ])<128 return Success
    else return Fail

Thats the formula. We can safely skip the steps related to MF since I only want the odds between superior, normal and low-quality. So that leaves:

5) if (Chance 6) FinalChance=Chance-(Chance*QualityFactor/1024)
    else return Fail

Now normal heads have a basechance of "1", and a Divisor of "1" if i read itemratio.txt correctly. I have no idea what step 5) is trying to say and step 6) is missing so it might need a small edit.

Also for QualityFactor I could only find values for unique/set/rare/magic, I've got no idea what its supposed to be for superior/normal items.

*edit*

SO CLOSE! picked this badboy up in the pit lvl1. Debating if i should keep going or turn it into a splendor now lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  14. Victus

Victus IncGamers Member

Normal class specific items have BaseChanse of 2 and Divisor of 2 for normal guality drop.
    The step missing is: If MinChance > Chance then Chance=MinChance (for high and normal quality MinChance=0).
    So the whole algorithm looks like this:
    3) if (we check for unique, set or rare quality) EffectiveMF=MF*Factor/(MF+Factor) else EffectiveMF=MF
    4) Chance= Chance* 100/(100+ EffectiveMF).
    5) if MinChance > Chance then Chance=MinChance
    6) FinalChance=Chance-(Chance*QualityFactor/1024)
    else return Fail

The QualityFactor for superior and normal quality items is 0.

I did some runs in Tower lvls in normal and check the quality of the drops from monsters and objects.
    The only low quality items that monsters drop are Large Axe and Light Crossbow. Both of them have qlvl=6 and the monsters in Tower lvls (except bosspacks, The Countess and her minions) are mlvl7 so the ilvl is 7 too. So checking the algorithm we have Chance=[2-(7-6)/2]*128=256. And if we skip the unique,set,rare,magic and high quality check we have 50% for normal quality. The items with qlvl<6 have 100% chance to become normal quality if all checks above fail. That's the reason they cant become low quality items.

But that's not the case with object drops. Although they drop items with the same ilvl=7 their drop can be low quality even for items with qlvl=1(Buckler, Short Sword, etc).
    Obviously the objects don't follow the algorithm for quality check above that is true for monsters.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  15. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

Thanks, that helped a lot and explained a lot :)