Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Place To Find Gems?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Gix, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Best Place To Find Gems?

Does anyone know where a good place is to hunt for flawless gems in Hell?

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Just kill a lot of monsters. You could check ATMA to see which monster has the highest chance to drop a gem, but I would recommend to just go whereever you like going, and kill stuff.

3. ebyworx

ebyworx IncGamers Member

from my experience I have found that hell cows and the flayer jungle are the best places to look. this is due to the large number of monsters. I use a summoner/poison hybrid necro and usually can make 2-3 pgems a run in the jungle

4. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

i have also seen a lot drop in nightmare cows and some normal cows, so u might want to do nightmare cows cuz its easier, but u should check atma

5. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

i get quite a few running hell council. i clear it in under 30 seconds. they're good for charms and jewels too.

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

LK running will give ~3 gems per run, not just flawless, but sometimes chippeds too... and lots of charms, jewels and some runes (found my one and only Vex there). Arealvl is 80, so you can pop 40 life on GC there... and no need to kill monsters either ;)

7. ayax_2k4

ayax_2k4 IncGamers Member

Just wondering... what is LK? :scratch:

8. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Lower Kurast area in Act 3. It's full of containers, so all you need is just run around and pop as many as you can, possibly in a full game, to increase the drops. No need to kill anything @ all.

This trick works well for bowzons with harmony bow, palas with vigor or speedy barbarians... it's possible to get A LOT of flawless gems in one run(5-10 is my average/run).

9. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

The chests inside houses are sometimes special chests as well... they can drop 3-4 flawless in one pop.

10. ayax_2k4

ayax_2k4 IncGamers Member

nice tip, thx for that, i'll use a pala with vigor and try it out :thumbsup:

11. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

also, ALWAYS use gem shrines when u see them

if u have a flawless gem in ur inventory, a p gem will drop

12. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

An assasin with burst of speed would be good too. Added bonus of not requiring a key to open locked chests. Mind blast if monsters start to follow you around.

13. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

That's a good idea!

I used to use 200% FCR sorc, just teleport inside the houses I knew had special chests, pop, pick up gold to be able to see all items, and tele on to next house. VERY fast running, though this was single player, and players 8 was on all the time.

14. Myrakh-2

Actually, if you ONLY have flawless gems in your inventory.

A gem shrine will select a random gem from your inventory and upgrade it to the next quality level, so make sure you drop all non-flawlesses before using one.
    That's why I always have an inventory spot reserved for a flawless gem, away from the normal "pickup space".

15. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

I did yesterday some LK runs and in 4 runs (8 player games) my cube and inventory where filled with flawless gems (my stash is seems to be full all the time with crapy unique's i can't trow away, so I had to stop after 4 runs and play my baba before i could mule)

But it seems to be true, I never found more flawless gems in one game! :thumbsup:

But what about skulls? are they worth as much as a gem? more? less? is here a topic about it?

Anyway, i'll soon have enough pgems for yet another um!

(since I keep all the flawless gems, non of my mf runs is disapointing, cause u always find at least 1)

Bert

16. Myrakh-2

Whether or not skulls are worth something depends on what you need the gems for, of course.

For rerolling magic items (i.e. charms, usually) skulls are the same as other gems.
    There is also a recipe to reroll rares, which requires skulls.
    You can't craft with skulls.

17. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

should I keep the pgems myself for rerolling items?

What should be the most rewarding?

I'm kinda focused on getting more and more runes so i can trade them for some uber-runeword with to much HR to find like BOTD or so.

Bert

18. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Rerolling a grand charm from that area has ~1/23 chanse of getting a skiller. A good skiller is probably worth Um, and a bad isn't worth much.. (Hexing Grand Charm of Uselessness, anyone?)

On _average_ you'd need 69 perfect gems/skulls to get one.

Now the interesting part is when you get a good suffix (of Vita, of Balance) on a skiller. You _could_ roll a paladin combat skills with 35-40 life, which can get you 2-3 high runes right away. However, the odds of rolling (any) skiller with (any) suffix is 1/46 so chanses aren't that good.

But just doing LK runs and check all GCs (I'm sure you already do that) can nest you very good skillers. Best I've found is barb combat skills (39 life) ama passive (40 life) and druid shape shift (39 life).

I also found Vex from a corpse I didn't really mean to click, right by the WP...