Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best place to find 4os Eth Thresher or Great Poleaxe? ifra

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Darwing, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Darwing

Darwing IncGamers Member

Best place to find 4os Eth Thresher or Great Poleaxe?

I've been running hell cows with 0% mf to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Best place to find 4os Eth Thresher or Great Poleaxe?

If you play single player you can get a weapon-rack in lower kurast that consistently drops Threshers (I don't think GPA's drop from racks in the current version - too high of a treasure class, I believe). I had one such rack once (that was very inconsistent), and managed to get 3 or 4 eths from it while popping the superchests. Using the cube recipe, I think one managed to get 4 sockets.

Otherwise, I looked in ATMA... cows are by far your best choice. They're the best monster-type for Threshers period, and reasonably high up the list for GPAs. Considering the quantity of cows you can encounter & kill quickly... you might have to just stick with it.

Of course, trading works too - and is always a good source of rare/weird/useful/whatever stuff, as long as you're willing to accept the costs, risks & occasional pain-in-the-butt.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The chance for etherealness or a certain number of sockets is always the same, so visit areas where these weapons can drop in general, as already said. Find it out with ATMA's drop calculator, see my sig for a link.

For the sake of completeness, there's a cap of 3 sockets for items which are found in normal mode with sockets already being on them (I'm not sure if that's all of the story regarding normal mode) and when adding them with the cube recipe or by Larzuk, there are limitations for those with ilvls 1-25 and 26-40. That's not an issue for ethereal elite items, their ilvl will always be far higher than that.

4. Darwing

Darwing IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I've kept up the cowing but no luck yet D: I think I'm gonna try to do them in fuller games. Haven't used ATMA before but it looks pretty sweet. I've been posting ISOs for 4s Eth Thresh on jsp for like 5 days and still no luck lol. (Need this to make an infinity.) Anyway, thanks again.

5. Chadra

Chadra IncGamers Member

try running the pit with 0 mf, no need to make cow lvls, & area lvl is 85 & ilvl 87 with boss mobs (champs n whatnot) can get zerker axes, great poleaxes, giant threshers, etc...

I found an Eth Giant Thresher & cubed it 4os, (ESCL if curious)

6. Darwing

Darwing IncGamers Member

What exactly do you mean by "cubed it 4os?" I thought the cube recipe (Ral, Amn, Pamethyst + weapon) put max sockets into a weapon (6 for a gthresh.) Can you keep rerolling till you get the number of sockets that you like?

7. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

nope, once the sockets are there, you can't reroll them.

But the recipe is random on the quantity of sockets (I'll edit in the details in a second). Using the socket quest from Larzuk (in act 5) will always give the max number of sockets though, perhaps that's what you're thinking of.

Edit:
    copied from AS's cube recipes page

In the case of the Thresher & GPA, their max number of sockets is always different than 4, meaning you'll always have a rather low 1-in-6 chance (at best) when using the recipe. Still, it's your only option if you find a plain, unsocketed, ethereal Thresher/GPA.

Edit2:
    Also, just in case you're considering the other cube recipe to upgrade a low-quality item to normal (recipe: 1 Eld Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Weapon = Normal Quality Weapon of same type)... don't even bother. That recipe lowers the item level of the weapon to "1", and Thresher & GPA have a maximum of 3 sockets if their item level is "1".

That's what I meant by "at best". In this alternative, you'd have no chance at all of getting 4 sockets. :p