Best place for rune finding

perihagen

Banned
Best place for rune finding

Hi, I wonder where the best place to find runes. I have heard that chaos is a nice place, but is it the best?

Perihagen

aman

Assassin Moderator
A place where you can kill alot of monsters quickly.

Cows is an ok place to start

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member
Lower (or was it upper?) kurast chests and travincial are also common suggestons, in general however just kill lots of monsters fast; flayer jungle (likewise wsc when the flayers spawn there), cs and cow are some of the places that come to mind.

Runedrops don't get boosted by mf as I'm sure you've heared, but having more players in game helps.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
And you can always give the Countess a shot. You also have the chance to get keys from her now, which is nice for icing.

perihagen

Banned
I have only got low runes from countess...Sol, shael, tal, ral... Very boring with these runes. I will try cows and travincal.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Or you could rush-for-forge if you like the feeling of being shafted by ungrateful teenage dirtbags.

IntelligentX

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally I value flayer jungle/great marsh the most. The little guys can be easily killed, they come in packs, and you can get x2 drops if there are unique/champion flayer shamans.

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member
Hunting for HRs is going to make you insane.

I've played for 3+ years and never had one drop.

Always better to hunt for items and trade for them.

pliu

Banned
I have only got low runes from countess...Sol, shael, tal, ral... Very boring with these runes. I will try cows and travincal.
Runes like Ral,Tal,Amn,Thul,Ort,Hel are in high demand now. If your purpose is not to make legit runewords, hunting those low runes by do countess and massive killing. Otherwise do cows and travincal like crazy and hope HRs will drop.

Generator

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm. I have only had 2 hrs drop on me, both vex and both this season. first was in throne, other was yesterday by andy. I have done lots of countess runs and I have gotten 2 pul, um, mal and ist from her. honestly with her it's about repitition. Just keep hacking away and eventually she will drop good stuff. Plus she can drop keys which are worth alot nowadays.

RequiemDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
My high rune drops have been from hell forge (obviously - Gul, Ist, etc.), Chaos Sanctuary (Vex), Countess (Ohm, Lo from a random monster on the way, and Ist) and the Spider Forest (Mal)... Cows have yielded stuff to use them in more so than the actual runes themselves... I've found a bevy of Puls, and Ums, and the like, but always it is a surprise...

The real trick to finding a high rune is to not look for them... They will drop when you least expect it... I know I've said this before, but just play... It works... Just play the game without a set goal in mind, and you'll come out better in the long run... Unless you need to complete some runeword really bad, in which case, you should just do key runs and trade for what you need...

I'd also like to recommend not passing by those red portals in act 5... I think they have a TC level of 84 or 85... When I do a full game run, I always completely clear out all the good TC areas like The Mausoleum, The Pits, Ancient Tunnels, Assorted act 3 goodness, Trav, Durance, River of Flame, Chaos, the aforementioned act 5 portals (Their names escape me at the moment), WSK, and Cows... Also, if you ever go organ hunting, try to clear those areas too... I've found so many good things, and decent runes too...

*Requiem_Death

beeranon

Diabloii.Net Member
Just keep hacking away and eventually she will drop good stuff. Plus she can drop keys which are worth alot nowadays.
Couldn't agree more. I've been key running a numbered set of private games (2 computers, so 2-player games) to see what key drop rates I observe in, say, 100 games of Countess/Summoner/Nihlathak runs (currently 5 keys/18 games [5/54 bosses: 1H/1T/3D], so I've got some dry times ahead of me). One of the random goobs in Tower level 5 dropped Ist; Countess dropped El/Eld. Next run, Countess dropped Ko. Never know what to expect.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I still don't bother with the red portals in Act V when I quest, I used to when I was in single player but now I don't have the patience. Not much point until you have your char built up and have some decent MF gear anyway.

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
I sometimes visit those red portals in Act V. At worse, all I get is some experience. And who knows, I might get a shiny item.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I've never done serious MFing, I don't have the gear.

Well, except that in the old days I'd join Baal run games - although the lazy sods rarely bothered with Baal himself, they were just lvling with his minions. I'd wait until they got through the minions and then slaughter Baal solo and take his loot. But then maphack got destroyed and now every time I join a Baal run the little bastards join up, wait for someone to magically do all the work for them and then whine and leave.

It really wouldn't take that long to get from the WP to Baal if they all worked together and they could lvl and MF as they go, but nooo.

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Dondrei said:
Well, except that in the old days I'd join Baal run games - although the lazy sods rarely bothered with Baal himself, they were just lvling with his minions. I'd wait until they got through the minions and then slaughter Baal solo and take his loot.
I do that too.
Dondrei said:
It really wouldn't take that long to get from the WP to Baal if they all worked together and they could lvl and MF as they go, but nooo
Remember, they want to do as little work as humanly possible.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
They probably spend more time joining games, whining and leaving than it would take to just do the damn run...