Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best pit runner ?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by WackenOpenAir, Mar 1, 2004.

1. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

best pit runner ?

for hardcore, so never dying is very important :)

should i make a sorc or hammerdin?

2. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

Actually, I think a bone necro is safest. Between bone armor, a few revives, a clay golem, a decent merc, and dim vision, monsters rarely ever hit you, and if you're careful, they'll do hardly any damage when they do.

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

Do they also have some killing speed ?
    Never made a necro before, but if he does kill at a reasonable speed, i'd certainly like to make one.

4. SHAOC

SHAOC Banned

Play a zon. I think they are the best character ever.

5. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I use a poison necro and think he works great (I have maxed all poison skills, maxed bone wall, 1 in all good curses and the rest in bone prison). The good thing is that he can take a lot of damage because of the bone armor. He kills fast too and cleans the pit in.... well in 4-5 minutes, maybe less with 330 mf on. I use a freeze merc as help.
    But what I've heard is that a hammerdin is the best and fastest pitrunner. Never tried one myself though.

EDIT: Poison necro is very fun to play as well.

6. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

They have quite good killing speed. They do about 3k-3.5k spear damage; that's probably about half of your average hammerdin, and it probably doesn't hit as many targets, but it's a more directed/easier-to-aim attack, so you don't have as many "wtf am I not hitting this one last guy" moments.

My bone necro with shako/skullder's/arach/+2 amulet/+8 bspear wand does nearly 3k with decent cast rate. +8 wands are easy to get; just shop at normal-difficulty Drognan until a white socketable +3 bspear wand comes up, then pop Dol+Io in it. Use the cube socketing recipe rather than a Larzuk quest.

I put one point into a few skills, so that I could get Revive and Decrepify. I also find that Dim Vision is very helpful; it literally turns the monsters within its radius into gibbering idiots for the duration of the curse, such that they won't attack anything that's not melee-whacking them. Great for Pit archer packs, who pose a significant threat otherwise. Doesn't work on champs, though. Anyway, it's worth losing a small bit of bone damage.

I think Teeth might be helpful, but I'm not so sure. I maxed bone spear -> bone spirit -> bone wall -> bone prison, and left Teeth for last, so at clvl 86, I only have 2 or 3 points in it (and I don't even use Bone Spirit that much; too much mana drain). If in fact multiple teeth can hit monsters, it might be great for crowd control. Can't say for sure.

7. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

Strafe Amazon. Period.

The damage output is absolutly insane.

8. ColorWolf

ColorWolf IncGamers Member

Sorc.

ranking imo are:

sorc (see strategy compendium)
    zon (see zon forum)
    barb (full IK version)
    pally (hammer version)
    necro (poison version)

summon necro has micromanagement problems. Poison necros are fine and nice, but can't kill as fast as a zon and move as fast as other classes. Pally and barb both good at moving extremely fast, but pally, although guarentee 1 hit kill, takes some time at throwing hammers where as a full IK barb can well do over 5k damage and kills faster even in 8p game (BotD barb works better but too expensive)

Zon, fastest damage output but moves slower than sorc, barb, and pally

Sorc: fastest movement and almost as high damage output as a zon.