Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best new thing about items

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by mjkittredge, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mjkittredge

mjkittredge IncGamers Member

Best new thing about items

My favorite improvement of D3 over D2, is that you only see the items that drop for you! A separate bunch of items drop for each character that the other players in multiplayer can't grab.

This was one of the worst parts of Diablo 2, the mad scramble for boss drops, or that faster person taking all the good stuff and not giving other people a chance. Multiplayer is so much fun, but in order to get items for yourself, you have to do solo MF runs. Otherwise it's crapshoot whether or not you'll get that extremely rare drop, like a high rune. I was always conflicted as to whether to join multiplayer or solo.

Now, in D3, I won't have to choose!

2. Meimu

Meimu IncGamers Member

Re: Best new thing about items

How do you come to that conclusion?

3. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

They said so during the Q&A of the Design Panel on the first day of the WWI. Someone asked a question about what they were doing to address the rush for loot that happens in many games when a boss dies, and they responded that (in essence) everybody gets their own loot drop. Basically, it drops loot like HGL, at least at this stage.

4. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Another great thing (if it works as I think it does at this stage) is that you can mf alone and get more drops than with multiple people! If each person get's his own drop you could potentially control 2+ chars like in D2 and get twice the amount of drops (or more) and it's all yours!
    Ofc the loot may be droped based on who makes the kill as well which will ruin that idea.

But to not stray from topic, I hope they keep seperate loot for each player. God knows I've lost quite a few things due to people focusing more on picking up loot than killing.

5. JusticeInACan

JusticeInACan IncGamers Member

The type of system they have right now is a good one, but a cutoff timer for ownership of the item after a certain amount of time would make it even better, in my opinion. If you don't understand what I mean, take a look at how loot drops are set up in Guild Wars.

6. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

No real interest in investigating that, but i assume by cutoff you mean the player has a certain amount of time to claim the loot drop before it becomes open to whoever can grab it first?

7. Approon

Approon IncGamers Member

i can agree that pickup spamming are irritation because it takes the cooperation to second level. Anyway if they decide to make item ownership i think something like this would be a good idea.

When a monster dies, doesnt matter who killed it, consider a party of four people, three of them in combat and one in town or doing something else.

All drops from that monster drops and is visible to all players, nothing like each persons gets its own very special drop local only, because then its like playing a single player game.

Drops are assigned with some equal randomisation for example 8 items drop.
    Player 1: gets assigned 2 items
    Player 2: gets assigned 3 items
    Player 3: gets assigned 3 items
    Player 4: (in town, or further away then 1 screens of the killed mob)
    gets assigned 0 items.

This ownership of items should dissapear quite quick like 30 seconds or so, and dissapear instantly if the player with the ownership wanders away like 3 screens.

This makes everything quite fair and if i go away from party or gets behind everything that drops gets assigned to me and nothing for the rest party gets assigned to me.

Nothing is more frustrating than drops that gets assigned to persons that cant pick them up, and noone gets it.

Just my picture of what would be a good idea.

8. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

I think any kind of assigning system that uses the same loot style as D2 is bound to fail.

So lets say Hell Diablo drops 1 unique, 2 rares, 3 blues and 2 whites.

No matter which way you cut it, the people who get assigned a white or a blue are going to feel like you do now when someone else cleans up the loot before you get a chance to get anything.

No, there has to be better ways to do it.

9. Approon

Approon IncGamers Member

Atleast this way there is a higher chance for people with slower reactions and less motivation to act like a machine (bashing the mouse buttons while holding ALT). If you run baal 8 times with a group of 4 you can get items by just standing back and o what a caster is supposed to do and even then get items. Also people with lesser internet connections or laggy computers can enjoy the drops.

10. hestah

hestah IncGamers Member

In DS2 all loot is visible to all players in the party and get assigned randomly.
    I think this is good but I would like an option to be able to let other players pick your loot too if you want. This will avoid standing around waiting for the drop to be unassigned if you have a full inventory.
    Approons idea of the character just walking out of screen is also very good IMO.

11. Evoknox

Evoknox IncGamers Member

In the gameplay vid it also seemed that you pick up gold automatically. That's a good change :p

12. cyruseli

cyruseli IncGamers Member

has anyone realized that this will (i think) completely stop hacks that auto pick-up items? no matter how the rest of it works, that in itself makes me really excited

13. Evoknox

Evoknox IncGamers Member

I've read in an interview (forgot who was interviewed) somewhere that the new battle.net will be so much more secure. They said they've learned from Diablo II.

I'm positive they're gonna try their best to avoid hacks and dish out swift bans for the ones that are trying to hack.

14. Morphinia

Morphinia IncGamers Member

Thats an absolute copy of Mythos/Hellgate London. One o the main things everyone liked about those games if an item dropped. It dropped only for you.

15. Morphinia

Morphinia IncGamers Member

I don't think this will stop autopickup... I'm sure someone can write a decent program as long as your in the same server as they are. You can most likely fool the server for whose character is who.

16. UnderAge

UnderAge IncGamers Member

I like this idea, me especially because I remember playing d2 cs runs on classic and trying to click as fast as i could because i had an ancient computer lol. now i have a new one but i know ppl out there would have the same problem if this feature was not included too the game

17. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I don't have any problem with drops in D2, I only play with my friend(s) and we are allways able to agree on who gets what.
    I understand there are autopickup hacks and pickup spammers, but in the long run it doesn't matter. If you want to do serious MF, you do it alone anyways.
    This system would only complicate things. Imagine someone is not grabbing flawless gems in your game, you are not rich, so you pick them up all. You will wait for those items to be able to pick them up for you? That defeats the purpose of cooperation and fighting even more than frantic clicking in free for all drop system.

Just a random opposite view on the thing.

18. Approon

Approon IncGamers Member

Exatcly why i dont want sucha a system because compared to Wow or other games Diablo III will have much more items drop and everyones after different stuff.

To solve have some range to when items isnt owned by someone. Like a screen or two. Still it takes the speed of the item drops :nod:

Hope blizzard solves this in a good way, becase if players get separate drops we could aswell play separate games.

19. Remy

Remy IncGamers Member

But people play separate games in D2 for the exact opposite reason. It is because many times you are not guaranteed the drops that you put in the work for that people will rather solo. People don't play separate games in D2 because they get separate drops in cooperative games anyway.

If the difficulty/challenge in D3 is jacked up significantly as such that some of the late-game bosses are just impossible to solo, it gives people incentive to do MF runs in groups. Since you are guaranteed your own drop that no one else can mess with, you can easily consider running cooperative MF. That could be a great addition, since we don't really have that in D2.

IMO, not only is universal dropping a bad idea, there should be no expiration at all, period. That way, people will just get used to the fact and won't have to worry about what other people get. If you never see other people's drops, you will never have to be jealous or worry about it. Everyone can just focus on playing the actual game.

If you want someone else to have a particular item, you can just pick it up and drop it back down, that's only two clicks. If people are too lazy with even just two simple clicks, they can even just make a hot key(like ALT) where one click re-drops the item so others can see it(and pickup). Problem solved.

It is the party mechanics that determine the quality of cooperative play, not loot scrambling. I really see no down side to personalized drops.

20. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

What happens if you run out of room in your stash? Also, does the new item mechanism mean that you won't be able to drop an item for your friend to pick up?