Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best mfing tactic?Meph vs Pits

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Rius666, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Best mfing tactic?Meph vs Pits

I'm having a hard time deciding what kinda mf runs i should do. Right now im doing pits/ancient tunnels/meph/eld/shenk/pindle and an occasional andy. I have around 430 mf and doing these runs takes about 15 min each, which is pretty long. I was wondering whether it would be better to do only meph runs or do only pit runs or only meph/pit runs. need advice from mf veterans. any help is appreciated :worship:

2. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Meph will drop way more sets and uniques than the level 85 areas. If you are feeling low on self esteem, kill meph a couple times. If you are around level 80 and need some levels, try pindle. Go back to the level 85 areas when you are feeling lucky. Spread out across all the MF spots to keep life interesting.

3. funnelweb2

funnelweb2 IncGamers Member

It depends how "rich" you are. If you still need items like Lightsabre, Mara's, Oculus, Gaze, Shaftstop, Raven Frost, Skullders etc, it's best to concentrate on Meph runs. He has the highest yield of decent items per hour of mf'ing. In fact, for many mid-level items, N'mare Meph is better than Hell Meph because the runs are faster. But if you want items like Windforce or the IK set armour, even Hell Meph is a waste of time, because he can't drop them. You have to do the Pits and the Tunnels etc for those, but the yield per hour is lower.

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Also depends on build, some are better for taking on groups, others for single monsters

5. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

Pits is pretty damn hard without good equipment, Meph is pretty easy as well as Pindle, but watch out for Pindle it takes awhile

6. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

What are the "tunnels"?

I concentrate on Meph runs with my Hammerdin - averaging about 3-4 minutes per run. I can clear pits in about 7 or 8 minutes.

My MF is only 324, but my mercs is 220, so if he gets the kill we're at 544.

I can kill Baal, but even at level 87, and about 6500 hammer damage per hammer, it takes a long time - which to me is a waste.

7. funnelweb2

Ancient Tunnels in Act 2, Lost City

8. MaddMardigan

MaddMardigan IncGamers Member

Ancient Tunnles consists of Magic Immunes, so it's not worth it for casters.

9. funnelweb2

That's a bit too sweeping - eg, sorc spells are elemental, not magic.

10. Taurgon

Taurgon IncGamers Member

I've done countless runs every where and I vote for Mephy. The best rewards for all the labor. The experience points aren't bad, either.

11. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Now that 1.10 has opened up many more areas to fruitful MF runs simply vary the places you go to.
    Depending on the time I have I do the following types of runs.
    Not much time (hour or so) Pindleskin, Shenk and co, Town Council in Travincal, Mephisto. About 5-10 minutes per run depending on how far I have to run in DoH 2.
    Loads of time (entire day/evening), Pindleskin, Shenk and co, Town Council, Mephisto, Pits, Smith, Haephesto (River of Flames), Diablo, Baal. Runs can last upto an hour if I get sidetracked but I rarely go a run without elite set/uniques.
    Last 3 times I did Baal (Monday night) I got 2 Ariocs Needle, Tals Armour. God alone knows what I am going to do with 2 needles :), Tals Armour is always a welcome find. The rest of the runs tend to be productive enough to keep my mules fed as well.

12. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

It all comes down to enjoyment. I used to do exclusively diablo runs, then it became such a chore that it was tiring just doing one of them. So I did some Andariel runs for a while (if you have the drop bug the drops are pretty ok) then I went to do Baal and now I do Pindle (and raise skele army), Diablo, Baal, Eldritch and then Shenk to wind down. Takes a while but I think you get more enjoyment. And you stay in games long enough to watch for SOJ counters, which to me is part of MFing, since finding clone is just like having a good drop.

Of course having said that, I use a summancer to MF, so he can basically go anywhere as he pleases, not all MFer characters have this fortune, having said that summancers do have to live with slower runs cos you have to let the minions get to work.

MFing can get quite tedious, and when it does, its a sign that you have been doing that monster for too long, go do somebody else for a bit to mix it up.

I prefer Diablo and Baal over Mephisto because of the level 85 areas you have to go through to get to them. Also because Mephisto is a pain to find, the durance is a maze now.

13. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

If ariochs < +4 then toss....

As said above, it comes down to enjoyment. Any run done repetitively gets tedious. Mix em up a bit for more enjoyment. I think peeps get too caught up in mf speed sometimes. I'd rather have fun and find less than be bored and find more....

14. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

mix it up, do a little of everything, that way when one character isn't lucky, u can move to a dif one.

i make 4-5 dif mf characters, to do different kinds of runs, and that have equpment set up for those runs
    cause lets face it, mfing is all about luck, and some characters are luckier at finding certian kinds of items then others (my blizz sorc has found 12 shakos, and i haven't found one on any of my other characters)

my mf characters, their purpose, aprox mf
    86 blizz sorc- andy, coucil, meph, pindle, 640 mf
    82 meteor sorc- fast meph runs only 450 mf
    89 wind druid- pits 400 mf (went from lvl 80-89 in the pits only)
    85 straff zon- pits, flayer 320 mf
    85 meele/enchantress sorc- countess runs low mf
    84 conc barb- d clone killer gheeds charm, thas it

i started out with the barb, then made the bliz sorc, proceded to find items to equip all of my other characters

working on finding good items for my next few characters, a hammerdin and psn/bone necro

15. TRX

TRX IncGamers Member

can someone tell me which pit everyone refers to as "the pitts"?

16. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

In the Tamoe Highland, right befor the Monestary Gate and Outer Cloister is a cave with level 85 monsters, called the Pit

17. Dark-LYNX

Dark-LYNX IncGamers Member

Mephisto can be dangerous due the dolls packs plus the ones that hit you hard with stun...I like to do pit runs,since it was there I got my WF, eaglehorn and arkaine from it. :)

18. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

well it sounds like an opinion thing so i guess ill just mix it up and try to mf whoever i feel like. I think just doing meph and pits mixed in with a few tunnels is good. I basically just want mid-high lvl items or items to trade for those high lvl items. I have a FO/CL sorc and findin meph isnt a problem for me. Shes lvl ** and doesnt die much cept from lag and the merc is very helpful. I can usually complete a meph run in about 1 min or so. Tunnels is a bit more tedious to find but there are tons of unique monsters walkin about in lost city including the super unique Dark Elder so killing those unique can sometimes yield good drops as well. Thx for all the input and keep em coming :)

19. SDC Pred

SDC Pred IncGamers Member

If you are strong enough, do full clears of the Worldstone Keep lvls 1-3, throne room and baal. I've found several mid runes and many good uniques there. The exp from one full clear and baal yields about 10-15 mil and lvl 89.

20. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

hmm how long does this usually take you and what kinda char u mfin with?

EDIT:and how much mf do u have and do u have any problems surviving (black souls is all i have to say)? forgot to add that part