Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best MF Sorc?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by quickpot, Feb 19, 2004.

1. quickpot

quickpot IncGamers Member

Best MF Sorc?

Hi everyone,

I started playing 1.10 ladder (after I quit playing 1.09) and like everyone, I decided to make an MF sorc first. I made a meteorb and now I am regretting it simply because I have no gear to compensate for it. I tried doing nightmare meph runs but since you have to wait about 2 seconds for the meteor to fall, meph kills me in one shot. I am level 79 and I am still wearing rares, my resistance is negative 50's in nightmare. So my question is, would a blizzard sorc be a better choice for those who have no gear for mf runs? Since you can cast a blizzard and run around? Should I stick with my meteorb or make a new sorc for mf runs?

Thanks for your input.

2. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Meteor orb is a good mf sorc and very popular.

Hire a defiance merc to help tank and increase yer defense. Most attacks can be dodged, so I wouldn't worry too much about resistance.

Do the 'moat trick' when meteoring Meph. He dies while U don't suffer a scratch. Tele to him, then lure him down towards the 'moat'. Tele over the moat, and stand far enuff away where he doesn't attack (he can't cross moat), while U meteor him into oblivion

PS Mercs not needed on Meph runs. Its all about attacking from afar...

3. quickpot

Thanks for the quick reply!

Quick question.. By moat, you mean precast meteor and den lure him there? Thing is, his lightning or whatever he shoots still kills me in one shot. lol.

4. quickpot

oops double post

5. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

U have to tele up to him first to get him to move from his spot. Then just tele down the lefthand side, staying out of the area of the unique monster on the left and the councillers on the right (sometimes U cant avoid em - just make a new game if that happens). He'll follow you right up to the moat edge. U can stand about half a screen away from him w/o him firing at you...then meteor away...

6. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

While I agree that a merc is not needed, I prefer to use one. I have a level 5 E-shield on when I zooming around Durance2 looking for the stairs. If I happen to land in an aura'd boss pack, just a hit or two will drain my mana orb, and I can't teleport out before getting clobbered by a couple more hits... and that's with a 70% FCR teleport. Fanatic doll and giant packs are a frightening sight and I see them too often for y own comfort. The merc has saved my bacon many times from that fate. You be the judge of usefulness on that one. I will say I am usually carrying 400K in gold around with me at any time so resurrection costs are not an issue outside of the time to visit Tyrael to resurrect him. My merc never dies unless Meph gets too many hits on him before I jump to town to heal and swap on the final few MF things in town

I don't think it's all about attacking Meph from afar. To do the moat trick you often need to clear out the Council so you don't get hydras all over where most people prefer to "safely" stand while hitting Meph across the moat. There are other positions to take, but sometimes there are ghouls nearby that will hit you as well while you're trying to take out Meph. My blizzard sorc and my holy freeze merc go toe-to-toe with hell Meph in MF gear (no added resists from gear) . I rarely die, and that's only when I'm closer to Meph than my merc is and he attacks me instead. At first I run inclose and static him down to 50%. I usually run up to town to heal my merc (if he's down down to 25-50% health and poisoned by the time Meph is down to 10-25% life), swap my Magefist and mana rings for my Chance Guards and Nagels and I'm back to finish Meph off in under 5 seconds. I've made runs in under 30 seconds like this, althought he average is higher since the layouts make it more difficult to find the stairs.

For some background: here's what I use for equipment:

Ptopazed shako
    Magefist //ChanceGuards
    35 MF ammy
    2 x Bahumats rings/2x Nagels
    4-Ptopazed armor
    35 mf boots
    Goldwrap
    Wizardspike & Rhyme
    sorc staff with +3 to Energy Shield (saved me a skill point)

skills: Blizzard and all synergies maxed, 1 in teleport, 1 in static. couple in warmth. level 84, most stats points in vitality. Has about 1K mana with Bahumat's rings.

Merc uses Reapers Toll, Tal's mask, and Shafstop.

Defiance mercs are OK, but the added defense is not going to make that much difference at my level with the type of asrmor I'm wearing. Maybe if you were level 90 it would be more of a factor since defense becomes more of the determining to-hit factor when monster levels are close to your own. To each his own though.

In the end, I have a feeling that runs could be done faster if all you had to focus on was Meph, and leave all the other monsters there alone. That's easiest by getting right on top of him, but keeping him close to that circle emblem on the floor just below where he spawns.

7. Magos

Magos IncGamers Member

Pure Lightning Sorc is best of my three (pure Blizz, MeteorOrb, pure Lightning) Sorcs for Meph, Pit, Pindle, Eldritch, Shrenk, Andariel, Countess. Vizier being Lightning Immune stops her running Diablo (Merc can handle that but its takes an extra 45 seconds a run then). Need to get a Might merc to around lvl 85 to be able to take out the few lightning immune mobs in the pit.

Chain Lightning is auto hitting 12 mobs for 11k dmg a piece, 3 times a second, or Lightning is hitting for 30k. Spamming either of these attacks kills fast. Griffons Eye (reduces mobs lightning resist) further helps on uber mobs; with this equipped you would think Hell Mephisto was NM version, dieing in 2-3 seconds. 4 pieces of Tals set also produces the same effect on Tals Lidless Eye. Port straight up to him, throw a portal up for emergencies, static then 8 lightning and he is toast.

My preference is Might merc, every time, for Sorcs. Only drawback is him killing dolls while you port around Durance 2. 63% FCR and 30% FHR is essential for this, far more than even resists. Wizardspike and Whistans Guard on switch are superb for porting through this area.

8. stpkong

stpkong IncGamers Member

Tancred's Set: Amulet & Boot will be better (78%mf) if you do not have a 50mf amulet.