Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Mf % For Hammer Pally To Get Unique Drops?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Deathlok2001, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

Best Mf % For Hammer Pally To Get Unique Drops?

ON ANOTHER THREAD, SOMEONE MENTIONED THAT :

200% MF GIVES you the best chance of getting unique drops

200-300& MF gives you more set items

over 300% MF gives you more rares & magic items

anyone know whats what when it comes to MF>?

I have a lvl 85 pally & i can get him to 414% MF, but then he dies alot

so what is the max % of MF before diminshing returns kick in?

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

400% starts diminishing. The more mf the better so u have more chances of rolling a unique.

3. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

so are you saying that over 400% MF is a waste?

I want to max my MF to the point right before dimishing returns...in this manner I can still kill @ a decent rate........

4. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

No, the formulas for the +chance of getting rares/sets/uniques is like this:

effective MF = (MF * factor) / (MF + factor)
    chance = chance * 100 / (100 + effective MF)
    where factor = 250 for uniques, 500 for sets, 600 for rares

Diminishing returns kick in right away, but you just need in reality to first start mfinding with 75% resist all 75% block, (50% fast cast is good if you are a hammerdin) and as much mf as you can fit into that, then you will start to improve your equipment slowly with what you start to find... and then you will start to get more mf while maintaining those stats...

Btw the game will allways check from top (unique) to bottom (magic) so what you said ´bout the mf% isn´t true :) ... what happens is that the max +%chance of getting each quality type is capped by the diminishing returns formula into a max effective of 250% for uniques, 500% for sets and 600% for rares...

Popping your mf (414) into the formula gives us this numbers:
    +155% uniques // +226% sets // +244% rares
    If you would go down to 300% mf then it would be:
    +136% U // +187% S // + 200% R

You would lose quite a bit of extra chance of getting uniques, but if your survivability increases then it would be worth it by a lot...

5. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

if u can run baal with 600% mf almost every item is unique. It all depends on what the base item drops. So far almost every elite on baal has been unique for me and i have never seen white/magical stuff. Worst i gotten was like 3 rares bt usually all uniques ^_^

6. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

[email protected]!...the unthinkable occured!.....i was killing those 2 bosses by the fridge wp in act 5 ( the troll & the big black guy) & gris armour [email protected]@[email protected]@!....so i socketed it with 3 P top

funny thing is now that i have gris armour, its been raining set & unique items!.....My hammeradin jumps into baal games with alot of peeps in them & i just kill those 2 bosses, exxit & do it over & over again.......

in a few hours of doing that i got:

LOH
    15% IAS jewel
    Mahim Oak curio ammy
    Hone Sundan Yari
    Boneflame Succubus Skull -------> going to try & trade this for an ist rune
    or something & socket the ist into my wizardspike.....( or maybe trade for war trav boots for MF)

when i got the gris drop, i DID NOT have insane MF either!...i think i ONLY
    had 192% MF!

Now i have 264% MF. And now i seem to hit a unique every now & then........every since i found the gris armour.........doing those 2 act 5 bosses....its easy & fast to do........

7. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

my wind druid uses gris armor with ptopaz as well as aldur with ptop. works pretty well even though my mf is not high. other equipment includes chance guard, upgraded goldwrap and a mf rare boot (still hoping to find/trade a aldur boot and a mace though to complete my collection)

8. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

OK ACCORING TO THE MF GUIDE ON THIS SITE, 200 % or so MF or so is the max...after that your MF for rare & magical items increases geometically in proportion to unique %

i dropped down to 234% MF...i have found the folowing:

waterwalks
    trang cantor trophy
    and my 1st Rainbow unique jewel

Also i have found using (294% MF)

another gris armour
    trang scales
    wizardspike
    nats helm
    eye unique ammy
    mah oak unique ammy
    nice executioners RARE sword with 235-458 dam & 279%ED

9. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

the site MF guide lists:

with 20o%MF:

171% for unique drop

183% for set item drop

185% for rare

with 315% MF

unique = 215
    set = 250
    rare = 258

with 400%MF:

Unique = 236
    set = 287
    rare = 300

it gets worse from there..........i have tested this out & i found that if i have 350 or more MF, i get alot of magical & rare items...harder to get uniques

10. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I think you may be misunderstanding MF. When an item drops, the game first determines whether it will be unique, then, if that fails, whether it will be set, then the same for rare and magical. The more MF you have, the likelier you are to find uniques (as well as rares and set). The fact tha you find more rares does NOT make you less likely to find uniques, since whether or not an item is rare is decided AFTER the game decides whether it is unique.

P.S. I currently run my MFers from 350 - 570 mf, and have no problems finding lots of uniques.

11. Jakim

Jakim IncGamers Member

How i understand it is this, each monster has a predetermined chance to drop unique, set, rare etc. so lets just say a "cow" for example had 10% to drop unique, which is unrealistic, and you had 400% mf that would increase the unique chance by 236% meaning something like 10% chance enhanced by 236%, not 10%+236%, but more of a multiplication thingy dealyo, too tired to figure it right now. But if it fails to become unique then it will try set, which has slightly higher chance, and if it fails, it will try rare, which has a much higher chance of becoming. Basically when you say your getting more rares then uniques its because your just getting less "Blue" Magic items becuz the rare chance is so high, and uniques are always gonna be rare, so it just seems like your not getting much, not saying MF doesnt help cuz it does, especially on things like Act end bosses. Basically the value 400% enchances the chance of it being Magic, or "Blue".

12. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

the more MF you have the better your chances are. The bigger question in decideding your mf is your ability to kill. Having 1000%MF is nice but if you can't kill a quill rat than it won't do you any good. It also depends how you're MFing. If you're doing straight MEPH runs than you can get by with less damage, and more MF. However, if you're wading into huge groups and plan to run around and MF by mass carnage, than you'll want the power to handle that.

My old MF Pally runner did Meph primarily, but had 750+ MF% (75, 75, 75, 75 resists). He did fine and picked up a fair amount of loot. However, I didn't try chaos runs with him.

13. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

How did you get 750% + MF on a pally & still be able to kill anything in hell? what did you use???...LOL

14. CheddarGod

CheddarGod IncGamers Member

Jakim, is right. Say a cow has a 10% chance to drop a unique item. Now, everyone has 100% mf(duh, you have 100% chance of 10% to get a unique from a cow). Now say you increased your mf a lot and got to an additional 300% mf to get a unique, so basically 400% mf. 10 * 4 = 40% chance to get a unique from the cow.
    Note: This was an example and I have no idea the chance to get a unique from a cow.

15. CheddarGod

CheddarGod IncGamers Member

I have just noticed I was a moron for restarting this post. No flames please and just ignore I guess.

16. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

17. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

I read that link & it still does not add up to 750%..at most your gear gives you 500%MF..where does the other 250% come from

18. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

Have to find my char to get the exact numbers, but:

StealSkull (50%MF base, 74% w/Ptopaz
    Chance Guards(39%MF)
    Goldwrap (30%MF)
    War Traveler(47%MF)
    rings: 60%
    ammy: 17
    just that is 267
    and then charms is about 210
    267 + 210 = 477 alone.