Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best merc for sorc

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by damaris, Oct 10, 2006.

1. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

best merc for sorc

hi all. one question: What will be the best merc for meteororb/blizz sorc? and why?

2. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze merc, because you could use some crowd control.

And here's my "which merc should I use" answer for every character:
    • If you deal physical damage, then go with Might.
    • If you don't, go with Holy Freeze. You probably could use the crowd control.
    • Arguably, if you're a boner, go with Fire Rogue (Kab's argument, not mine).
    • Occasionally, jiansonz will go with an Act 3 cold merc to freeze monsters, but that choice is a factor of his playstyle.

Nothing else really works well, even the defiance mercs, because only two chars (pally/barb) are capable of pumping defense to astronomical levels and even then, when you run, that defense goes to zero.

crg

3. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

I guess most people will say either a Holy Freeze (for crowd control) or Might (for physical damage). I've seen some people state their liking for a Prayer merc, but in honesty, they seem worthless to me.

Personally, I'd use a Barbarian merc. The simple reasoning is that you do need a source of physical damage but everyone uses an Act 2 merc for pretty much every class.... and really, for a pure caster, all of the auras are rather pointless. The Barb merc adds benefits of high damage with stuns and a very high life regen..... he also lets you use a different weapon so you dont need to have so many finds of polearm class weapons for each of your mercs.

4. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze. Might is good for specific things, such as; Might is better if you are taking a pure Blizz or a Blizz variant (or probably any cold variant, including FO) to 99 in which case you want your merc to deal with CIs as well as possible. Otherwise, go with HF.

5. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

I'd argue this mostly applies to twinked play. For untwinked play, rogues (and rarely mages) are often MUCH better.

But ya, get a holy freeze merc for your sorc. I use a prayer merc just because I'm lazy (consider him if he holds an Insight for super healing.)

6. IronCrown

IronCrown IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze.
    I decided to try defiance, as I went all vit and no block but my sorc's progress went down to a crawl. After getting hf the speed picked up and she is flying now!

Edit: she is a meteorb and dealing fire damage the cold offsets and compliments nicely.

7. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Defiance.

Why? With one skill point in the first cold armor and decent defence items such as upped skin of viper or tal rasha's and lidless wall shield, the overall defence will be about 6-7kay. It is not huge, but will give you a reasonable chance to avoid being hit, around 30-35% in act 5 hell typically. The good thing is that the effects of defence stack with shield blocking so you can use low chance to block shield such as lidless which have good defence.

Then you can combine with a low chance to block, say 60-80 points total in dexterity for say, 15-20% chance of shield block, and the overall effect is comparable to a high shield block sorceress all for a lot less dexterity investment which comes mostly from items and one skill point in the first cold armor.

8. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Holy Freeze merc as everyone said. It helps controlling the mob when you do either questing or running. Freeze can slow then, and with Kelpie Snare, they can't even move at all..

9. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Let's look at the reasons why HF is so useful to a sorceress:
    1. You normally kill normal monsters pretty fast, before they can pose a threat.
    2. You need your merc when you face immunes.
    3. Your cold spells don't work on immunes, so you get a bunch of baddies, not slowed down by your cold skills, chasing a fragile sorc and a single dumb merc.
    4. The HF aura of the merc does work on CIs, providing you with safety when you need it most!

In addition to that,
    5. A HF merc can last pretty long (since he doesn't get hit and interrupted much), making him a great tank.
    6. You'll have plenty of time to demolish monsters ignoring the merc and crawling towards you.

10. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

In my opinion, if you need a HF merc to slow enemies, you're not teleporting away fast enough :badteeth:.

I agree with DC, go for Might if you're single element. Couple your dude with a mighty stick-o-hurt, and let him take care of immunes. If you press a Reaper's Toll in his hands he slows critters too and his might does the rest.

My current merc is an Act II defiance one.
    I found that the extra defence makes him last longer around Baal's minions.

[/size=1]*AJK seriously considers dropping his next point in a chilly armor*[/size]

11. lordbaver

lordbaver IncGamers Member

I'd say Prayer, and get an Insight polearm. Cheap, and you don't ever have to worry about mana again, and can focus on +skills and fast cast.
    If you have insight, the meditation will double the amount of healing you get.

So if you have level 20 prayer, thats 11 life/second, and if it's with the meditation you have 22 life/second. However, this only works in RWM (since vanilla don't have insight)

12. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

2 cents......

My vote is for a HF merc, slower enemies is always good. As for killing CI's, it is much quicker to use the CE on Bonehew to get rid of them (providing there are non-CI monsters around to give you a corpse).

If you are pure cold, and running Baal on higher /p settings, then having a might merc isn't going to help you kill a CI /p lister :p, but having a HF merc may just save you from being swamped by a fanatical lister pack.

/end 2 cents.....

13. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

Yep, I can only agree with this. One of my sorceresses wears Tal's set and with the cold armor and her defiance merc she has a defence of about 6.5k. And 75% block... That really makes her quite a tank and since I teleport in 90% of the time my defence is always never 0. ~35% chance to get hit by monsters + 75% chance of hits blocked = 8.75% actual chance to get hit. That rocks.

I also think that the defence helps a lot in baal runs and makes the merc itself a tank. I combine this with 90 res from GA and ~10k defense. That's enough for at least the first 4 waves, not for the fifth because Lister's pack ignores the targets defense. But then there's still the slow of Reaper's Toll...

Nevertheless I believe that HF mercs can be pretty good, although I have made only negative experience with them. Mine never last long because of their low def. Although they slow down the enemies they get raped by archers or similar monsters. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

14. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

Does merc defense drop to zero when they "run" :)rolleyes:) towards enemies?

15. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

I am going to start a "Non Act 2 Merc Rally"! It seems like everyone uses an Act 2 for *every* class!! How on earth do you all manage to keep them all twinked up? I see some people with 20+ chars.... and apparently all using Act 2 Mercs.... how on earth do you find 20 really evil ethereal polearms of irrepressible doom? :boggle:

16. Pucho

Pucho Banned

we mule the same stick over and over again :D

17. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Aye, that's why I'd never consider taking a non-HF merc to Baal with a caster character. The only exception would be a Fishymancer, but they have their own form of crowd control.

crg

18. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

wow! :rolleyes: thx guys for all the infos. yeah, this is my first sorc on 1.11 i had one when 1.09 was still popular... that was... duh, 3 years ago? and im so exciting that im goin to have another one now, tal rasha sorc! i named her Queen Rasha--cool huh? :grin: --and she made her way to lvl 12 yesterday (still have long way to go!)

perhaps i'll try Reborn2k and Asmodeous' suggestions to choose defiance merc, and throw one point in cold armor. sounds tempting, doesnt it? :wink3:

thx once again!

19. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

My main MF sorc (Blizz) uses a HF merc with Reaper's, Eth Shaft, Eth Gaze. Only thing that ever trips him up is a Conviction caster-pack. I've considered switching to Defiance, especially now that I have GA/Kira's as an option, but it's hard to switch from a setup that has worked pretty much flawlessly.

20. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

I would also recommend a defensive act 2 merc, either defiance or HF, since I assume your sorc can do enough damage on her own and you only need a tank.

My sorc's defiance merc is very useful, specially for Meph runs. Once his aura activates, he is a much harder target compared to a might merc. I fit him with shaftstop and vamp gaze for the PDR and LL, and arm him either with Kelpie's Snare (for bosses) or Reaper's Toll (for the general monster population). He has a much higher survival rate than my zon's might merc, and a full rejuv can quickly restore his health.

My brother's hammerdin uses a HF merc with the same basic gear. The freezing effect is very useful when surrounded by a large mob. In this case, it is the slowdown effect which will allow you enough time to rescue him in case his life bar is low (full rejuv or teleport or whatever).