Best Merc for MF Sorc? Act 2 or Act 5 Mercs?

iamapoorman

Diabloii.Net Member
Best Merc for MF Sorc? Act 2 or Act 5 Mercs?

I need advice on which merc to choose for my MF Sorc (followed the meteor sorc's guide on this forum) but still torn whether to choose a merc from Act 2 (HF or DEF maybe) or Act 5 Barb Merc? I read that both are good but I need to know which one is better from your experience. My primary MF area is Mephi and Baal. If you recommend Act 5 Merc, what's the most suitable gear (doesn't have to have be MF gear per se, and I already know that ETH BOTD CCB, Enigma are best options)...

mathil

Diabloii.Net Member
the best tank mercs are a2 defensive and a5. a2 mercs are preferred now, a5 mercs use to be preferred. and the change isn't because of the changes in the game. its personal preference.

HF mercs aren't for tanking. they are very useful if you have a spammable skill and need time before the enemies reach you. meteor can be used in this manner, but u need to be really good at aiming it.

if you don't want to get that good at aiming or don't care enough to, then go for a tank. but keep in mind it will be slower killing.

I use a a5 merc in nl and a defiance merc in ladder, personally i think the defiance 1. survives better becuse he gets hit less and 2. I get hits less bcoz my def is better.

My a5 merc uses
doom
gaze
shaft

my act 2 defiance merc uses
reapers toll
elite skulders
elite gaze

so id go for an act2 defiance merc but as the last person said its all preferance

iamapoorman

Diabloii.Net Member
Firey_chasm said:
I use a a5 merc in nl and a defiance merc in ladder, personally i think the defiance 1. survives better becuse he gets hit less and 2. I get hits less bcoz my def is better.

My a5 merc uses
doom
gaze
shaft

my act 2 defiance merc uses
reapers toll
elite skulders
elite gaze

so id go for an act2 defiance merc but as the last person said its all preferance
Thanks for the advice. Ummm...where do you get the defiance merc again? Is it in nightmare or hell act 2?

theeellama

Diabloii.Net Member
iamapoorman said:
Thanks for the advice. Ummm...where do you get the defiance merc again? Is it in nightmare or hell act 2?
Defiance Mercs are available in Act 2 Normal and Hell; but if you get yours from Normal, you'll end up with a stronger merc; they get more stat points and life at equal levels.

st-hearts

Diabloii.Net Member
Ironically enough, Nightmare got shafted with Mercenary auras. You can get all three on a NM Offensive mercenary now, heh.

Helm: Don't care.
Weapon: Doom Runeword
Armor: Bramble Runeword

That's Might (Offensive NM), Doom (Defensive NM), and Thorns (Combat NM) all rolled into one.

As for the best mercenary, I usually don't waste time leveling my mercs, so I simply buy the highest level one available. Act 5 mercs are good for Pindle, I'd say.

~Hearts~