Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Merc for Hammerdin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Kid A, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Kid A

Kid A IncGamers Member

Best Merc for Hammerdin

So I'm trying to build a hammerdin, but I don't really know what the best merc for him is. Thoughts?

Is it true that a merc's life is lower the higher the level they are hired at? I think that is true for my other character's merc, but I don't know really.

What I mean is that a merc hired when it's level 50 will have lower life (and possibly other stats?) than the same class of merc hired at a low level and leveled to 50. Is this true?

Also, what is the best gear for a hammerdin/merc? - so I know what to shoot for...

EDIT: Also, reasons behind opinions would be helpful... :smiley:

2. XchokeholdX

XchokeholdX Banned

Well, I am sure a lot of players here have a different opinion, but I use a Freeze Merc from act 2. he slows down enemies long enough to make them crawl through 2 layers of hammers before getting blocked by my shield.

I also think a Defiance merc can help too, he is impossible to kill, and boosts your defense to insane levels.

As soon as you hit Act2 NM, hire your merc, and keep him close to you. Hire him at the lowest level possible, but dont sweat it, in the end, I do not think it matters that much.

3. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

As far as I know it's the difficulty level that matter, not the level itself. If you hire them in Normal they will have batter stats then if hired at NM, and even better than hell ones. Though it doesn't matter for Holy freeze and Might mercs, since you can only hire them at Nightmare...

4. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

defence on hammerdins is already good enough for pvm so i also chose the a2 hf merc just to slow down the enemies.

hammerdins can cost insane amounts and depending on what fcr bp u wanna hit will vary in gear. basic gear would be:

helm: shako / 2/20 circlet rare or 2/20/2 magical
    armor: enigma
    weapon: hoto / wiz / some very rare sceptor with fcr (i am not too sure what can spawn on these to make them godly)
    switch weapon: 3hs cta
    shield: spirit ST / hoz
    boots: varies
    gloves: magefist / trangs
    rings: sojs / fcr ring
    ammy: 2/20 crafted / maras

5. Kid A

Kid A IncGamers Member

Does anyone have more info on this? Verification?

Also, any more opinions on choice of mercs? Is Holy Freeze the accepted choice by everyone?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

6. Baki

Baki IncGamers Member

Sorry to spam, but I was listening to Kid A when I saw your name.

7. Doodlydo

Doodlydo IncGamers Member

So the best two are Defiance and Freeze, I'm starting to level up a Hammerdin from scatch(coming back to D2 after a very long break) so which one would be best for leveling a hammerdin with nothing but drop gear? I can always switch to a different one later when I get higher level and decent gear.

Thanks.

8. CdMagicFind

CdMagicFind IncGamers Member

http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/mercs.shtml

If you check the merc stats there's not different sets for every difficulty. Every NM A2 Merc is the same, etc.

Oh, and I'd go Holy Freeze/Insight or Defiance/Doom. Depending on what you do but usually I'd go HF/Insight. Defiance/Doom for short MF run sort of things.

9. Shockeclipse

Shockeclipse IncGamers Member

I have been extremely happy with my defiance merc....My def with hs and defiance is 19k+ and armed with an insight you will never have to worry about mana again.

10. Kid A

Kid A IncGamers Member

I guess I'll go for Holy Freeze/Insight. I assume that the auras stack, right? (otherwise this seems like a bad idea :smiley:): Holy Freeze from the Merc/Meditation from his weapon.

11. Big Boss

Big Boss IncGamers Member

yes both auras will work. the aura from the merc himself, holy freeze, won't activate until he in engaged in combat as you may or may not know.

12. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

I would vote for a HF Defiance merc. In other words a HF merc wielding a eth Doom Elite Polearm.
    You can also use a HF merc with insight, but if you have redemption (1 point), mana will not be a problem at all