Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Merc Builds

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Yerba, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Best Merc Builds

Im collecting merc builds at the moment because my characters seem too polished and, well, boring.

If you have made or seen an interesting merc build that is not a gmerc Id love to hear about it.

Also, Ive done the Insight thing a dozen times, Infinity too, Im really looking for something challenging, fun and unique to work with.

I guess Ill go first, this is my current attempt:

Fire-type Ironwolf (Act 3)
    Weapon: Last Wish Phase Blade
    Shield: Phoenix in 4os Ethereal Elite shield
    Armor: Eth Guardian Angel (possibly Up'd) with 5/5 Fire Facet
    Helm: Eth Shako with 5/5 Fire Facet

Why?
    I suppose this would be more for a melee character (currently being designed for a Dragonslayer [Zealot/1pt Smiter Uber-Runner]). The Last Wish offers Might Aura and Fade when struck as well as some other nice mods (Blinds Target $$) should the merc ever actually swing it; it's in a Phase Blade because I have one handy. Phoenix offers Redemption as a corpse clearer and some increased maximum resists as well as a hefty chunk of -%EFR. The Guardian Angel is mostly to finish off max resists, which should end up around 95/95/90/90; it also adds some block mods but Im not sure Ironwolves actually block. Shako because I have no idea what else to use. Fire Facets to bring the total -%EFR to -38% which should help out his damage a bit.

Well there you go; If you've seen something I haven't (quite likely) or like my build and would offer some advice Im interested in this topic and Ill greatly appreciate your insight.

P.S. Im not sure this is the proper forum for this topic but as there is no "Hirelings" forum I guess this is the most likely place to find some discussion.

Thank! :smiley:

2. leetserv

leetserv IncGamers Member

My merc is a cow killer. He can stand alone in a bunch of cows, not taking any damage. The setup is as follows:

Holy freeze merc. (Act 2 NM)
    Weapon: Etheral Superior Obedience Cryptic Axe (1084 or so max dmg)
    Armor: Leviathan with 23% PDR. (Any armors with this much PDR and lifesteal?
    Helm: Eth Vampire Gaze with 8% lifesteal and 20% PDR. (Self-found in pits :D)

Basically he deals so much damage he gets full life with a hit, and he has so much armor and PDR he takes very little damage. For the record, he also has max resists.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

I was just thinking about this merc last night. These were my thoughts.

Fire-type Ironwolf (Act 3)
    Weapon: HOJ or Hexfire
    Shield: Phoenix
    Armor: Trang set
    Helm: Trang set

I don't know if it'll syn +18 or +3. If it's 18 it would be deadly.

4. frish

frish IncGamers Member

+3 for sorc +18 for everyone else.
    now that sounds really interesting!

for my baba i use an act 2 freezer-lameo with
    eth forti
    eth andy
    botd

he survives pretty much everything...

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

The sad fact is: Act 3 mercs have terrible damage. It doesn't matter what you put on them, they're way behind the others. Not only do they have terrible damage, but their AI tells them to move instead of casting spells most of the time.

When I did pindle runs I used an act 5 merc, since I didn't want to wait around for the aura to activate, and I needed a strong shield in front of me. He used doombringer, andy's and maybe duriel's.

6. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Yeah I know the AI is a bit on the 'short-bus' side for the Ironwolves and yet that's not really the point; I can already kill anything in the game with the character Im designing the merc for very easily with no help.

This merc is more for style points and to give me something to do other than level another character. I like the Pride idea, on a Might merc it would be such an overpowering amount of melee damage it's almost total overkill.

I picked Act 3 because I have a spare PBLW yet I started thinking that maybe I wanted something that could help with PIs without casting Amp Damage or Decrepify over my Lifetap. Any ideas in that category?

The Trang's idea is very interesting indeed btw..

7. Black Market

Black Market IncGamers Member

act 1 rogue with Windforce 39%ed socketed. Fort armor & Delirium BV.
    Shoot in the 4000 dmg range, you want to marry her straight !

8. adecoy

adecoy IncGamers Member

i know that using a paladen that has a good amount of points into holy bolt can make a good healer for your merc too. if your talking about letting your merc do everything

9. LA Michigander

LA Michigander IncGamers Member

My merc:

Act 2 hell Defiance-

Doom eth cryptic axe (gives holy freeze aura)
    eth Duress wire fleece
    p eth vamp gaze w/ 40%ed jewel

10. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

My faves are:

On my MF sorc, Act2 Prayer merc
    Eth Insight Colossus Voulge (perfect level 17 Meditation)
    8%LL 15%DR Vamp Gaze (junky i know)
    Duriel's Shell

CBF is great on mercs, although not as important on this guy, since he's just there as kind of a Life/Mana well for the sorcy.

On my vanilla Fanatic Zealot, Act2 Might merc
    Eth Obedience Thresher
    12%LL Crown of Thieves (needs something else maybe)
    again, Duriel's Shell

CBF is important this time, he actually does pull his weight with killing things, so needs to be fast attacking all the time. With might+fanat, can reach 7.8k damage.

BTW @ LA Michigander, remove your merc's gear, and re-hire the same type in Normal difficulty, it will have higher stats than Hell mercs.

11. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

Not to burst the last poster's bubble, but that is just a myth. Mercs do not get higher stats if you hire them in one difficulty vs. another. Their rate of experience gain and their stat increases remain consistent throughout all the difficulties. That is to say, a level 86 merc, purchased in Hell difficulty will have the same stats as the level 4 merc you purchased back in Normal by the time he/she reaches level 86. People have been pushing this idea for a really long time, that if you hire a merc earlier then their stats will be better. It's just not true, and no one ever offers a basis for it. Perhaps the prior poster 'thinks' that's the case, or maybe someone told him/her that, but it isn't. Don't waste the money and the time...

12. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Actually since last patch Normal mercs have the same level when purchased as Hell mercs, i.e. if you are lvl 90 you can purchase an 80+ Normal merc, so there is no reason not to buy Normal, unless of course youre after a NM aura, in which case the same thing applies.

13. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Actually, you're wrong. I just ran a test, and these were the results:

Both Act 2 Combat mercs, both hired at level **.

All stats taken with no gear on merc.

Normal:

Life: 1950
    STR: 195
    DEX: 158
    DMG: 179-200
    DEF: 1430

resist all: 55

Hell:

Life: 1750
    STR: 187
    DEX: 150
    DMG: 163-183
    DEF: 1288

resist all: 49

As you can see, the normal-hired merc has higher stats at the same level than the hell-hired merc. Both have the same aura (Prayer), though that makes no difference to their stats.

If you want proof, go and hire a merc at a certain level from each difficulty, and see for yourself.

I am aware that manually leveling the merc doesn't result in higher stats, the stats are pre-set for each level.

14. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

Although not doing huge damage, but my smiter is using a tri-aura rogue (Holy Freeze, Holy fire, Holy shock) and she handles immune to physical ones pretty good for my smiter in PvM. Equipment:
    Ice bow
    Dragon armor
    Dream helm
    Although she has 7% life leech from the ice bow, she is pretty weak unless life tap exists. And pretty cool with the frost nova and hydra on striking too!

15. LA Michigander

LA Michigander IncGamers Member

Really... thats crazy, never knew that,
    Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

16. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

17. NarmoTheArapino

NarmoTheArapino IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze Merc

Head: Andy Visage
    Body: Eth Dusk Shroud Fort (3003 DEF!)
    Wep: Eth CV Insight

I'm going to change the weapon and the head with an Eth Thresher Insight and an Eth 8/?/20 V. Gaze when I get them :)

18. dave

dave IncGamers Member

My lightning sorc's merc:

Act 2 Holy Freeze
    Eth Infinity Thresher
    Eth Boneweave Fortitude 32xx def (perfect 30res/1.5life)
    8/20 Gaze with ed/str jewel

Only thing that kills him is IM or vipers' poison cloud

19. jabarony

jabarony IncGamers Member

I use similar, but I use Faith Bow, Fort, Delirium - with my melee Barb. The Faith auras kicks butt and the confuse-cast on helm saved me a few times....and she does some damage of her own.

20. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Alright so I tested my Ironwolf build and It doesn't work as well as I'd hoped. I borrowed a Phoenix and equipped him with everything on the build list except nothing was ethereal and no facets.

He performed mildly well over about 2 hours worth of Pit runs but Lifetap never proc'd and he was dead more than he was Faded. The Might aura didn't seem to make much of a difference really; one shot kills before and slightly more one shot kills after - I should have realized that wasn't going to help much. He did nice amounts of fire damage but the ridiculous AI loooooves little Inferno blasts that do nothing and refuses to cast Fireball which can potentially kill things without my help (before he dies).

Here's my next idea (well it's not really mine but this is what Im doing next):

Cold-Arrow Rogue (Act 1)
    Weapon: 'Ice' Blade Bow
    Armor: Eth Ormus or Eth Fortitude
    Helm: Eth Nightwing

Cold Facets wherever possible. Why not?

The reasoning here is of course with Holy Freeze and Cold Arrow she does lots of Cold damage, an element several of my melee characters are missing. Ice gives the HF and adds to skill damage while lowering cold resistances. The rest of the gear just fleshes out the cold damage since there's Life steal on the bow.

Do any of you know if the Chilling Armor from Fortitude is affected by +skill damage and -enemy cold resistance?