Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Meph Killer(untwinked)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by tuxor, Oct 15, 2006.

1. tuxor

tuxor IncGamers Member

Best Meph Killer(untwinked)

Is a Blizzsorc still the best low-budget Meph-killer, or would a Blizzballer/Meteorb be better? going up to about level 70~75, btw

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

In solo games, all three will do very well. Just use the moat trick if you are untwinked.

In max player games, a pure Blizzsorc will have the edge. Of course, the drops aren't all that much better in max player games. It's better to run solo and run fast and often (not so fast that you'll get temp banned).

So you've got three choices. Depends on what else you would want to do.

3. tuxor

tuxor IncGamers Member

alright, well i'm thinking about doing quest drops, so i'll probably be doing a lot in max or near-max games. i'm probably going to do a Blizzballer, with no meteor and probably Shiver Armor for the extra defense so i don't die. as much as I like the moat trick, i like insight mercs more, and they die during moat tricks, i think i'll just bob and weave

4. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Blizzballs, like Meteorbs, are in their prime when running level 85 areas and all the bosses.

If all you are going to do is run Meph for the quest drops in multiple player games, then a pure Blizz sorc is ideal. Fully synergised Blizzard and a slvl 32 CM will annihilate Meph even in 8 player games.

You won't really need Insight, since Meph will die fast. At worst, a mana pot or two and you'll be fine. But if you really like and want the Insight merc, then the merc will tank, and you'll need to give him PDR% gear and max LR. The only problem with pure Blizzsorcs are the CI vampires that spawn close to Meph. They can be avoided (or not triggered) if you tele carefully, or killed by your merc when you tele on top of them.

A non-Meteor Blizzball will be more adept at handling the vampires, but you lose some Blizzard damage as a result.

EDIT:
    Oh, and remember that all the cold armours do not prevent you from being hit by elemental attacks e.g. Meph's lightning or the vampire's fireballs. If you aren't going to be tanking yourself, then the cold armours will be of limited use to you, especially if you go with a Blizzball that needs to spend her skill points wisely.

5. tuxor

tuxor IncGamers Member

i think i'm going to do a blizz sorc, because at level 75ish or wherever i am while running meph, my damage will be crap for a blizzball

6. LRSAIA

LRSAIA IncGamers Member

Blizzball is for those who have had a couple chars for MF and have at least a decent stable of gear to outfit from. They are at their best with lots of +skills and lose their bite fast without them.

Cheap meph killer = blizzard by far. If you love insight just hold a low req insight for tele down to meph and don't resurect the merc when he gets killed. You can still moat without problems and have all the mana you can spend. Even for a new char/account the runes are not that hard to get....

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I agree if all you want to do with this char is farm meph - then go pure blizzard.

I don't think holding insight yourself will work very well without a lot of other specialty gear (which kinda defeats the point of having a cheap meph runner). You'll want a fair amount of FCR to tele quickly. I'd aim for 105%, but I suppose 63% will work if it absolutely has to. Even hitting 63% while holding insight is a pain, 105% is technically possible, but not worth it.

I think you just need to be prepared to go without your merc. You're not doing a long run, so you shouldn't have to worry about running out of blue pots. If you can hit 63% without magefists, you can try frostburns I suppose. You could even drop 25 points into energy if you really want.

8. Vizjerei

Vizjerei IncGamers Member

wasnt it helvete who just posted at guide? for a pure blizz sorc, doing meph with the first kill bug or something?

9. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member