Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Melee sorc build?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Panix, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

Best Melee sorc build?

I'm getting tired of mfing on my blizzard sorc doing bugged meph runs so I was thinking about making a melee sorc. I enjoyed playing my zealot so I thought making a zealsorc would be fun. :D Obviously dual dream will be a given but I'm wondering what skill guide would be the best to follow? Some of the guys I've read seem to be outdated so I was seeing if someone could point me in the direction as to what to go with.

I have a 4os crystal sword. Would it be best to up it before making passion?

Also, I was wanting to look at stat distribution and equipment recommendations.

Thanks

Also, would a zealsorc be vaiable to run stuff like the pit? I figured if I didn't have much mf, it'd be a fun build to run through alvl85 areas for socketables or atleast run bugged andy. I won't be using this for PvP

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Best Melee sorc build?

Phase Blades have better speed & range; a much better weapon for Passion (good luck "upgrading" the Crystal sword though :wink3:).

I've played a couple of PvM melee sorcs, but dual-Dream is way too expensive for me, so I can't really recommend anything beyond:

1) enough +skills to zeal to get 5 attacks per cycle
    2) enough IAS to hit max attack speed
    3) your physical damage will be squat, so LifeTap is really the only viable leech (read: use Dracul's Grasp).
    4) my Zeal sorc was a real tank (it's how she was designed). As a boss-killer she was fast & safe, but didn't have MF.
    5) I found block-lock quite annoying. I'd consider a low-block/high-ES approach if you can spare the skill points.

3. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

So I can't upgrade a Crystal Sword to Phase Blade? Damn. I guess I'll have to try and trade for one then. Is there something better to make Passion in? I'd rather not make it in a zerker axe because I hate having to repair and eat up my orts.

I'm not worried about expense. I'll either end up robbing my smiter for stuff like Dracul's Grasp or end up trading for what I need. Is the Fire/Melee sorc for Uber Trist the best way to go or what?

4. glisses

glisses IncGamers Member

yeah, unfortunately, you can only upgrade rare and unique items.

5. sirpoopsalot

Not unless it's unique or rare - in which case, you won't be making any runewords in it. (edit: pwnt)

As for the other options, Cryptic Swords seem quite popular. Basically, 'zerker axe, phase blade, and cryptic sword seem to be the three most popular one-handers - by far.

... and I play single-player, so I have no idea about what works in uberTrist. :grin:

6. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

I'm not looking to make this sorc to do uber trist. That's what I have my zealot for :tongue:

Sorry, I shoulda consulted Arreat Summit for talking out my ash about upgrading. :embarassed: Oh well.

Still, does anyone have recommendations on stat point distribution or equipment? Is Zeal the best way to go? Werebear sorc seems kinda lame.

7. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

Here is mine,

Equipment
    Dream Diadem
    Dream Hyperion
    Passion Phase Blade
    COH Dusk Shroud(ViperMage maybe better)
    Highlord
    Raven*2
    LOH
    T-God
    Marrowwalk
    Anni
    Hellfire
    Fire Skill GC*n
    life/mana sc

Merc act2 HF aura
    Andys
    Infinity
    Fort

Skills
    Max warmth, enchant, fm, lm
    1 point into sf,tp,frozen armor
    rest into frozen armor or TK

Stats
    Dex, block 75%
    rest go into vit

8. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

That looks pretty good. How well does this work for ya in PvM?

9. accipite

it is overwhelming. the damage shows on window is 50k.
    she can kill most of the monsters by 1 hit in 8pp game.

10. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

That looks pretty good. I need to get a 4os Phase Blade and the 2 dreams but I think I have most everything else (minus the GCs). I think I'll try that build out. Thanks, man.

If I don't get the GCs, how big of a difference will it make? Would it be better to get lite GCs?

Quick question I just thought about..... what will a 4os Phase Blade run me? I checked my socket mule and I unfortunately don't have one. :undecided:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  11. MrOzio

MrOzio Banned

I built a bear sorc rather than a zealer sorc. I love the little shemale and here is the guide I picked off of...

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=550300&highlight=shocking+shemale

The max block route is awesome, she hardly ever takes dmg and she still has 3K life with an oak sage charge out. (I opted for a botd pb for 6 frame attack rather than a 6x shael pb for 5 frames)

12. Gimmershred

Gimmershred IncGamers Member

if you can put your meleesorc on hold for about 2 weeks, i'll have a website running with every information about all kinds of meleesorc possible. Currently it's under construction. If you want to build a strong dualdreamzealsorc fast then i suggest my post in here:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=643665

It follows the same principles as the blockbear mentioned by MrOzio in my shockingshemale guide.
    You will loose some damage through using res charms but it's absolutely worth it imho.

p.s. i hope this build doesn't get too widespread, since i like my uniqueness. If there should be 1 cookiecutter for a strong zealsorc, this should be it. It will probably never become cookiecutter though, through the need of many res gc's and the loss of many +skills, wich will bother people too much. But those always seem to be the people that come running back with questions why their meleesorc dies so quick.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  13. Daveinacave

Daveinacave IncGamers Member

Whats LOH?

14. accipite

the light damage is 1-37k, the fire damage is 11-14k.
    if u replace fire gc to light gc, the light damage might boost to 55k, fire damage might be 6-9k(it is a estimate number, not exactly).
    so it is up to u to using which kind of gc.
    i like fire gc since i wanna take more care of light immunes, and more AR bonus for both me and my merc.

15. accipite

it is Laying of Hand

16. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

I've started on my melee sorc. I just got tired of making alot of the run of the mill builds and having a sorc using zeal seems like something different. :D

I've getting her through nightmare at the moment. Maxed Enchant, almost maxed LM. I guess I'll start on fire mastery. I'm thinking about going the enchant route for the boost to enchant. Having a strong dual elemental attack seems the best for being more versatile.

Should I go with energy shield though? I'm use to getting screwed by ES and teleporting but I've mostly just ran caster sorcs up until now.

17. sirpoopsalot

Personally, I didn't like full-ES (20 hard points in TK, ~10 soft points in ES) on my melee/Passion sorc.

A lot of random boss packs in Hell have manaburn (which is severely bugged), and ES sorcs often have trouble with manaburn monsters because it only takes one hit to drop your shield and leave you exposed with your pathetically small amount of life (so the second hit hurts a lot, and you're probably stuck in hit recovery). Also, if you max Enchant, Warmth, FM, and LM, that won't leave you many points to make ES "efficient".

However, I'd actually consider a one-point-ES sorc though, but still not spending any stat points into energy. It won't take much of an attack to bottom out your mana supply and drop your energy shield, but ES will at least act as damage reduction during that one or two attacks, and you don't desperately need mana with this build anyways.

18. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

Okay. I just got my zeal sorc in hell and I've probably screwed something up since I'm dying a good bit. I'm running chains of honor instead of guardian angel for armor. I've only got 59% block with 224 points in dex. Is losing the +65 to res all worth the 20% increased blocking? I'm wondering where else I've gone wrong :undecided:

I'm in act 2 hell just going through the quests because I wanted to see how it'd fair in normal combat and I'm chugging full juvs pretty quick. Sometimes, I get hammered and just die.

Level 70 - MorphineHaxOr - USEast Softcore
    165 str
    224 dex
    159 vit
    54 nrg

chance to block: 59%
    res: 75/75/85/75

Dream Bone Visage: 30% FHR, 18 resall
    Dream Troll Nest: 25% FHR, 5 res all (should I reroll this?)
    CoH Archon Plate
    Passion Phase Blade: 79% Bonus to AR
    Highlord's Wrath
    Laying of Hands
    Ravenfrost: +207 AR, 20 Dex
    Rare ring: +45 AR, 3% ml, +38 life, 10% Poison Res (should I change this to a bk ring or another ravenfrost?)
    Thundergod's Vigor: 173% ED
    Gore Rider: 196 ED

19/18/10 Anni
    12/16 Sorc Torch
    8x %5 res all, 10% cold res, 7% poison res small charms for max res

Warmth = 12
    Fire Mastery, Lightning Mastery, Enchant = 20
    Static Field, Frozen Armor, Teleport = 1

Holy Freeze Merc =Tal Mask, Archon Plate Fort, Infinity CA

19. sirpoopsalot

Sorcs are fragile - going melee and being ~12 levels below the monsters your facing is asking for trouble.

I say run Baal in Nightmare (full games are good for experience) to gain another ~10 levels. Then try again. (And try to get to at least the 60 FHR breakpoint - it'll help).

Also, personally I wouldn't have pursued blocking with a crappy blocking shield like Dream, though non-ES, non-blocking, melee sorc sounds a little rough too.

20. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

Woo! I got a friend to rush me through the rest of hell and I did some baal runs and I'm now at level 80. I switched out the Chains of Honor for a Guardian Angel and socketed it with an um. I also switched out the laying of hands for a dracul's grasp. The rare ring was switched for another with 8% ll, 3% ml and str. I ended up also re-rolling the dream shield and scored with 19% res all but only got 22% FHR. I had to use more small charms but now, my resistences are 90/90/95/90 with 75% block. Man, you wanna talk about something that makes a HUGE difference.

The life tap doesn't trigger much but it has saved me a couple times by allowing me to leech from the stuff I couldn't normally. I got warmth, enchant, lm, fm all maxed and I decided to throw a point in thunderstorm. My zeal AR with Enchant is 6.2k with damage sitting at 2k-36k. 800 life w/ BO (I have a 5/4/3 CtA crystal sword with a spirit monarch on switch).

I was able to go through solo and do my hellforge and I finished up some other quests like jade statue and lam esse tome. I don't think I woulda been able to before the changes.

Should I continue to throw points in thunderstorm? I have only +5 to all skills (1 from highlords, 3 from torch, 1 from anni). I didn't know if I should get chilling armor and points in it or put more points in frozen armor.

I'm gonna take a break for a bit but I'm gonna go see how I fair in a baal run with more people in the game.